First gig with the AX8

Bishop5150

Gold Supporting Member
I played my first gig in 25 years over the weekend without a 100 watt tube amplifier and it was awesome. I play in an Ozzy Osbourne tribute band called OZZ based out of Houston Texas. We had an out of town show in San Antonio, TX a new venue for us. We were opening for a local tribute band to prove ourselves for a future headlining spot. I've been an Axe-Fx user for about 2 years now but up to this point have never gigged with it. I guess I've been to scarred to take that leap to using it live. I also own the FX8. I recently got the AX8 and decided this was the time to take my next step in my Fractal journey. So in the last few weeks I got my Axe-fx XL patches/ blocks transferred over to the the AX8 and been using it at band practice running direct to our PA to get used to it. It was sounding great. For years now I've been using 5153 100 watt halfstack's on the blue channel boosted (standard 100 watts and Stealth model) so I'm using the 5153 blue with a BB Pre drive block on the Axe. So for the gig I ran direct mono to FOH and decided to bring a active XiTone wedge to have up front with me and my Matrix power amp and a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab to have behind me for that familiar amp feel on stage for my first time gigging it. I didn't need either. The sound man was great and had me pumped through my front monitor and it sounded amazing. The show was awesome and I dug my sound. It sounded just as good if not better than my tube amp rig. Next show is headlining the House of Blues Houston Saturday April 2nd. Our last 2 shows there I've run my 5153 half stacks in stereo. This time I will be using just my AX8 in stereo. I think my tube amp days are done. Here's some videos my wife shot with her phone from Saturdays show. Let me know what you guys think.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
That settles it... I need to get a fan for when I play live... I also need grow my hair longer to get in on some of that flowing locks action...

Oh, and nice playing and tones, btw! :D

X-Mann

A++++ Great playing, tone, sounds & V! \m/

Your clean tone was just great & your "Over the Mountain" tone & playing were just SPOT ON. I went to the Randy Rhodes tribute concert at NAMM this year too!

You sound as good if not better then anything that I've heard at that show!

Great story & thank you for adding such good/usable content to TGP!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - Please tell me that you played "No More Tears" & have a video or audio of it with the AX8? :)

mikah912

Wow, wow, WOW...y'all sound great. Sweet Fractal tone, and you're doing a lot of my Ozz favorites. The tone sounds a wee bit thicker, modern and chewy than the original recordings, but that's a great thing, actually!

Bishop5150

Gold Supporting Member
A++++ Great playing, tone, sounds & V! \m/

Your clean tone was just great & your "Over the Mountain" tone & playing were just SPOT ON. I went to the Randy Rhodes tribute concert at NAMM this year too!

You sound as good if not better then anything that I've heard at that show!

Great story & thank you for adding such good/usable content to TGP!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - Please tell me that you played "No More Tears" & have a video or audio of it with the AX8? :)
Thanks for the kind words man. I wish I had more video from the show. I brought my GoPro and had every intention of setting it up. But we were the openers for this show and the headlining band were so rude and absolute pricks. They ran their soundcheck way over their scheduled time which left us rushing to get ours in before we had to go on. We do No More Tears and will be doing it in 2 weeks when we headline at the House of Blues. We're shooting video of the show so I will post it.

X-Mann

Thanks for the kind words man. I wish I had more video from the show. I brought my GoPro and had every intention of setting it up. But we were the openers for this show and the headlining band were so rude and absolute pricks. They ran their soundcheck way over their scheduled time which left us rushing to get ours in before we had to go on. We do No More Tears and will be doing it in 2 weeks when we headline at the House of Blues. We're shooting video of the show so I will post it.
Was the headlining band a G&R tribute band, maybe it was part of their shtick? :rolleyes:

I know how to translate the audio quality of an iphone because I use them all the time. The audio I brought back of the AX8 at the Neil Zaza Akron Concert still blows me away......& now you've shared this great stuff. There's no doubt in my mind that your pro level playing isn't hurting things here at all.......but the Fractal AX8 is really producing some killer stuff these days.

If you can record the solo section of "No More Tears" in full Zack Wylde stance with the head bobbing hair throw back thing......um......You'll be my new hero Victim5150! :D

Good luck with all of this & your next show mate!

Peace! X

PS - I bet the sound in the room was like "punching a baby in the face" awesomely good too! :p

Bishop5150

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. Your opinions mean a lot to me. I was nervous all last week leading up to this show. I was excited too but definitely nervous. Had a wicked case of insomnia from it. But now that I got this first gig with it under my belt I'm all good. I think my tube amp days might be numbered. As for the tone, I wasn't going for anybody's tone in particular. Randy's, Jake's or Zakk's. I do try to nail the fx they use for certain stuff like the flanger on the Bark at the Moon solo for instance but overall I was going for my sound which is the 5153 blue channel boosted. It's just a good all around hard rock tone that works for this material I think. I'm glad ya'll enjoyed it. I'm having a freaking blast jammin with these guys and having even more fun now with the AX8. Thought you might want to see a pic of my pedalboard. I've actually got a black Mission expression pedal being shipped to me as I type this. The one in the pic I use on my G-System pedalboard so I used it for the show. The ability to show up to a gig with a few guitars and this pedalboard and do a show just blows me away. Amazing time to be a guitar player.View media item 22910

Last edited:

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i love it
the guitar tones are excellent
MOST importantly - you don't drown out the singer!
must be a pretty good soundman

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Always great to hear success stories like this! It is very encouraging for those of us that still aren't ready to move to this type of setup! Nicely done and congrats!

Bishop5150

Gold Supporting Member
Always great to hear success stories like this! It is very encouraging for those of us that still aren't ready to move to this type of setup! Nicely done and congrats!
The tones in the presets I'm using have no deep editing whatsoever. Everything was tweaked using just the basic tone knobs of the unit. Nothing fancy at all. The tone controls are basically set at exactly how I run my real 5153 which is everything pretty much at noon most of the time depending on the room. That says a lot about the AX8.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
An Ozzy Tribute is not the easiest thing on a guitarist... Randy/Jake/Zakk/Gus are not the easiest guitarists to mimic... (you are probably not doing any of the Gus G. stuff though. ;) )

Do you do "Miracle Man" real bitch of a solo there... "Bark at the Moon" always kicked my ass by the time it was over too. Good playing!

Trending Topics