First Gig with Kemper....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by M@tt C, Apr 26, 2015.

1. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

And all I can say is wow.

Fantastic tones all night on stage, and comments that my guitar sounded great in the main mix.

This is honestly the best sounding, most flexible rig I've ever owned (after owing amps by Suhr, Budda, PWE, Marshall, THD, Dr. Z, and others), and I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do- I got the unit on Wednesday, set up some basic rigs and gigged with it on Saturday. It was really like having my pick of amps to play for each song, and it was SO inspiring to nail the tones I've been hearing for so long!

I have zero regrets about selling my boutique tube amp and pedals and going with the Kemper!

[​IMG]

2. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Exactly how I feel. Bogner Helios, Metro12000, Jubilee, Emplexador. Still have them all in my studio, but only gig the Kemper. I have had more people come up to me to compliment me on my tone and ask what I was playing through in the 5 months that I have had the kemper, then years of playing through my boutique amps. Its not because the amps didn't sound good. Its because of stage volume, mic'ing, etc all having an effect on what people hear out front. Soundmen also keep saying that the signal they are getting is "clean". I am assuming that mean less noise and less bleed from the other stuff on stage.

3. rsm

rsm Member

Cool!

Once digital modeling / profiling / whatever-you-want-to-call-it works for you, it's an awesome epiphany moment! IMO/IME.

Congrats... :aok

4. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

5. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Are you running the Kemper into the Peavy Power amp into the Bogner cabinet and not using cabinet IR's?

6. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

welcome to the club, happy for you that you had such a great experience... I feel the same way... wow is right

the beauty of having such a killer portable rig that sounds better than any of the boutique rigs I've owned is really unbelievable... I never would believe I'd be playing sans tubes

enjoy

7. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

The FOH send is the full rig with cab IR's.

The Peavey/ Bogner setup gets the monitor send with the IR's disabled just for my on stage monitoring. Even though Kemper recommends a neutral sounding power amp when going this route I gotta say it sounded friggin' glorious!

8. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

Very cool, I got my Kemper on a Tuesday and played a gig that Friday with it. Never looked back since and that was Feb 2012. Excellent piece of gear.

9. flipp jackson

flipp jackson Member

probably a dumb question but is it safe to put a monitor on top of a rack case? no risk of hurting anything? i know you can put the rack case on top of a cab and be fine

10. RockinRob

RockinRob Member

that's great Matt...I can totally see how playing gigs with the kemper would rock. But what about us retired guys playing in man-caves... You gonna reach for the kemper thru monitors or that Dr. Z?

11. FusionRock

FusionRock Member

Wow is correct. :dude

I've been using the Michael Britt profiles exclusively the past week and my tone is the best I've every had with the band. I still love my Mark V for a real stage, but in small quarters, the Kemper is it. However, I've never tried a real guitar cabinet and power amp. I might try that next.

12. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

Not to speak for Matt, but I have a room full of tube amps and 99% of the time I play through my Kemper at home. Here's an old small panoramic pic - I've changed a few amps out since then, but still have a decent collection. Thing I love about the Kemper is, I have all of my amps at my fingertips without having to mess with moving this half stack over here where I need it, or this pedalboard or this amp doesn't have an fx loop so I have to run a line out to a power amp and another amp, etc.

[​IMG]

13. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Hey, I remember this room! :D

14. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Congrats, M@tt C.

Enjoy.

15. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

16. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Congradulations Matt on your success with the Kemper! That's great to hear you had such a wonderful time.

17. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

18. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Awesome!!! I have been running the same way but using the ISP Stealth solid state power amp. I really think I m going to pull the trigger on a Fryette Power Station.

Beautiful rig man. Which profiles are you using?

19. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

+1000

M@tt C,
    I also would be very interested in what profiles you ended up using on your gig. Are they commercial profiles...or were you able to profile some of you killer amps, before you sold them?

JerEvil,
    The Fryette Power Station looks like an awesome piece of kit. Are you interested in it mainly for use with your tube amp(s), with the ability to use it's tube power section with your non-powered KPA, kind of as a bonus, additional feature/benefit. Or, is it vice versa?

Cheers,
    John

20. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Just the opposite. Main use would be the Kemper. I know many say "use solid stateĀ…" but I use so few profiles live that I really just want the best sound fro them and love using a traditional guitar cab. Honestly I bought the Kemper to take my Splawn Quick Rod tones with me for gigs where I have to run direct. All the corporate gigs I do require this. The Splawn Loop Master volume works great at getting good sounds at conversational level so attenuation is not an issue.

I love the size and features of the Power Station. Live I basically use 1 clean profile with a few effects in my IA spots of the Ground Control Pro. I have a Crunch, Mid Gain and Hi Gain profile - again with a few effects in the IA spots. I treat the Kemper just like my Quick Rod live. These are all "merged" profiles made from my amp and cab.

All the other profiles I have I use for recording.