First impressions of the Badger 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kborg, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

:banana

This one appears to be EXACTLY what I was looking for! My Number one go to amp of all time is my Komet 60 and a/b ing back and forth they seem to be cut from the same mold. Maybe a little more compression in the Badger but there is an amazing range of gain textures in the power scaling and gain controls. The extra horsepower in the komet adds some air to the overall sound and is bigger in more than just a volume sense but after about an hour going back and forth I have to so that this is quite the amp. It appears to have more than enough volume for any club. If you need louder you would definitely be mic'ing anyway.

I don't normally post this quickly and second impressions with me tend to be quite different but as of now, for the komet lovers who need LESS VOLUME you owe it to yourself to check one of these out.

My 2 cents worth?!?:band

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I agree- the amp has loads of harmonics/nice overtones, it's rocking but pretty smooth and yup the volume is perfect, unless you are playing death metal or something, I think the Badger will suit anyone's volume requirements (low volume included, since it's got the scaling).

Try it on 3 or 4 on the gain and everything else to taste (i run bass on 4, mids and treble on 6 or so) and add overdrives for dirt- so versatile! I gigged mine again on saturday and it sounded just stellar. Been enjoying using the nova system with it, what a cool little rig.

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've been going back and forth on mine (badger 30 combo). But the more I play it the more I realize it's a pretty special amp. The crunch tones are really warm but cutting . . .my LP sounds exactly like it's meant to. The loop is perfect.

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

What I like is that the Badger 30 sounds so big and thick through a small cabinet without blowing your ears out. Role back the guitar volume and the cleaner, brighter EL34 sound comes out.

5. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

Dam you Mikey !

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So Kborg is the Badger 30 still holding up to the mighty Komet?

7. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

This.

I'd really like to know as well. :)

8. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I have only had my Badger for a short time now, but I am very impressed with it. I love my JCM800 + Jubilee, but was looking for something with a simple layout, less power, and EL-34's. This amp fits perfectly. Also the addition of having the power scaling is just another benefit along with the loop.
    Great amps!
    [​IMG]

9. Killcrop

How does the Badger fit in with those Marshalls? Can you compare and contrast? Thanks!

Also can you set the Badger up so that there is no power scale being used? I can't tell by looking at the control layout how you would set that up? Thanks again!

10. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Turn the first two knobs up all the way.

11. fish01

fish01 Member

I would like to know this as well.

12. Senor Forum

Lets keep this bumped.

There are a lot of good questions in here.

:)

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Glad to here others are finding these special.....I had posted a thread recently asking if there were any others as happy with theirs! Your second opinion will probably be better than your first. The honeymoon period is over for me and I love it.......I will paste what I put in my thread:

I am past the honeymoon on this one and I gotta say this amp has impressed me. Ive been through my share of boutique amps (top of my list is divided by 13.......my favorite amps and I currently own a 10/20 thats going nowhere) but this suhr is a keeper. I had the 18 and as much as I loved its clean tone I just found it couldnt cut through in a band setting and the OD wasnt for me...but this suhr badger 30 is just a great amp! Its funny.....its not that it has the most sensitive tone stack, or that it has better OD than other amps Ive had or heard.....but its tone is just there and except for some slight tweeking for room your in or more or less mids for song you just set it to volume you need and how much sag you want from the main power tubes and how much gain you want and just go......and takes pedals as good as anything I have used. ....

Anyway, just havent seen enough positive threads on this amp head......its a great compact grab and go head that just plain rocks!!!

By the way for the person who asked if you can take the power scaling out, you can either use this amp with power scaling or take it out and use it as a master volume amp!! Amazing.

14. Killcrop

How do you use it as a master? If you peg the power and drive controls to cancel out the power scale then I just assumed that the Badger is now a non-master amp...i.e. The gain would be the volume.

15. Senor Forum

That's what I thought.

16. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Hows the low end? I heard it was tubby udner high gain...

17. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

From Suhr's website (I didn't include the paragraphs about the power scaling as a third mode):

"The Badger can operate in 3 distinct modes for a variety of musical situations. The first is the non-master-volume mode. When the Drive and Power knobs on the far left of the front panel are turned all the way up, they are out of the circuit. This means the Gain control on the far right becomes the volume control. The EQ section of Treble, Middle, and Bass act as normal.

This is the ultimate in simplicity like the great non-master vintage amps and ideal for playing in small clubs and venues where you can really get the power section involved in the tone you're getting. The second mode of the Badger kicks in once you bring the Drive control into the circuit. The Drive controls the amount of signal being sent into the power section, which in turn controls the volume level. The Gain knob now acts as a preamp gain control. This mode is the familiar "master volume" setting on virtually all modern guitar amps being produced out there today. The third mode engages the unique and extremely effective Power Scaling feature. In this mode, the Drive control becomes like a secondary gain control and the Power knob controls the overall volume."

18. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Actually, double check this......but I believe if you turn the power all the way up.....it is using all the voltage as a normal amp and you would then use the drive as your volume and gain as gain and it would work as a master volume amp.....when you turn down the power you then must use the drive within a number or two of the power as it is now power scaling and you can then adjust the power tube sag.....2 numbers above the power on the drive and you have power tube breakup, two numbers below and you have more of a tight master volume thing....

19. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

oops....sorry but the thread before mine was put just as I added the one above......

20. Senor Forum

Well since it's not a highgain amp, I wouldn't be surprised.

:messedup