First Gig Impressions With Lone Star Special

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jjboogie, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Well I had a show last night in my hometown....It was a medium sized club. There were about 500 people there....Anyways at sound check everything was fine as far as tone and volume and feel......But when it came time to do the show it was a different story! Amp was on the floor because that is the way I like it however I could have really used an amp stand......Once the club filled up and all those folks absorbed the sound I had to turn my amp way up to feel it! Which changed my tone....It still sounded good but I ended up doing a lot of tweaking during the show to compensate for a lack of power........

The front of house guy and the monitor guy both made comments on how the tone got a bit thin and high end but they adjusted their eq to compensate.....My band has a lot of dynamics very high volume to very low volume...Sometimes we play with tracks and sometimes we don't all during an hour and a half show.....

When we are at a loud part I felt drowned out, when we were at a softer part it was perfect.....

I have often heard people say they don't like humbuckers with the LSS but they sound better with the LSC......

Anyways I am very seriously considering taking the Amp back to GC and returning it for a Lone Star Classic to have that extra power for situations like mine......

What do you say? Any input would be greatly appreciated....

peace
    jjboogie

2. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

Class A is known for it's lack of BASS.

3. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I am learning that now that I have been doing more research........I am going to try out a Lone Star Classic tomorrow...I may end up exchanging my LSS for it......We'll see....

4. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I had one for awhile and never could get a good overdriven tone out of it. Not my cup of tea.

5. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I couldn't do the LSS. LSC's overdrive on the 1x12 sucks, self-admitted by Mesa as muddy. Get the 2x12 LSC if you're going to get it, I think you'll like it.

6. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I have both Lonestars

The LSC is indeed louder, bigger, bassier, thicker, richer. 100 watts of 4 6L6 whupping. That's probably going to be the case whwn you compare any El-84 powered amp with a 6L6 powered amp.

The LSS is whispier and I, like many, am not a big fan of it with humbuckers, especially as you try to dial in dirt.

It s a great idea to try the LSC and if you can A/B them, I think you'll find out pretty quickly that the amps are very different and I hpe you'll find out which one is for you.

7. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Are you not running your guitar through the monitor?

If your like me I like the monitor for vox only -or as little of everything else as possible.

So to that end I put my cab on a tiltback stand in front of me beside the monitor and mic it like normal. Plus my band is quite loud -we have a sheild around the drummer.

I sat in for a friend of mine at a local club (around 500 cap) a few weeks ago. He plays a regular lonestar combo with an extension cab sitting on the side of the stage pointed across like a side wash. His drummer and bassplayer comented how much quieter I was on stage than he usually is.
    Having my amp in front I've never felt like I was underpowered. Of course YMMV.

My amp's are either a gainstar30 class A or the Alessandro in my sig.

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I went down the same road with the LSS 1x12. It couldn't cut it in a crowded setting, but I loved it around the house and studio. I took it back to GC for a LSC 2x12 and was a happier camper. The LSC is a do-it-all amp to me.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You guys just saved me $1600.:dude

10. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

Wow, you guys really have me concerned. I've had the Special since it came out. It was always for home use, and it sounded great. Once I joined a band, I had to keep playing with the tonal adjustments to get a nice, punchy tone. I always thought it would be my "go to: amp, as I do have a few others: AC30, Victoria Bandmaster, Victoria Regal II, Pierson Champ, Fargen Blackbird and a Carr Mercury.

I have been thinking of selling the LSS and going with the new 10-5-100 LSS. Would it be overkill for a typical bar setting? From aprevious reply, are you saying that the 1x12 is not up to par. Thoughts?

Dan

11. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Not in my Andrews A-22 1x12 combo. I get just about as much bottom out of that amp as I do my Club 40 w/2x12.
    Big bottom, big tone. Check 'em out.

12. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Actually this particular show I was not running through the monitors....They only had side fills at this place....Ninety nine percent of the time I have a monitor but even then I usually don't like gtr in the monitors that much....I like only having vocals and a little bass depending on the venue.....I will put gtr in if it is an absolute must and I know it won't drown out the lead vox......

From descriptions of tonal qualities and its power it sounds like the LSC might be a better choice......

I also hear a lot of people say that humbuckers don't work well with the LSS but I am not sure I agree with that.....

I am going to compare the 2X12 LSC tomorrow with my 1X12 LSS.....if I like it better then I will take the LSS back to GC and have them order a LSC......Then I head to Australia for 20 days for a tour....Yippee!

13. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Just curious. If you have a Carr
    Mercury a Vicky Bandmaster and Regal ll why did you buy the Lss?

14. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

I've done fine with my LSS 1x12 combo, and find that it sounds especially good when really pushed.

Then again, I don't hesitate to tell the sound guy to put a mic in front of it, and usually just tell them that I consider it a monitor and I never try to dial in enough volume to fill the house unless the place is especially small. I never have it on the floor, though - it's either on a stand or sitting on a 1x12 cabinet.

I think it was designed to go start overdriving pretty early, so it won't have nearly the volume of an AC30 or something, even if their wattages are about the same. I'd dare say my old AC15 was nearly as loud as my LSS.

The overdrive channel is all but useless for me, though. I'm not sure what Randall Smith had in mind with that.

15. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

It depends on the situation as far as stage volume is concerned......We as a whole generally like the feel the music! Therefore we have it fairly loud.....Everyonce in a while the monitor guys blow us away with ridiculous volume and we have to get assertive but in general our show is like a celebration and party! So bumping the music is essential....

The LSS does not seem after my experience with one show versatile enough to handle the extreme dynamics of what we do......Of course things take time with amps when working out the kinks....I am aware of that.....

I talked with a sales rep from Mesa and believes the LSC might be better suited for my band especially since he is familiar with our music and the type of venues we play.....

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

You are right about getting the amp up off the floor.
    I've got a LSC head and matching LS 2x12 cab, which
    I set on top of two black milk crates.
    That does the trick. Plenty of punch with the LSC.

17. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I had an LSC 2X12, and believe it or not prefer the 1X12 i have now. It's more expressive to me, and sounds fuller believe it or not. I've also swithched out the tubes to JJ EL34's, and a complete JJ pre-amp package. With the Mesa tubes, I would occassionally get some low end "farting" out. Also with the EL34's I believe the Ch 2 OD's sound a lot better, with more mid-range punch and a creamier top end. Even with single coils I get some very nice sustain and crunch. With my P90's or HB's you have all the sustain you could possibly need in your musical situation. Also I really like the clean channel with the 34's, more defenition of notes and still plenty of headroom and bottom end.

18. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have the LSS 1x12, and it is a sweet amp with great sound. I play using both single-coils and humbuckers, and have no complaints so far. It takes pedals really well too. I don't gig much, but when I jam I haven't yet had volume problems. However, if I want to compete with the drummer I pull out the Budda Superdrive II 30w 2x12 which is insanely loud for a 30w. If I were going down the Mesa route for another amp, I would probably go for the Stiletto Ace Combo. Great amp!!!

19. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Sounds like the OP needs more power!

Have fun with the LSC on your aussie tour!

Be sure to write a follow up to this thread, let us know how the LSC works out for ya :AOK

20. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Yes indeedy. :confused: