1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

First gig with Marshall 1974X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Strat58, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi well lastnight I just was laying around and I got a call from a friend of mine, hey Strat would you like to gig tonight ? well yeah sure I would :)
    Okay will pick you up round 9 its a small bar and its only the four of us, no problem great way to check out the Marshall 1974X I recently bought.
    So I pick up mine trusty pedal train loaded with almost only Lovepedals and we went. It was sure small its was a old trainway station and quite narrow so I had move around to get a little space for mine pedal board, but with the first notes I played I realized, I bought a great amp, volume was no problem funny enough I had plenty of headroom so I could play with mine volume knob, and man mine Fuzz (Dragon Fuzz) sounded like Hendrix, well maybe its due to the part I played Red House. I like it very much the band liked it even more, it sounded warm and clean and tasty you realy could here every note I play on the Gibson R9 with Seymour Duncan Antiq, pick ups. I think I am going to retire the Fender Deluxe Reverb because I like it so much.
    Pedaltrain with DragonFuzz-Eternity-Kalamazoo-Echo Baby-SCP-buffer-pitch Black-amp.
    Peace Strat58

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

THe 74X is the combo righty? What speaker are you running?

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

^1974x not 74x btw...

Another fan of that amp here:

Yeah, what an amp. I run a Cannabis Rex in mine and then have the stock G12M and a G12H in a 2X12 cab.

Also, you can set up the second channel for high gain with the right tubes and then use a switcher (like the Lehle 1@3) to toggle or join them.

Yes, the guitar's volume knob is happening with that amp and it's phenomenal with a Strat even running 9's.

4. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Very underrated amps. These Marshall 18 watters and a few choice pedals will cover alot of ground. Great, simple, grab-n-go IMO. Scumback in mine.

Congrats OP!

5. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi its the stock speaker and I like it :) yeah maybe tomorrow at rehearsel I am going to use a strat, that would be a treat and a threat for the R9 because if I like it even more :)
    Peace Strat58

6. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I've owned my 1974X since they first came out. I use the stock aged Greenback with mine.

I regularly gig this Marshall.................................. love tone I get for Classic Rock.

7. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Yeah these are great grab and go amps for gigs. Only once did I need more volume and it was at a larger place unmiked and the other guitarist insisted on using his fender twin. Great amp that's versatile if u use your guitars volume knob and they take pedals well also.

8. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Congrats on your 1974x. Its a great amp. I'm using a Celestion Gold in mine after having blown the stock greenback. Used a G12H and Scumback M75 for a while and they were good, but the gold is awesome. Love this amp with both Les Paul and a tele.