1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

First clip of Flexi

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, May 30, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

I recorded this super quick, no dialing in clip of my Flexi this afternoon. It still has the 12AT7 in the boost slot. EL34. I had it on no master 20 watt. As this is my first attempt, it is a learning curve since there are so many tonal possibilities! THD cab too...

Here is the clip http://www.scottlernermusic.com/thd/edthdfirst1.MP3

For giggles, I recorded this clip of my Fuchs SLX100 moments later. To be fair, I know how to dial it in ;)

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/thd/ed100b.MP3

Strange how they both sound like me!

Scott

2. scottl

scottl Member

Let me reiterate, this was not a contest. This was my first ever clip of the Flexi. I can do MUCH better!!

3. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

20 watt Flexi? I like it. Tonewise great, playing wise excellent.

4. Marcello

Marcello Member

couldn't be more true !!

5. mailman

mailman Member

Sweeeeet, Scott!:dude

6. Normster

Normster Member

Yes, they do both sound like you. What's up with that?

On the current settings, I like the edge on the Flexi clip. Don't smooth it out too much or it'll sound just like your Fuchs. ;)

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Yep the Flexi sounds sharper, more raw, the Fuchs more smooth and "creamy" obviously it both sounds like Scott without a doubt.
    For a first dial in pretty good.
    Question I guess is can the Flexi give you a tone you like that the Fuchs wont? Or ehhh am I getting this wrong?

the playing btw .. I wish I would ever in my lifetime be that good but I know I wont though I keep trying to improve.

8. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Pai! The Flexi gives a great hairy tone. Definately different than the Fuchs and I do like it! Also, with the boost cranked, it has a fuzz face type tone that is ubercool!

Scott

9. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Mailman, Marcello, Normster, and Weldaar. I liked the tone on the clip but I thought it could have had a tad more lows and a tad less of the edge. Probably nothing mic postion and a small twist of amp dials would not take care of!

Scott

10. journo

journo Member

Hi Scott,

For this kind of track with that kind of guitar and that style I prefer the sound of the Fuchs.

It would be very interesting to hear a slightly more aggressive playing Scott L using a Strat with the Flexi. Lo and behold, the world is changing :D

BTW, any chance of you posting the backing track? I need something to hone my Scott L influences on.

Cheers,

Mats N

11. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Sounds great! It definitely sounds like you, I like the extra cut that Flexi has in the mix!

12. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Yep still sounds Like you Scott.

Doesn't have that smoothness, but I would have not expected that with EL34's. Can these units take 6L6's I wonder.......hum ?

13. markp

markp Member

Sounded wonderfull scott.
    Thanks for throwing one down with the Flexi,It has been fun hearing how each player with differant set ups is sounding differant with Flexi.

Woodyworld quote
    "Doesn't have that smoothness, but I would have not expected that with EL34's. Can these units take 6L6's I wonder.......hum ?"

Trying to clone scotts Fuchs tone ,I will use a tube that has good high end chime with out too much bite(favoritw here is GT 6ca7GE also has a full round bottom ,trick I found with this tube is it wants to be biased higher or it will be to open and bity)and the mix it with something smooth like 5881.or even less bitey 34.
    Then for preamp tubes V2 makes biggest differance a smooth at7 or a my fave ge 5751.For v1 I have three tubes with verying amounts of smoothness with old blackplate ax7(GE I think)being fave here.
    The trick is to get power amp tubes with the some clearity and some chime to offset the smoother preamp tubes and still give you some of that chewyness.
    After playing with all that then move on to low input with a clean boost and it is a whole new batch of fun.

Of course Scott doesnt need to clone the Fuchs because he already has it going on.

14. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Many Thanks for posting all the extra information, I was going to have a look at these sometime, damn useful to know it can take a variety of tubes...............

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Scott,

It still sounds like you mate - my eight year old daughter, who was passing, thought the Flexi clip sounded flat! No comment from ol' cloth ears here......

I haven't had an opportunity to play a Flexi (I lie, I had the opportunity but failed to take it up) but a certain luthier I am fond of told me in no uncertain terms that this amp has very beautiful cleans. Have you tried them? You got a Strat?

Best, Pete.

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yeah - both tones cool, but Flexi perhaps a bit more unique.
    Lots of killer sounds in that THD - awesome for a quick test clip...
    Caveat: I'm just listening on computer speakers here...

17. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Screw me dead!! I love that you too don't let a little thing like gear stand in the way of your tone. Love it mang!

18. markp

markp Member

That is amazing how both Scott and Ed have that ability!
    I on the other hand totally change my technuiqe and style depending on the amp.On Avenger I am a shread monster and on Flexi I am touchy /feally blues player,on a twin I would no dought turn into a country picker.

19. glynn

glynn Member

Nice! I like the grit the flexi adds.

MORE!!