First build.......with pics. :)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Amadhunter, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Amadhunter

Amadhunter Member

This is my first S type build. Of couse, it's not a "real build" by a true luthiers standard, but a parts caster.
    I bought a saga kit, trashed the neck, pu's, electronics, trem bridge, and pickguard. Going to use a musickraft, warmoth, or ebay neck of some kind. Got a set of Rocketfire 60's pu's comming, a trem from stewmac, and wired pickguard from mojo.
    I'm using velspar primer, yellow premium enamel paint, and clear coat. Here's some pics of the body, it has some orange peel, but I'll get that fixed with some wet sanding, and additional coats of color. :) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do ya think? Any suggestions, opinions on which neck to go with? I don't want to have to do a ton of fretwork, don't have the tools, knowhow just yet to tackle that. Gonna use the Saga neck to practice on though. ;) :)

2. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

I see some slight sanding through the color at the roundovers. I'd just make sure you have the color even enough that you're happy and then plan on enough clear to get a level finish. Then be prepared to sand. Start sanding in the area that will be under the pickguard. IF you don't sand through to the color and get the finish leveled out, you're good. Plan to shoot more clear than you think you'll need. That way you won't have sand throughs.

As far as necks, USACG necks are nice if you don't want to have to do anything. If you don't mind a little fret edge work, SRO-21 from Allparts is an easy neck to work with. The SRO-C is my favorite but the frets on that need to be dressed (level crown polish) in my opinion. They're a little on the tall side before fret dressing. Perfect though afterwards and play like butter.

Anyways, hope that helps. You'll see how rewarding and challenging at the same time that guitar building is. Good luck with the project!

3. edward

edward Supporting Member

The neck is all wrong! Fender never made a two bolt ...gotta go three bolt for that 70s vibe. And your neck pocket is way to loose. I don't envy all that fret work you're looking at either. You planning on a rosewood board or you going full pine??

Edward

4. Amadhunter

Amadhunter Member

Thanks Nick, and ed! :) Hey, take it easy, that is my very first from scratch neck! You'd be surprised how smooth it is, the camera doesn't pick up the nuance, or the frets already on that two bolt balsa board. ;) :) :)

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

Nice "in your face" color, really! One day I'll get something that screams out just by looking at it. Post when you're done ...so far so good!
    :BEER
    Edward