• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

First gig with a tube amp in years

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using all digital gear for a long long time now and haven't played through a tube amp since I can remember. After having problems with my laptop rig recently I did some serious thinking and went out and bought an AC15. Had my first gig with it yesterday and I have to say, it was a great experience. It had nothing to do with tone or feel, it was something else.

There's something very specific about the way Vox amps smell. I'd forgotten it, but as soon as I fired it up, it was there, and it brought back so many memories of gigs, jams, hours of rehearsal, good friends, good places... It brought this, intangible feeling of happiness along with it that made the whole experience so enjoyable. Not to mention the feeling of a connection with the instruments heritage; a connection with the past. Maybe that's illogical or impractical, but I felt like I played better last night, and I know I enjoyed it immensely.

I've done my share of ribbing tube amp guys in all these tubes vs. digital threads (and in person as well), but I have to say, after this reminder of what it's like playing through a tube amp, I get it. I totally get the appeal. There's something there that just makes the experience of playing through a tube amp enjoyable. It may be intangible and completely disconnected from the practical considerations such as tone, feel, and such, but it's there.

This is nothing against digital gear. I still love digital gear and will continue using it in applications where it is the best tool for the job. But I think I've re-found something that I'd forgotten about in this experience, and I'm sure I'll start using a tube amp more often.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
They are fun to fire up, aren't they?

I am actually waiting to hear more about the new line 6 helix as a digital solution, but have no plans to go tube-less.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
There's definitely something to be said for both approaches. I've decided to have both options available so I can pick what fits best for the gig.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Mojo.
As people gradually start to have good playing experiences while using digi gear (that really have nothing to do with the type of gear) perception may shift and at least some digi users will imbue that gear with mojo, too.
We shall see.

InkStained

Never got the whole digital vs. tube thing. I long ago embraced both, too. I also have Fenders and Gibsons living together under my roof. They get along just fine, because they know I like it that way.

It's a big universe. There's room for plenty o' tools.

Krausewitz

Mojo.
As people gradually start to have good playing experiences while using digi gear (that really have nothing to do with the type of gear) perception may shift and at least some digi users will imbue that gear with mojo, too.
We shall see.
I don't think it will happen. Aside from the fact that algorithms do not look, smell or feel like anything none of them, however good, will last 40-50 years. Playing an old amp (esp. one built before you were born) is a surreal and enormously enjoyable experience that has no real parallel in the digital world.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Playing an old amp (esp. one built before you were born) is a surreal and enormously enjoyable experience that has no real parallel in the digital world.
Thats definitely true. I think it's true for guitars also. I borrowed a '64 Jaguar a while back and it had that same thing going for it

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
There's something very specific about the way Vox amps smell.
Yeah, it's good to keep a fire extinguisher handy when you play through Vox amps.

I kid. I'm one of the bigger Vox fanbois around here. However, I would love to play one of the really old ones. My understanding is that the output transformer was potted in beeswax and the amp gave off a sweet smell when it got heated up.

And back to your original point, there really is something wonderful and tangible about tube amps that digital gear can never provide. I use both, but I prefer a powerful tube sound coming through a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. There's really nothing that compares.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I love the smell of cathodes in the evening.

Trending Topics