First Gig !! with new band and !!!- just venting!!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by edwarddavis, Dec 13, 2009.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

OMFG did we suck . :barf:barf:barf:barf:barf:barf

I sucked , never ever played this bad out in my life . Not drunk, practiced . Just felt a dark cloud over this band . I know though why I sucked . They know we sucked and yes I know it was the first time out . But 35 years of playing out and not only did it suck, Its was just no fun. I like the people in the band , all are good players but I know the problem .

They are a bit anal and instead of getting the simple changes and stops and starts tight and solid they spent more time on the little things that nobody would notice . You have walk before you run.
    I told them be tight and solid and the rest will come .

Did not happen . Never had such a train wreck in my life .
    thanks for the vent an happy holidays !!!:band

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Just curious, what "little things"? Doing covers and getting the licks note for note? That sort of thing?

3. edwarddavis

they picked a lot of songs that are #1 80s one hit wonder songs that are not really guitar songs. So instead of getting a good type simple version they tried some how play it like the record /Cd .8 track what ever !!!. First of all in a band the Drums and bass have to be tight and they were ok, Nobody new what anbody else was playing or gonna play , people stepped on each other because of this , me included so it just was not good.

Little things , We are not a note for note cover band , thats what they said when I joined . But the spent slots of time instead of getting tight , Hey lets get that synth melody right or other BS nobody would notice . So they wasted time on stuff like that before learning the chords, changes , words to the freaking songs.
    So lets put this all out.

New Band
    Bad songs that are not really guitar songs , not really a big deal if done right.
    Good players but not great ,including me who just could not grab the KISS concept ,
    Nobody was listening was watching what other were doing .
    Oh , a singer that was there but on another planet who is some what insane

These guys , after I joined have not even played out in over 20 years!!!!!!!!!. I was into it already when I found out . Into it meaning they booked us so I said ok.

They talk like they have been playing all along , well it shows they have not .
    Anyways , I sucked , it sucked and i would give away all my crap right now. I know in the grand sceam of things it no big deal , just I am pissed because I play put for fun, I have had plenty of bad nights but we still had fun.

These guys are nice , but . what ever see what happens .

thanks sorry to bore you .

4. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I think we've all been there.....

Give yourself a break- even if you're an experienced player, it takes a while for a new band to gel. Mistakes (even simple ones) will happen until there's enough familiarity with the material and each other. Throw in the added pressure of playing in front of a crowd, and it can be a little rough the first time out.

Obviously, if you've been playing for 35 years you already know this, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else!

5. edwarddavis

LOl, Oh I know , I know how hard it is getting a bnad together and good people which these are . They need a plan which I kinda just stayed back since its not my band and did what they wanted but they really need a better plan, lol. Its pretty simple fix if they are willing to listen a bit . None of them have played out inso long and it shows . I have no other reason to play than have fun. These guys are in it for the same reason but need a little advice from somebody who knows what works and does not. Like I said I been playing like lots of you guys and gals and know what will wrk and what will not .
    I made my mistakes . So to end this , I will try and make it work one more time if not I probably will just be done . Theres a few positives with this band , mainly good people, decent players but they have to learn what we are capable of and what we are not capible of . Great players can have a horrible band and decent players can have a great band if the right material is picked and good versions of the songs played . Seems simple , as you know its not but we will see . thats it .
    Nothing more to say and thanks for the vent

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That says it all. You are going to have a learning curve. Give yourself a few gigs to work the bugs out and I'm sure things will go much better.

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

What is your rehearsal schedule like? I imagine you practiced a few complete sets before the gig right, or no?

8. edwarddavis

yep we practiced a few times . We have only been together a little over a month so it was a lot of songs for me and the other gitar player to learn.
    What really was the biggest issue and I could see this from the start was , three of them played in a band before , great . But like I mentioned 25 years ago !!!!!. They have not played since . Like I mentioned if I knew that I probably would never got involved . Its one thing to know the songs, another to play them in practice and another playing out .
    The other issue was they geraed the song around the singer . Well , the singer hardly came to practice so its made that few times we played harder . Then the issue of the singer has the attitude that she ( no femaie comments please ) is better than the rest of the band . Basically she has to go , for various reasons that I could rant for ever on .
    The other players need to take a bit of advice from me which I think they will. I just cant sit back and play in this kind of thing , its not fun.

Like I said , this is for fun, its a lot of work as you guys know. Realically I should just quit playing but for some sick reason lick a crac head I keep doing it. Just hoping to have fun and thats it. But I do not want to suck , obviously nobody does but band keep insisting on playing covers that are more work than they are worth playing out and cant get the concept to play a good version.

Unless your practicing a real lot , have the right intruments etc etc , you are not gonna sound or do the song just like the recording . Why cant people get it,

I am getting mental just typing this . So to spare you any more ,

I will tell them how I feel, make a few changes , nothing to big or thats it. It to much time, work and trouble for no money or very little to not enjoy doing it .

9. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Member

These comments remind me of so many Sunday mornings in the past -- with me on the rant -- debriefing a poor performance. My poor wife. I won't presume to know much about your situation, but you know if it's a project worth pursuing further. Even the drama can be therapeutic. It's hard to find a band worthy of our time these days. Might be worth riding the wave while there's a wave to ride.

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Sorry to hear. These things do happen. I think you should let your band mates know what you think (in a nice way) and suggest the way forward. Let me know if you guys will be playing in the Hartford area.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Well, the singer HAS to be at the rehearsals. Geez.

12. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Been there. It's part of the learning process, I guess... and well, some people are just anal. Not much you can do about it. I'd rather hear a band play a song tightly and skip all the fancy little stuff.

13. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

This part of your post makes no sense to me at all.......In my 25+ years of live experience, the simple changes, starts and stops are exactly the little things that people WOULD notice. Unless you're playing for a room full of guitar players, no one is going to notice (or care for that matter) if you didn't nail the solo just right. Being tight on how the song starts, changes/transitions, and most importantly, the ending absolutely have to be tight and polished. Anything else you have a little more flexibility and the audience is less forgiving with.

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

A little humiliation should be a good motivator. Hopefully the other band members feel the same as you do today. If they don't it's probably time to cut your losses.

15. Celticdave

Celticdave Seeker Gold Supporting Member

Let's start with a few of your comments here - first, you're in an 80s cover band that's doing "one hit wonders," the majority of which probably ARE dependent on getting that synth melody right and are most likely LESS dependent on the background guitar.

Second, you're acting as if the guitar is the primary instrument in this type of band. If you were doing 80s hair metal covers, I'd agree, but it sounds more like a band focused on pop songs.

As for not playing for 20 yrs, it appears to me that you didn't get to know them very well before committing to the project.

Practicing for only a month and then hitting a stage? I assume that you all have day jobs and get together maybe once a week or so?

What I'm getting from this post is that although you're calling out the singer (who may just as well be to blame), you're also putting yourself above the rest of the band. You keep saying they should listen to you - if you were talking to me the way you're posting on here, I'd probably ask you kindly to go home and come back when you've found some ground to put your feet on.

I'm 28, been playing nearly 20 yrs now, the majority of them with some sort of band and steady shows over the last 10 yrs, solo shows, band shows, sitting in, asked to perform on others' records (that were actually released, not cover bands), have been "signed" already twice, blah, blah, blah BUT I NEVER approach any other artists with the "I'm better than you bc I've done X things and you haven't." I always give at least some respect for anyone who's willing to put themselves out there. Hey, if they turn out to be dicks, then down the road they're sent. Its as easy as that.

And hey, if its not fun, then why stick with it? If you're so knowledgeable and know what it takes to put the right band together (and I'm not calling you out, I'm being serious here), then put together your OWN band. Start scouting the area, put the work into it, and find some players on your level that you CAN have fun with.

Yes, obviously I can't say for sure bc I don't know more about the situation but from what the OP is saying, she sounds a bit like a typical "I know I can sing" singer. When singers realize that there's more to the music than THEM, maybe there won't be so many crap whore bands out there taking our gigs.

mvd - you're spot on! Do you have any music out there to check out?

sundaypunch - again, spot on. Sounds to me like the OP could use a little himself.

There's a HUGE difference between being confident and being cocky. Its all in how you approach the situation. Maybe the other guys don't care? Maybe its just a fun thing for them to get away on the weekends and rehash the old days. There's nothing wrong with that at all. If you are wanting something on a different level, then its time to confront them and see if they're willing to step it up and if not, then move along.

I find it interesting that you keep saying that you sucked too...although you counteract those statements by playing it off like you have a lot of experience and are a good player bc of it. Did you "suck" bc you weren't tight with the band due to lack of practices/rehearsals, or did you did you're overall playing and tone "suck?"

It may seem like I'm calling you out and I assure you that's not my intentions. I just hear a similar story to yours quite a bit while out performing myself and never quite understand it. You can't turn an appleseed into an orchard without some sweat.

:band

16. edwarddavis

thanks guys , sorry for the vent , I am sure you have all been there or most of you .
    And last but not last thanks Jazzy Dave for you great insight of what a jerk I am .
    I thought only my wife knew.

17. Celticdave

Celticdave Seeker Gold Supporting Member

Never said you were a jerk man! Its just that sometimes we don't realize how our actions effect those around us. We tend to get tunnel vision as guitarists, you know?

I wasn't saying you are wrong, just asking questions to figure out the entire situation. I hope it all works out for you!

18. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

just venting!!!

well you Definitely came to the right place then...

19. Swain

Swain Member

Man, a good @$$ kicking will always make me think in a more focused manner! LOL

Sounds like you guys got one. So, maybe the others are still smarting, too. Maybe they'll be ready to discuss another way of working, at your next practice?
    In fact, I'd wait for them to bring it up. Let them open the door to that discussion, and then maybe they will be more receptive to listening.

"Good People" you called these bandmates. And players who like similar musics, have similar goals and talent levels, are hard to find. And then, you get along with them? EXCELLENT! You've already got the biggest hurdles jumped. Now, it comes down to working within your situation.
    I would consider these aspects, before you just dump it all and spend months just trying to get another situation going that may or may not fit all these requirements.

Sorry you had a bad time. But, it really sounds like you're in a pretty good position right now.

Good luck, and I hope you guys get it firing on all 8's soon.

20. edwarddavis

Dave , theres a lot of issues going on with this band I did not know about when I joined which is pretty common. No I am not a full time player . The bottom line is yes !!!, I played bad no excuses, . I certainly am not better than anybody , my point is since I have been playing out pretty steady all my life I thought maybe they could use a bit of advice to avoid band train wrecks in the future . I play with lots of people of all levels too and make the best of each situation by trying to play music that us all play good and have fun playing it. I am far from a great player and I try not to play songs I cant do well. Thats a little issue with a lot of people playing stuff they are not able to play .
    Hey at home play anything you want but when you have to play three sets you want to be good and have people have fun. Would I rather play original stuff , you bet , I do both in separate bands . as said many times on here , people see cover bands to have fun and hear songs they know . They dont really care about the difficulty of the songs you play so play . So if you cant practice alot play easy songs . Thats my opinion .
    It went bad just as much my fault as anybody . so now I want to make it work because they are good people . Trust me I take advice more than I give it , I try to just sit back and let things work out but sometimes you just have to step in a help if you dont see anything improve .