First gig with my Bogner Shiva 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DavidE, Jul 21, 2006.

1. DavidE

DavidE Member

I gigged with mine for the first time last night. The power level was low and the amp didn't sound all that good until the third set when the level was back up. It was so bad that my Line6 delay modeler wouldn't work for 2 sets!!!

Still, I think I concluded that the clean channel is too clean. I used a Timmy to grit it up. The lead channel was a bit gritty and not the smooth I was looking for. I used a PRS Custom 22 and a Hamer Monaco Elite with WCR pickups.

I had the amp on a stand and the big bass I heard with it on the floor at home really wasn't there.

I think I'm going to have to play around with it a bit more before gigging with it again. Any tips?

2. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Get a Furman AR1215 line conditioner so your voltage is constant.

Put the amp on the floor.

The clean channel is VERY clean so you have to get used to using a box for the slightly-broken-up sound.

My Shiva never sounded gritty at gig volumes but with the MV placed low it can be somewhat fuzzy/gritty. Maybe try a V1 change.

3. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have some tubes I can try in V1. I'd love to keep my amp on the floor, but it will be more difficult to hear. I sidewash now. I'll try some different stage positions.

I am surprised at how clean the clean is. Like my JSX. My Timmy worked well with it to add some gain.

4. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

The Furman PF PRO is a really good unit. It keeps the power constant and is built like a tank. Not a very sexy piece of gear but I think it a great investment!

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Try cranking the master up and use the gain as the volume.

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Just for clarity, the Furman AR series stuff will regulate your voltage and give you a much more predictable power level. The PF Pro will not. It conditions the power and protects, but it does not regulate your voltage. I use the PF Pro along with the AR15 Series II, and my amp's tone is very consistent.

7. dave s

dave s Member

Hi David:

When I gigged with a Shiva (up north from you in Akron/Canton area) I used a Fulldrive II for exactly what you're looking for.

If you're familiar with the Fulldrive, either the gain or the level knob (can't remember exactly which) could be pulled out for a 'compression-cut' control. Using the comp cut was the ticket for getting that clean channel to be not so 'in-your-face' clean. And because the clean channel has that somewhere between Twin Reverb and VOX AC30, it's also lightning fast to deliver which some folks could be taken aback by.

On the gain channel, I still used to the FDII to kick it from a grindy gain to Soldano smooth.

You might just need the right pedal(s) to really make your Shiva the amp you think it can be.

dave

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I think the placement of any openback combo is going to be WAY more important then any power conditioning, that is assuming the shiva is openback which I think it is not.
    How does it work in rehearsal?
    Some rooms just sound like **** and there is little you can do about it.
    What speaker is in the amp?

Put it on the floor and open it up a bit, or get a sealed 1X12 extension cab and add some big booty ka-chunka.
    Or get an openback extension cab and open up those cleans a bit.

9. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

i didn't like the clean channel til i dimed it and pushed it with a tonebone classic. running the clean channel on 10 helped alot!never had any complaints with the od channel though,sometimes a room will suck the life right out of your amp especially if you are not allowed to let your speakers move a little!

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Hi David,

I see you're from the same area as me. I usually play out with my Victoria Bassman, but the last time I gigged with my Shiva (at Thirsty Ear) the sound guy said it sounded "incredible" - he seemed to be genuinely knocked out by the sound. I have the Shiva 2x12 cab and I had it up on a crate, so I think some bass was getting transmitted to the floor. I also agree that the clean channel can sound a bit too clean. I prefer to run the MV at noon or louder (I like the gain channel better that way), so I need to run the preamp channels relatively low. (It's really hard to get as good an overdrive sound as the Shiva has with a pedal.) I'm thinking of using my Honey Bee to grit things up a bit. Or maybe go back to the Vicky....

PS - Just tried the Honey Bee for clean channel grit and it works PERFECTLY. (Just got a Klon, so I've been reworking my pedal and amp rigs over the last couple days.)

11. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Keep amp on floor and get some Weber Beamblockers...You can thank me now or later, I'm patient....or should be one. Jeff

12. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Shiva Clean channel vol. 8 o'clock,Shiva Master vol. 9-10 o'clock, Xotic BB Preamp vol. full on, BB gain 8 o'clock. Tone controls to taste. Kills on both clean and boost (gain) channels. You can thank me later....

13. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

The Shiva can be tempermental, which is why I got rid of mine. It does a great shimmering clean and over the top overdrive, it lacks in the places in between. You will probably want to have some kind of mild overdrive to get it to break up a little. I recommend a Klon, King of Tone or OCD. I went to a Tone King amp because I found the Bogner was processing my signal a little too much.

14. DavidE

DavidE Member

I've been using a Fulldrive since 1995 (I had one of the original silver box ones that I bought new from Mike 11 years ago). The last several years I've been using an orange FDII bass version. Love it. I tried the pedals on my board with the Shiva and was surprised that most sounded like they didn't have any overdrive with the Shiva. I remember this especially with the old RAT (works great with my Naylor) and I think the FDII was the same way.

Work and gigs are taking all my time right now, so I can't experiment. It might be a month before I can spend more time with the amp and pedals. For now, I'll gig my Naylor and work with the Shiva when I can.

15. DavidE

DavidE Member

Who do you play with? I play with Mother Trucker.

16. DavidE

DavidE Member

I actually have 2 beamblockers that I'm not using...

17. DavidE

DavidE Member

Can I use the RC Booster I have already?

18. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Yep, full volume on the RC, RC gain at 10-12 o'clock, tone to taste. The BB and RC work really well at giving you the extra kick in the pants with the Shiva. www.hellhoundslive.com

19. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

20. DavidE

DavidE Member

Nope. Actually, one of them needs to have the "cone" reglued.