First interface and guitar plugin

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kustombob, Jan 3, 2018.

1. kustombob

kustombob Member

I decided I want to record direct into my computer. I been using a Nikon 5300 and external mike and its okay but nothing like the clips I hear direct recorded. So I am not looking for the best just the basic to get me started. Sweetwaters has the WAVES GTR 3 PLUGIN AND Berringer UMC 404 HD interface all for less than a $100 . My computer is windows 8.1 R CORE tm-2 quad 9300 with 8gb. And ideas. I just to be able to post guitar clips that sound good. I did download reaper but have no way to get my guitar sound into the computer. Thanks for any input.

2. kustombob

kustombob Member

Well my Sweetwater rep called and said AUDIO BOX by pre sonus would be a great start. Anyone used it. Thanks

3. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I've got the original version of the IK iRig Pro, which I bought primarily for the bundled software package. I already had several other interfaces so I didn't think it would get much use, but it's excellent for playing through amp modelers. This is the new version:
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio/
    It comes with AmpliTube 4, T-RackS Deluxe, Mic Room and SampleTank 3 SE, as well as AmpliTube for iPad and iPhone. It's a nice software package for a $150 interface.

Hurricane likes this.
  4. Joeblues27

Joeblues27 Member

I use the presonus audiobox,works great!

5. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

I've actually had two of them over the years. They work great. Inexpensive and effective.

6. Mentat

Mentat Member

I am going to get this in the near future. Propellerhead Reason. It's a DAW but you can also just use it for plugins, vst.
    It is set up like rack mounted analog gear. And eventually I will use this with Presonus Studio One Pro (my main DAW). The two are compatible.

Worth looking into.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. kustombob

kustombob Member

8. lespauled

lespauled Member

Stay away from Presonus if you're using Windows. Their drivers are horrible. Get a Focusrite.

Hurricane likes this.
  9. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Focusrite here. Best interface I've used.

I suggest S-Gear for a plugin. It has a free demo. It might not be the sexiest plugin out there, but it sounds awesome and it is idiot-proof.

Hurricane likes this.
  10. jomama2

jomama2 Member

I have heard more than a few war stories about Focusrite issues too, at least with the 2i2 on down. I would opt for a low-end Behringer or Steinberg model (which come with DAW software you can try, as many interfaces do now). Mackie are also supposed to be very good. Really in this day and age you're not likely to notice much diff if any in quality and can't really get a "bad" one in terms of quality.

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:
    My Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 was a breeze on the install on my
    HP TouchSmart 610 64 bit Win 10 with 4 gigs of ram .

:dude No issues at all so far . I am amazed too because Windows
    systems from the past were nothing but hassles :nono:omg .

They are listed @ $249.00 everywhere . I got mine for $200.00
    last August by haggling with my sales rep . Great bundled
    software package to boot and IOS opperable too . And it can be
    used on an IOS system as an interface as well on IPhones & IPads :banana .

EZ :

HR

12. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

my experience with Presonus Firestudio Mobile and Win7 is the complete opposite. A specific expressCard chipset is required, so set up was not a breeze...but the drivers? absolutely awesome low latency. There is currently a PreSonus FSM on the recording emporium on TGP for $75US.
    I have seen plenty of frustrations with Focusrite interfaces as well.

I been using Reason since version 1. I haven’t been willing to upgrade from version 8 yet because VST is seriously teething. Since introducing VST, Reason performance has severely suffered...have a look at Reasontalk forum. You best have a very powerful computer and know how to tweak for audio if you want higher track counts and specific REs...and especially multiple VSTs. A vanilla MBP gonna deliver woes. Coming from Studio One to Reason 10 might be very painful for a while.

I am spec-ing a new computer mainly for running Reason and many VSTs and my budget is £3500!

Mentat likes this.