First clips of Tonespotter speaker

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, Jun 3, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Hi,

I just did these this morning. I did not even tune my guitar...sorry ;)

The gear was Fuchs SLX100, Baker RF on Wolfetone bridge hum, Bob Burt antique pine V front 2X12 with 1 Wizard and 1 Tonespotter. I miced the Spotter on these two clips.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/eminence/100printsNoLoop047MC47FB1.MP3 Fat and chewy!

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/eminence/100printsNoLoop047MC47FB2.MP3

A couple of caveats....

The Speaker was brand spanking new. No playing time at all. Maybe 15-30 minutes.

The clips are a tad dark on top. I am fixing that tonight. Unless you all like it this way....

Fwiw, I am ordering two more Spotters since I dig them!!

Scott

2. Marcello

Marcello Member

Scott, thanks for posting this, sounds very good and phat!!

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Nice playing and tones Scott! It does not need to be any brighter to my great ear. ;) I like it "as is". :cool:

4. fig

fig Member

Nice tone (and playing), Scott.
    I like the brightness of the 2nd clip better.

5. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Duude,
    just when I thought your tones could not get chewier and nicer here you go again.These sounds are insanely good,although I think I can hear a lil' speaker harshness from not being broken in,but these tones fit you like a glove,man!Not to mention that the playing on both clips is insane also-I love it when you go for it off the cuff with reckless abandon-you bastard child of Sco and Robben on steroids:dude definitely loved it as you can tell,

Vlad

6. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I can't really distinguish subtleties of timbre with the current sound system in my computer, but you're doing more legato stuff than I remember you doing before--and I like it very much.

Might have to crack out the transcription software...a couple of the things you did gave me some ideas. :AOK

7. Normster

Normster Member

Cool! I listened in the footprints thread and commented as follows:

Scott, I got a chance to listen to the two new clips this morning. First impression was...hmmm, sounds like Scott tearin' it up again. ;)

Just listened again through better speakers. Great tone and playing on both, but there is a sweetness about clip 2 that I really like. Not as chewy as clip 1, but it has a gorgeous singing tone on the high notes. The extra grit on clip 1 sure gives it great growl on the low notes, though. :D

8. scottl

scottl Member

9. L5player

L5player Member

I like this one a lot, Scott. It is slightly more transparent than the others where I can hear the effect of your touch on the instrument better. That element is somewhat lost on the other clips with the compression. The tone is incredible as well as the playing. :)

Most of the items discussed about what was used is foreign to me. Going to have to spend more time here learning about gear! LOL

Jim

10. Normster

Normster Member

That's odd, Scott. You added some bass to the amp, and yet in comparing the takes, the first one now sounds like it had a blanket over the cab, the second sounds boxy, the third is much sweeter, and the last clip is absolutely perfect. As Jim said, very transparent. It seems counter-intuitive that adding bass would add clarity. What am I missing? (Less treble cut on the guitar?)

11. scottl

scottl Member

Simple... By allowing a tad more bass through the OD stage I was able to run the tonestack slightly less bassy which cleared the mud out. The extra OD bass compensated by leaving the complexities in the bottom.

I also miced about 1 inch more center cone on clips 3 and 4.

Lastly, the speaker now has an hour of playing time on it. Maybe it is softening.

Scott

12. marinblues

marinblues Member

I thought that the first tone suited this track better. Also, you really set a nice mood of melody which complements well the backing. Very nice. What was the difference in setup between the two clips?

Marin

13. sergv

sergv Member

Fat and chewy indeed. Nice lyrical phrasing ... did I tell you before I love your double stop licks?

14. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

scott, this is great stuff. each of the tones were perfect, even though i liked the last 3 a little better than the first one. :D

but i find it hard to concentrate on the tone when there are such staggering musical moments occuring. i love where your playing is right now. i've heard your clips for years, and these, to me, are heaping with fresh ideas and unpredictability.

very tasty!!

15. Marcello

Marcello Member

have you experienced any cone cry with the spotter ? those emi threads freak me out !

16. scottl

scottl Member

I have not heard any on any of mine....

Oh, here are two super quick wanks from this morning. I was trying to get more smooshy bass in the tone. How are they? Pretty weak playing on one of them :eek: That is what I get for not having coffee first!

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/june/100printsFixedNew2.MP3 < weaker playing, better mic position/tone

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/june/100printsFixedNew.MP3 < more gain, tone set much diff, diff mic position - mic position hurt tone I think

17. Marcello

Marcello Member

i liked the 2nd, better playing, tone is very good IMO

18. scottl

scottl Member

Hi Jason,

I have not noticed any cry, but my time with the Spotter is limited. They are new and I have not played them much more than these clips. I have not tried the TR65 speakers.

Also, I have a new and better Spotter clip. How is this one? I have been trying to voice my amp for the low mid growl... I am onto something I think. This is a demo clip for Eminence btw.

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/media/soundclips/tonespotterFusionLerner.MP3

Thanks for listening Jason! I am looking forward ot hearing more of your stuff. Any plans to do a feature on the Two Rock?

Scott