First Experience with Lord Valve

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
I have had exactly one interaction with Lord Valve. I was on tour in 2010 and needed to track down some EL-34's for my Matchless Clubman. I happened to be in Denver, so I hit up a few people about where to pick some up. Someone pointed me to NBS Electronics, Mr. Lord Valve himself. I was given firm instructions, "Do not ever, ever, ever, bring up politics to Lord Valve." I said ok, and made my way over to NBS. I can only describe that place as a mad scientist's lair. Seriously, it was something straight out of a movie. Those that have been there understand exactly why I say that.

He gave me great advice on tubes for that amp. Aside from NOS, he felt like I only had two options. Either Winged C (still available at that time) or JJ. He said that the Winged C's in that amp sounded marginally better than the JJ's, but the Winged C's would burn up faster under the high plate voltages. He recommended the JJ's, since I was touring pretty heavily at that time. He said they'd hold up much longer. He was right, the JJ's sounded killer and they held up great in that amp. I still always wanted to try some Winged C's just to hear the difference, but it never happened.

Papanate

I used to follow Lord Valve's posts on some ancient board in the past

He was quite a presence on the USENET boards - I remember him getting kicked off
alt.guitar and alt.guitar.amps more than a few times. He also wasn't welcome at
Rec.Alt.Pro. Back then people like Fletcher (from Mercenary) Scott Dorsey, Mike Rivers
Ty Ford and a few others used to reign supreme.

I went and checked them out - I couldn't believe it - all those usenet groups are still
online - generally under google groups - but still active. It was like I time traveled -
there Rivers was discussing the Adcom Amps still. LOL!

Last edited:

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
I think this is the most recent thread for Lord Valve - Fat Willie - NBS Electronics.

With that said, anyone know how to reach him still?

OMG

As most know, Willie passed away sometime after an “apology” FB post in 2019. Sad to see him gone. https://m.facebook.com/Nbs-Electronics-119940361398070/

90 minutes of youtube interviews from his old Broadway shop are interesting.

Knowing him slightly, buying many speakers, tubes, power amps, drivers, horns, cabs, and scratch crossovers from Willie, he specialized in tubes and guitar amps, but gospel truth and anger were elusive and interchangeable.

89Custom

Just looked at the crap that "Lord Valve' continues to spew, even after all these years.

Anyone that patronizes him is just contributing to a general lack of polite and reasoned discourse.
You must now sleep easy, Jacobite!
As most know, Willie passed away sometime after an “apology” FB post in 2019. Sad to see him gone. https://m.facebook.com/Nbs-Electronics-119940361398070/

90 minutes of youtube interviews from his old Broadway shop are interesting.

Knowing him slightly, buying many speakers, tubes, power amps, drivers, horns, cabs, and scratch crossovers from Willie, he specialized in tubes and guitar amps, but gospel truth and anger were elusive and interchangeable.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Umm, I can't find a record of his death. And the NBS website still indicates shop hours. Are you sure about this?

MrTAteMyBalls

I didn't know he had passed. I went to his shop a few times even though he called me an idiot and royally pissed me off about an amp repair on Facebook.

He had aspbergers, BTW. so I always cut him a little slack in interpersonal communications. When I came to his shop for tubes he always gave good advice and seemed very intense but super knowledgeable.

RIP!!!

There are other good repair guys in Denver if you need someone locally.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Alt.guitar.amps
Just checked it out and yes he’s still there!
The rest of us left in the late 90’s as it was starting to spiral then.
Now it has hardly any guitar amp/ music related posts at all.
Just politcal name calling by a bunch of children...

Lloyd
Wow, I can't believe that still exists. Back in the '90's it was 9 parts political ranting to 1 part amp info. Willie (LV) knew his stuff, but he was also the ringleader of this clique of folks who spent their days posting on aga. And if someone disagreed with LV, his minions would immediately launch into what we now call "doxxing" the guy.

It was really cultish & conspiracy-theorish, and way, way over the line. My "I'm out" moment was when the clique asked a newbie who he'd voted for. When he gave the "wrong" answer, they gave him advice that would have had him using a pair of conductive wrenches to drop B+ voltage across his heart. In other words, attempted murder as a "joke".

The now-deceased owner of an amp repair shop in Union, NJ had built up a great rep as an amp guy but blew it when he joined the clique and spent most of his days arguing online while work piled up in the shop. He mixed up orders (once gutting and "Marshallizing" a steel player's vintage Twin that was there for new tubes and biasing) and kept stuff for months that he'd promised in a week. It was crazy and disturbing and I can't imagine it today.

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
Willie did pass.
Quite a character. Visited him a few times.
Always grumpy. Always intelligent.
He had my respect.
RIP

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
No shortage of folks who are on the border of reality in the MI world. Often folks who do great work and have deep knowledge but....

jazzkritter

Gold Supporting Member
Live and let live.
No One’s opinions can hurt you unless you let them.
B+ in the chest, that’ll hurt.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom