first dirt pedal (double)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iowa, Apr 17, 2008.

1. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

I am looking to buy my first dirt pedal(s). I play blues, classic rock and dabble a little in country. I have a single channel fairly clean amp (Zinky Velveteen) and hopefully soon a late 50's Magnatone 260. I currently play an Aerodyne Tele and a Xaviere LP copy w/ hot hb's.

My current pedals are a Korg DT-10 tuner and a Boss RV-3. I would like to get the classic clean/crunch/distorto-fuzz tones. Having both the OD and distortion/fuzz in one box would be a plus and I need to keep it under $200.

I have thought about the ProCo Deucetone Rat and the Monsterpiece 2 headed monster. Any other suggestions?

2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Used Barber Tone Pump EQ or Burn Unit EQ

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

You might want to check out the Throbak Overdrive Boost (read the user reviews for it on Harmony Central). It does great-sounding, very usable fuzz tones. Plus it has a pre-gain switch that changes the bass response from a fuzz sound to an overdrive sound. Also, I think it's maybe the best clean/dirty boost pedal (even gets great treble booster sounds) out there. You can even use it as an attenuator. It has a killer EQ, a master volume, and a switchable germanium transistor/diode pair that gives you hybrid overdrive/fuzz tones. An awesome pedal. It's $220, but totally worth it and more.
    http://www.gundrymedia.typepad.com/

4. KCWM

KCWM Member

A keeley TS9 is a classic pedal with some excellent upgrades. It will cover a lot of low-medium gain ground. Some people do not like them, but I just picked one up and I really like it. The guy that came and bought an amp from me yesterday complimented the pedal as well and played it over the Box of Rock I have for about 30 minutes.

5. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

Thanks for the ideas, all. I guess I should clarify that I would like to "set it and forget it". I mean 2 switches so i can go to all 3 settings with a foot tap. Also, I play at fairly low volume (home or small jam) so the pedal will need to work well with an amp that isn't cranked.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Wow, I think that's gonna be a tough one, at least for something of decent quality. There's the Analog Man King Of Tone, but it's way out mof your price range (there's a big wait list) and it really isn't a fuzz pedal; more of an overdrive and boost. Don't ge me wrong; it's an awesome pedal. It's just not for fuzz. I'm not sure of any other boost/overdrive/fuzz pedals (boutique) that have two switches. Maybe the A.M. Sunlion (it's a Sunface and Beano Boost in one box), but that's still way over your price range. Maybe the Zvex stuff. You would be best off buying something used.

7. KCWM

KCWM Member

I missed that detail. My apologies.

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

uh... used huckleberry for fuzz and something from barber for overdrive.

really though, under 200 bucks for that many tones is hard. in fact, any fuzz under 200 bucks is hard to get quality lately.

can't think of any fuzz that also has an OD at all.

9. 4styx

4styx Member

Sounds to me like you're describing a Paul Cochrane TIM pedal or maybe a Texas Twostep or NotsoOl'Yellar.

10. funkycam

funkycam Member

Get an OCD (used $130)& a bad monkey ($50).
    OCD is GREAT with a clean amp, can do very light gain to pretty thick rocking sustain. goose it with the bad monkey to get tons of distortion, which will be pretty fuzzed out sounding.
    depending on how you set the monkey you will be able to get 4 tones (clean, ocd only, monkey only, ocd+bad monkey)

11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Not a bad idea at all.

12. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

Just an update. I ended up buying an Electronix lessDRIVE that I run into a Bad Monkey. It's giving me come great tones from light crunch to violin like sustainy smooth fuzz.

I am on the list for a Tim and we'll see how that fits with them.