First guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jay Will, Jun 1, 2019.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Silver Supporting Member

Ibanez RX170 (emerald green)

I don’t have it anymore but it looked just like this one.

[​IMG]

If that’s not “real” enough, I had a purple Jackson DK2 that looked just like this one...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Member

[​IMG]
    ESP LTD F-50, nicknamed "The Crimson Idol" after the W.A.S.P. album.

3. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

In late ‘70, when I was 14, my older bro gave me a tobacco sunburst Harmony Meteor H76 (with Bigsby) - “if you learn to play it, you can keep it”. It was a US made guitar which carried a bit of prestige given the affordable junk that was about in Oz at the time.

I stumbled about with Jimmy Crack Corn and Campdown Ladies but it wasn’t coming together - I was too interested in hanging out, riding bikes etc.

Then, one day it vanished.

The day I turned 15, he gave me a (now) firetruck red Harmony Meteor H76. I knew it was the same guitar with a very nice paint job but I sensibly said nothing.

[​IMG]

Fortunately I was picking up riffs from the first two Sabbath records that I could initially figure out on one string and the rest is history or, as some might have uncharitably remarked, hysterical.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    wgs1230 likes this.
  4. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

It was a red SG copy. Around 1975. All I remember is the pickup selectors were sliding buttons. Amp was a little solid state piece of carp.

The funny part was when I bought a "real" guitar - Ovation Preacher (hey, it was the 70s), my dad said "you have to give the old one to a poor kid". I agreed, so we brought it to the church and asked the old priest if he would give it to a poor kid. He said "of course" and we left it with him. A few weeks later we went to a folk mass and there was my red SG - being played by that same priest. My dad walked up to him afterwards and said "I see you found a poor kid to give the guitar to". The priest turned redder than the sacramental wine and said "I really like this guitar". All good.

Regarding the Ovation - yeah, I know, but even back then I remember my guitar teacher telling me that Fenders stunk unless you got an old one and Gibsons were too expensive. So, there ya go. Next one was a Kramer with a real Floyd, made (er...assembled) in good ole NJ!!!

5. JDJ

JDJ Member

1962 Gibson SG Special for $300 in about 1988 or so. Beater special. Sold it in 1993 but just bought it back about six months ago!

[​IMG]

wgs1230, Bryan T and gkoelling like this.
  6. Winterwind

Winterwind Member

My first, which I still have and will never part with, was a Japanese made Sigma DR-7 acoustic my grandparents bought for me when I was a kid. She's 34 years old and despite the dings and scratches she still sounds and plays beautifully.

7. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

Gretsch 1963 single pickup Corvette:[​IMG]

8. American_Bears

American_Bears Member

I got a very cheap strat copy, bought new in London when I was 15 by my parents for I think GBP69, along with a Washburn practice amp. It was black, and looked better than it sounded. I could never get it to stay in tune, and the strings always felt stiff, with a sticky neck. But I got through my first year of playing guitar, learned barre chords, got into Hendrix, and got good enough grades for my dad to buy me a USA Telecaster when I was 16. That was such an upgrade; I'm glad I had to earn it, and didn't start with a quality guitar.

The original guitar is languishing in my parents' basement somewhere still. Unloved and virtually unplayable. I'm almost tempted to do a setup to see if there's anything worth preserving, or using it for a project.

9. sxcustom

sxcustom Member

Charvel Model 1 in black. Got stolen after a gig in college. Don't miss it.

10. EON371

EON371 Member

[​IMG]

Squier M80, exceptionally comfortable neck and only lacking in the pickup dept.

11. epauley

epauley Member

The first guitar was a Teisco. It played and sounded terrible but I felt lucky just to have a guitar.

monty likes this.
  12. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

First acoustic was some beat up Yamaha. First electric was a red Peavey.

13. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

Like many, started with a Squire Strat. It was fine. But then I got an Ibanez Talman with humbuckers and was hooked on 'bucks every after. Still have the Talman; still a nice guitar.

monty likes this.
  14. neil99

neil99 Silver Supporting Member

My first guitar was my dads acoustic, it was an Old Kraftsman, I beat the hell out of that thing, action was a mile high up the neck but played real nice up to the third fret! that and a beatles song book and dads 8 tracks were my lessons!

My first electric was a Magnum hardtail strat copy, man that was awesome! after a few years it turned into a beater and was eventually van halenized, took a router to the plywood body and nailed a humbucker into it with a lone volume pot epoxied into the body. Ive gotten better at mods since then,but hell it was the 80s!!! it sits in my bedroom closet.....

15. erikzen

erikzen Member

This is very similar to my story. What Kramer was it? My friend in high school had a Kramer DMZ 3000, with the aluminium neck. He bought for $350 but after about a year he wanted a Les Paul. I ended up buying the Kramer for $300 and he put that money towards the Les Paul. The Kramer was actually a pretty nice guitar. They go for $1000+ these days. Eventually I moved on to a Strat and the Kramer sat unused for many years and also lost touch with my friend. About 7 or 8 years ago I pulled it out again after it being dormant for at least 15 years. Set it up, put new strings on it and realized it was a much better guitar than I had originally remembered. I played it for a while but found it still really wasn't my style.

About the same time I also got back in touch with my friend, who I also hadn't seen in about 15 or 20 years. When I told him I still had the Kramer he was flabbergasted and couldn't believe I held onto it for all that time. I asked him if he would like to buy the Kramer back from me but he said he couldn't afford it. I said, sure you can. I'll sell it back to you for the same $300 you sold it to me for and you can pay me over time. I convinced him to take it and now he has his first guitar ever back in his stable. I'm sure I could have easily sold the guitar for $700+ but I would have felt guilty about making a profit after I told my friend I still had the guitar, and I also knew I wasn't going to play it so I was really happy to get the guitar back into his hands.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Moody Tuner and Jay Will like this.
  16. Drew66

Drew66 Member

My first real guitar was a Hondo copy of a Fender Lead 2

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Harmony strat copy from the Sears catalog. Red with a white guard. Also got a Gorilla combo.

18. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Kind of funny, my first electric was a Teisco/Kawai that looked just like this:

[​IMG]

While I don't consider it my first "real" guitar, they sure seem to be fetching a decent amount of coin these days, especially considering I got mine for free.

I consider my Kramer Focus 2000 to be my first "real" guitar.

19. cho

cho Member

1981 Washburn Falcon. I got it new when I was 13 years and it was my only guitar for the next 10 years. (My only amp during this time was a Sunn Beta Lead).

20. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

[​IMG]

not this exact one, well could be but not likely. It was around 1983 or 1984. I thought it was so cool back then :facepalm