First forum post!! Amps question + vintage vs. new

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by codycarrig, Mar 17, 2015.

1. codycarrig

codycarrig Member

Hi guys and girls!

It's my first post here but I heard this site was helpful.

I'm looking into getting a two-three amp system. It's kind of based on Eric Johnson's rig idea, where I have a clean amp (mono or two heads in stereo) and a dirty amp. For the clean amp I was thinking either:

Vintage 60's twins converted into a head(s) either one moon or 2 stereo
    One to two new reissue twins, converted into heads with a stereo 4x12
    Port City Pearl 50 or 100 watt (not sure yet) head version

For the dirty head, I was thinking about a 67 plexi replica, which would either be a Germino Filmore or a Metropolous 10,000 series, I also looked at the PRS HXDA.

If anyone could suggest me what the wisest option would be, in your opinion? Is there much difference between the different plexi replicas? Am I going to run into issues with vintage gear? Thank you so much!

2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

For bedroom use (to impress the old lady) or for gigging?

3. stevel

stevel Member

Welcome.

You just opened a can of worms though! :)

This is TGP, so the answer is Vintage, unless it Boutique. Either way, it must be 2 to 3 times what it's actually worth for some reason or another (so you're already on the right track with your own suggestions - and you'll be right at home here ;-).

Seriously, the first question I'd ask (being an atypical TGP'r) is where are you gigging? Or is this a bedroom rig (believe me, people here get the most outrageous rigs to play nowhere really)?

Sorry, I'm a practical guy. Lugging all that around to gigs wouldn't cut it. I'd have to be making so much money that not only would it be worth it for me to lug it, but at that level we'd have a road crew that lugged it for me.

So for me, it's more important to build on a clean base (like, a single Twin) and get dirt from something much more compact, like pedals (offering a lot more variety as well).

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Steve

4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Welcome!

I would say any of your dirty amp options would be fantastic, especially the germino or metropolis. Although you could buy a real early 70s 4 hole marshall with the $ too. Which would go nicely with the vintage twins ?

5. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Welcome and Great First Post...Destined to be a "Classic" Thread. I like the Blackface cleans with a Marshall/Germino mix. Can't go wrong with either. Sounds like Good Times are ahead for you...

Cheers, TF...

6. dcbc

dcbc Member

I, too, would like to know what sort of venue will be the norm for this rig. But assuming you are playing out in a pretty sizable venue, what about a rack housing each of the preamp sections of the amps you mention with one power amp section. Might make it all easier to control by switching between the clean and dirty preamp sections. Run it all into a pair of 2x12 cabinets mounted vertically in stereo.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

Jeez, i coulnt imagine. We sometimes play gigs where we get 15 mins to set up and 10 to tear down. Thats a lot of stuff to be hauling around! That being said, ive got a buddy who has a freidman 100 watt head for dirty and a vintage super reverb for cleans, and his sound is awesome.

8. dcbc

dcbc Member

Now, having said that, my real advice, regardless of whether you play out, is to pick a vintage fender combo, be it Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Super Reverb, Pro Reverb, or Twin Reverb or head plus cab, be it Bassman, Bandmaster, or whatever for cleans with whichever type of cabinet suits your ears and space needs and put gain in front of it for the dirty.

Of course, if you are at the level where you have people moving things for you, that's another story. Otherwise, dirt into a vintage Fender amp sounds great in all sorts of ways depending on which amp you use.

/I'll confess to being picky about how fuzz sounds, and preferring it through a 2x12 or larger. But other than that, pick your poison, but keep it small (it's easier to ship the smaller stuff when you sell it).
    //the last two people I saw standing in front of me in a large club setting with heavy iron who really needed it were Link Wray and Dick Dale.

9. codycarrig

codycarrig Member

The venues I play are pretty decently sized; big enough for a stereo 4x12 with two heads or a 2x12 head and cab + combo mix. So are we set on the vintage fender over the Pearl?

10. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

A vintage Plexi and a Twin.

11. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Dream weaver. Check it!