First Gig with New Bass Player........good and bad......

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 25, 2016.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

We had our first gig with our new bass player this past weekend and there was some good, and there was some bad. First off, we were supposed to start at 8:30 but "some guy" started badgering the band about "why aren't you playing? why didn't you start at 7:30" so our lead singer called me on my phone a couple of times (I was just at my car) and was pissy when I got to "the stage" (which was only an open space of concrete) at 8:26. Then the LS got pissy with the (new) bass player about something and they had words (they made up later). The LS made a remark "oh, we gonna start skipping songs already?" when the drummer wanted to skip a particular song and then skipped songs himself later on in the set.

I had to work that day and they didn't so when I got there everything was set up and we were set up WAY too far apart and the bass player couldn't hear me, and his rig, which is pretty massive, for some reason couldn't be heard out front. I ended up behind a pillar and didn't have a monitor, so I couldn't hear the vocals very well.

Some of the songs in the first set were loose, and I would have to say that, except for one, it was mostly the bass players fault, since the rest of us have been playing them for a while. We can rehearse them as a band, but he needs to work on them by himself, too. On a few songs he was actually searching for the key.....

Then we decided to play Purple Rain. With the help of TGP folks I had a good idea of the opening chords and so I started it off.....then the LS yelled for me to slow it down, which is, imo, wrong to do, and which pi$$ed me off, so I made a loud guitar noise and started it again, MUCH slower. The rest of it went okay and got good crowd response.....

We were all fine in the end, and it was good to play a gig, even though we weren't really ready, but our LS is definitely a diva prima donna and I just have to accept that and go along with it, or not......

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  2. astainback

astainback Member

Life is too short to allow yourself to be surrounded by a$$holes. I would look for a nicer singer.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You showed up at 8:26 for an 8:30 start?

EricPeterson, DV52, ripgtr and 12 others like this.
  4. burns

burns Member

Did you get paid? Then the gig was a success! :D

5. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Have you contacted the Daily Mail about this?

saltydogg, Trea, A-Bone and 1 other person like this.
  6. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Any pics or videos from the gig? You know, proof that it actually happened?

7. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

No offense, but this sounds like a bunch of amateurs who don't know how to play or act professionally.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Oh, no.....I got there between 7 and 7:30, got set up, did a sound check, and then got a beer and went to the car for a few minutes and then he called me......

Keef Wichards and CharlyG like this.
  9. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a lot of drama. You know, the kind that you don't really need at some point?!

James, A-Bone and buddaman71 like this.
  10. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Ug.. sounds like no fun

11. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

12. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Yeah, this is the visual that kept going through my mind as I read that:

13. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

He couldn't make it earlier as he was busy posting on TGP. :idea

markjsmith and FenderBigot like this.
  14. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

One day, this condition will be known as 2HBVicarious syndrome and no one will know why. Except for those of us here when it happened.

saltydogg, teefus, CharlyG and 6 others like this.
  15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Get rid of the LS... sounds like a major PITA. Cover bands should never be this much drama.

AND I will add this... ANY band member that yells during the start of song to change the tempo is not a pro IMHO. We have all started a song at the wrong tempo when it's your particular moment to begin when the drummer doesn't do a click in. REAL pros are able to jump in on their assigned parts. I just saw Pearl Jam two nights in a row and they play a few songs at different tempos, Ed never turned to Mike or Stone and told them to slow down, they all jumped in on beat. Just my 2 cents.

ZeyerGTR and CharlyG like this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I completely agree. You start the song at one tempo and you DON'T slow it down.....if it's to fast, it's just too fast and you fix it at rehearsal.

17. James_E

James_E Member

I agree singer should not have done that.. but you should not have made a "loud guitar noise" on stage live at a gig.

CharlyG likes this.
  18. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

Welcome to 2HBStrat Land, everyone! Feel free to check your coats, order a drink, and make yourselves comfortable. There's lots more where this came from.

19. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I would be throttling your neck if you showed up 4 MINUTES before start time. Doesn't matter if you were out sitting in your car with your gear already set up.

20. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Already been established that did not happen.

Well, none of it happened, but that part definitely did not.

MoPho, saltydogg, coreybox and 11 others like this.