First Band Question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by LaceSensor1, Apr 15, 2016.

1. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

For my first experience with a band....Should I be pretty open to a chance to play lead guitar in a band, even if it's not exactly my flavor of song writing? Or would it be best to keep looking?

I did my first audition today. I would like some experience, but 95% of of this bands stuff is 1, 4, 5 progressions with original lyrics. To me it sounds like 50s rock, but the band leader said it's a blues/pop/zydeco? mix.

Just wondering if it would be worth it to gain the experience....or to pass if I get called back.

2. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

I'm more into popular blues (bb king, srv), jam (Allman brothers, phish), and funk.

Essential I'm into progressive jam music, so this stuff would not be that.

3. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

*ALL* experience is good experience, and 1-4-5 is the raw material of legends.

enharmonic, marktweedy and CGrisamore like this.
  4. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

It just sounded like cheesy music to me, but then again it was just me and the band leader who plays an electric keyboard. Maybe with the rest of the band it wouldn't sound so artificial?

Phnurt and Turi like this.
  5. tymj2112

tymj2112 Member

I'm with Phnurt -- sounds like good experience to me

Phnurt likes this.
  6. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Go for it. Learning is a good thing. As with all experiences, there is a negative and a positive, concentrate on the positive and Lear from the negative.

Phnurt likes this.
  7. Turi

Turi Member

Mate I'd give it a go, see how it feels.
    Just make sure the guy knows you're also down for playing with other people, so you don't feel trapped into something you don't like, or don't feel awkward about leaving it etc etc

It might have just sounded cheesy cuz of the electric keyboard man, no joke.

Could totally be cool with the whole band.

But yeah, don't close off being open to other musical ventures!
    Make it known that you're also keen on playing other musics with other people too!

Memphistokid and Phnurt like this.
  8. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Its all orignial stuff. I will do the second audition if given the chance. I can't describe what it feels like, just somehow very odd. I've jammed with plenty of people my age and everything feels "of this time". But with this guy even his personality was just from a different angle than me. Nice guy, but different. Maybe its the age difference? They are 40's and 50's and I'm 27.....

The one huge difference was this guy had material on top of material. Complete songs. Most of my jamming experience is just that, no real structure for an audience.

9. Turi

Turi Member

Mate if something is off about the guy - pass.

I jammed with loads of people that I didn't mesh with before finding some I did and some of those people were just off.
    Like, there was something up with them in their brain box or something.
    You'd feel like spending more time playing with them would be a waste of life.

Could be he thinks you were a bit off as well, and won't bother calling you back, who knows.

Hard to imagine a 50 year old dude getting a whole lot of paying gigz with his original 3 chord electric keyboard songs though! Gotta admit!

Phnurt likes this.
  10. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Off was the general feeling I got. Our playing meshed but its like we are from different planets for personality. It was so strange I can't even explain it in words. When his wife showed up to the jam room I felt more "normal". Maybe he did too much LSD in the 60's or had a stroke or something. The guy was very very into the music and even more particular about how the instruments would fit together. But he had an old man + napolean dynamite kind of vibe. Almost like he was in the special class.

To the point about gigs, he said they have a small following and also do studio work. He said the producer at the studio kicked their drummer out for bad playing so they ditched him. He has been replaced but the lead guitar is open because the last guy was ditched for not showing up to practice. I listened to some recordings, better than anything I've recorded. But I'm Jimi Hendrix, experimental sounding. There stuff just sounded like country classic rock. Eagles / Marshal Tucker Band -ish.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  11. Phnurt

Hey now! You leave us 50 year olds in peace you young whipper-snapper!:rotflmao

And it's not that hard to imagine a generally older band drawing in a paying gig. As I said before, *all* experience is good experience and it's not like you're MARRYING the group. Play with 'em for a while and if they don't perform well "in the bedroom" then divorce their sorry tuckuses! :p

Turi likes this.
  12. Turi

Turi Member

He sounds dedicated.

But imo, **** dat.

Phnurt likes this.
  13. Turi

Turi Member

50+ year old originals band featuring electric keyboards hits your pub and says "we wanna play here"

What say you?

14. BigSB

BigSB Member

Can you see/hear yourself owning your spot, being a valued (BY them) AND valuable (TO them) contributor?

If so, do like Jimmie Vaughan did with The Fabulous Thunderbirds; leave your mark on the guitar spot in the band so that when you leave, everyone that follows you has to deal with the weight of your legacy.

If you don't see yourself (in ANY band, ever) as doing anything except fulfilling someone else's expectations, then it's not the gig for you, no matter how much you like or love it.

Phnurt likes this.
  15. Phnurt

Well if it were my Pub I'd ask for a demo "tape" to see whether they sucked or rocked! You can guess the outcome for both possible scenarios.

Turi likes this.
  16. BigSB

BigSB Member

All that matters is what they're puttin' down when they count off tune #1, whether live or on a CD or on a website link.

I don't care if someone is 15 or 75 if they can play. I'd take a player the age of Willie Nelson over the flavor of the month on top-40 any day, at any price, regardless of "draw" if they can bring it live. The cream always rises, which is how the band got its name.

Remember, if it's MY pub, actually knowing when and how to book music is a requirement for working for me. I've been a music booker before, both for my own groups and for others at various venues. I know what to look for in a combination of potential popularity AND trust that an act's music is good enough to win strangers over.

17. BigSB

BigSB Member

Back to the OP:

If it's YOUR job to lose, YOUR role to play, then get in there, work your arse off and help steer the ship.

If you feel like the music is stagnant, stuck in a rut, unrealistically narrow or in any other way not made for you, then take the audition process as far as you want to go with it for the sake of experience under your belt, then level with them and tell them in so many words that it's not for you, but thanks.

Good luck!

Turi and Phnurt like this.
  18. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

Most of us don't know exactly what we want until we've had a few experiences that were not quite right. So I'm in the "any experience is good experience" camp.

But if I were talking to these 40-50 yeah old guys, I'd say, what are you doing? This kid is not gonna stick around. He's gonna have different expectations, different taste, different cultural markers... He's gonna re-join his own tribe after 6 weeks.

Turi and Phnurt like this.
  19. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Most likely what would happen. But who knows. I'm not experienced enough to know if I will be able to make a mark or enjoy/regret time put in.

Just a wierd enough, first meeting, to question going any further. But with no band experience, I'm conflicted

20. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I've got a couple bands I'm in right now, none of them presently gigging I might add, and I've told all of them that I'll cover any obligations I've made, but will only stay as long as I can. If this band is the one that starts getting busy and the other bands are interfering, I'll quit them, and vice versa. If you'd still like me to play then I'll stick around and we'll all benefit.

I'd rather be playing than not.

marktweedy, Phnurt and LaceSensor1 like this.