First Guitar project,,finished

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ZoSo65, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ZoSo65

ZoSo65 Member

First off I'd like to say Hello to all. This is my first post here, someone had just told me about this site, looks really good, wish I had found out about it sooner :eek:

Anyhoo, about 2 or so months ago I decided to try my hand at building a guitar. And after many a late nights after work, here's the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone is wondering, here's the specs:

Body is walnut with an Avonite deck. String through(body) design.
    Neck is Hardrock Maple, Ebony fret board, 22 Jumbo frets(6100 wire) White pearloid dots. Graphtech nut.
    Body and neck are finished with 15 coats of Black and Clear stringed instrument laquer(except for the Avonite deck which is polished)
    Sperzel staggered locking tuners, with black pearloid tuner buttons.
    TonePros System II Locking TOM bridge.
    Bridge Pickup- EMG 89 with switchable single coil mode, controlled by push/pull volume pot.
    Neck Pickup- EMG 81
    EMG-SPC (Strat Presence Control) basically a small equalizer, controlled with lower knob on stacked pot(upper knob is tone).
    EMG-Pi2 (active phase reversal circuit), controlled by mini toggle switch.
    Ernie Ball Super Slinky RPS 9 strings.

The tone is unbelievable! I was kind of worried about it with the Avonite.

The engraved image on the neckplate is a little crooked, but I didn't make it, and for now I'll live with it.
    Not bad for a first guitar build, I'm very pleased with it so far :dude

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Not my personal cup of tea,but well done for a 1st effort-welcome to the TGP!

3. ZoSo65

ZoSo65 Member

Thanks, GuitarsFromMars :)

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Nice job, and WELCOME!!
    We need more of this.
    Stick around.:)

5. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Welcome to the Gear Page, Zoso65!
    And congrats on your first build!

By the way, what is Avonite? I've never heard of it.

6. ModmanQ6

ModmanQ6 Guest

Is that a kitchen countertop material for the deck? Very nice first attempt! How did you get the girl's picture on your neck plate?

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

That is awesome! How heavy? Did you do all the cutting and shaping yourself?

8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Very nicely done!!! you should be quite proud of that one.

Like R9 said....How heavy????

9. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Very cool man. Nice job.

And welcome.

10. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

hey! A guitar you can put a hot skillet on! ;) Very ambitious for a first project guitar. Looks cool. Welcome!:BEER

11. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

That's a very nice guitar!

Congratulations on your first project. It looks really sweet IMHO :)

12. ZoSo65

ZoSo65 Member

Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated.

Avonite is a non-porous homogenous blend of either acrylic or polyester resins and mineral fillers, in my case it's of the polyester blend, it's lighter then the acrylic blend and it polishes a lot better. And yes you'll see it mainly used for countertops, but I've seen it used for many other things.

Cost wise I'd have to say easily $600 if not more, that's for everything but the wood and Avonite. I did buy the neck too, but I had to remove the finish, I modified the shape of the headstock, replaced the nut with the Graphtech nut, and refinished the fretboard.
    I bought the neck mainly because of the cost of the tools to make one too, especially to make one neck.

Labor, I couldn't give an accurate time, but I would say atleast 40 hours. I made all the jigs used for routing the holes etc., including a couple trial and errors, there was some dremel work involved, I also had to do some testing of what glues would work to secure the Avonite to the walnut. I also ended up haveing to make up two wood blanks, I made the first one a little too thin. Oh yeah, yes I did all the shaping. Plus a lot of researching ;)

I'd have to guess at the weight because I haven't actually weighed it, probably around 7-8 lbs. It's heavier then a Strat but lighter then an LP, if that helps any. Soon as I can get an accurate weigh-in, I'll post it.

As far as the pic on the neckplate, it's photo-engraved using a "dot-matrix" type technology, I found it on ebay, I thought it would add a nice touch.

Hope I covered everything, if not let me know.