first BYOC...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by musician'swife, Aug 30, 2008.

1. musician'swife

musician'swife Member

I was just wondering what a good first BYOC would be if I wanted a fuzz pedal...anybody know?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've built both and they both are great sounding units... It just depends if you want a fuzz face or a tonebender

3. musician'swife

musician'swife Member

ummm...i don't know...its for my husband, a surprise...i know he wants a good fuzz...is the mouse a good one or is that more difficult?

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

The Mouse (based on the ProCo Rat) is more difficult - the ESV Fuzz Face and the ESV Tonebender are both SUPER easy to build.

5. sabby

sabby Member

Can you sneak a peak and tell us what he has already? Also, what kind of music does he play?

6. jay66

jay66 Member

I have the ESV Fuzz and it is an easy build plus it sounds great. I think they still give first time customers a confidence builder kit to practice on and get familiar with how things go together.

7. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Iv'e got the MKII and it's great! You can't go wrong with either I don't think.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I built the Clone Fuzz...I think it would be an excellent first build. It isn't hard (but you need to check that you can recognize all the parts, and read through the steps all the way before starting...)

Read ahead also as you build, there were some things I did in a different order because I could see what was coming and felt it was easier. On some builds also I have had to ream the holes for the pots a little or for the power in...no big deal though.

The fuzz clone they give you two sets of transistors, so you have some real options for what kind of fuzz you want it to be. I don't recall now if they had this with the CF but some builds they give you hints about "if you prefer X adjust this resistor to be X instead of Y" etc.

Tailoring. I think my CF is as good a fuzz as most of mine. I like it a lot, and use it often.

9. the recluse

the recluse Member

Having built both, as well as a bunch of other circuits, I recommend the ultimate fuzz over the tonebender for a first time builder. First of all the UF has fewer parts, but also, the Tonebender can be a bit more finnicky when it comes to biasing the transistors. They both sound great, but if you are new to building it doesn't get much more simple than the ultimate fuzz.

It's not technically a fuzz, but you may want to look at the BYOC 250+ as an alternate for a first time build. Also a low parts count and great sounding.

10. bduguay

bduguay Member

Yup, like everyone has said so far, either of the 2 fuzz kits are the answer for you and your husband. If you have any problems I'll gladly help out.
    Just let me know.
    B.

11. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

I built a MKII with no prior experience of soldering and the pedal turned out great. The confidence booster kit helps ALOT.