First experience w/clear, flat response speaker versus Celestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 57gold, Aug 22, 2008.

1. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Have cabs w/vintage Blues, Golds, 16 yr old V30s, Scumbacks, Red Fangs...and versus new EV 12L in ported 1X12 cab, pictured in link below on Carol-Ann wood (amp and cab by master Larry Mann).

EV lets amp's voice speak clearly versus what seems to be extreme coloration when using Celestion/C style speakers. Never ABed this before but it's pretty dramatic.

2. chaz

chaz Member

:agree Been through dozens and dozens of speakers over the years, all very nice in their own way, but recently have settled on a EV12L in one particular amp. It just does everything I want it to. They sure is heavy tho!

3. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I had the same experience with a Rivera that I bought that came with a JBL. I had always used Celestions or Eminence speakers prior to that.

4. 57gold

Alessandro B n T through EV cab sounds good, but much better through Golds or Blues...a whole bunch of complexity (coloration) is added to tone.

Carol-Ann cleans open up w/EV and articulation, note to note seperation, and impact of lead voice enhanced...sounded kinda snotty w/Celestions and relatives.

5. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Erm, sorry 57,
    But where's the link? I'd like to take a peek at that. I also have an old (early 80's) mesa thiele with an EV. I use it with an Alessandro Bloodhound. The amp really sounds its best with a 4X12, but it's also very good with the EV. I usually think of a sprinkler (4X12) versus a hose (EV) when comparing the two configurations.

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

The EV12L Chaz just sold me is going in a Bob Burt ported 1x12 to be used with my own Carol-Ann.

Larry M is building me a cabinet as well, but that one is for a pair of Classic Lead 80s.

Why have just one when you can have both?!? :drink

7. 57gold