First gig with Marshall 1974X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Strat58, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi well lastnight I just was laying around and I got a call from a friend of mine, hey Strat would you like to gig tonight ? well yeah sure I would :)
    Okay will pick you up round 9 its a small bar and its only the four of us, no problem great way to check out the Marshall 1974X I recently bought.
    So I pick up mine trusty pedal train loaded with almost only Lovepedals and we went. It was sure small its was a old trainway station and quite narrow so I had move around to get a little space for mine pedal board, but with the first notes I played I realized, I bought a great amp, volume was no problem funny enough I had plenty of headroom so I could play with mine volume knob, and man mine Fuzz (Dragon Fuzz) sounded like Hendrix, well maybe its due to the part I played Red House. I like it very much the band liked it even more, it sounded warm and clean and tasty you realy could here every note I play on the Gibson R9 with Seymour Duncan Antiq, pick ups. I think I am going to retire the Fender Deluxe Reverb because I like it so much.
    Pedaltrain with DragonFuzz-Eternity-Kalamazoo-Echo Baby-SCP-buffer-pitch Black-amp.
    Peace Strat58

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

THe 74X is the combo righty? What speaker are you running?

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

^1974x not 74x btw...

Another fan of that amp here:

Yeah, what an amp. I run a Cannabis Rex in mine and then have the stock G12M and a G12H in a 2X12 cab.

Also, you can set up the second channel for high gain with the right tubes and then use a switcher (like the Lehle 1@3) to toggle or join them.

Yes, the guitar's volume knob is happening with that amp and it's phenomenal with a Strat even running 9's.

4. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Very underrated amps. These Marshall 18 watters and a few choice pedals will cover alot of ground. Great, simple, grab-n-go IMO. Scumback in mine.

Congrats OP!

5. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi its the stock speaker and I like it :) yeah maybe tomorrow at rehearsel I am going to use a strat, that would be a treat and a threat for the R9 because if I like it even more :)
    Peace Strat58

6. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I've owned my 1974X since they first came out. I use the stock aged Greenback with mine.

I regularly gig this Marshall.................................. love tone I get for Classic Rock.

7. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Yeah these are great grab and go amps for gigs. Only once did I need more volume and it was at a larger place unmiked and the other guitarist insisted on using his fender twin. Great amp that's versatile if u use your guitars volume knob and they take pedals well also.

8. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Congrats on your 1974x. Its a great amp. I'm using a Celestion Gold in mine after having blown the stock greenback. Used a G12H and Scumback M75 for a while and they were good, but the gold is awesome. Love this amp with both Les Paul and a tele.