First NGD in a long while.. and some questions.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by j_m_s, Sep 7, 2008.

1. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

I acquired Sylvia in a trade a few days back.

She's a 1993 Korean Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus (15 years old! Its one month older than me, made in Oct 1993)

[​IMG]*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive had two other LPs previously and didnt like both, im gonna try accustom myself to this one.(been using strats all my life) So yeah, first off she needs a set up, I only know how to set up strats so i'll be bringing her to my preferred Tech.

Next, any suggestions on what to replace on her? The pots are slightly crackly and the jack needs replacement, so ill be replacing those i guess. Pickups, they're fine for now, but I dont like the neck pickup when used with my drive pedals, gets rather muddy.

Any suggestions for a nice pickup set? Something well matched so i dont get output difference when switchin' between the neck and bridge pickups.

I did abit of research on WCRs, they;re pricey but sound reaaallly good. Any comments on those? What others should i look out for?

Lastly, what should i look out for on these guitars? What usually needs to be switched out for higher quality parts? I dont mind spending a lil' bit of moolah on this babe, yup.

Hoping to get some helpful replies!

Thanks!

James

2. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

anyone?!?!?

bumperoo!

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I can't get over the fact that you're 15 and have all that gear!

I had one el-cheapo Yamaha acoustic when I was 15, and struggled to afford new strings!

There are a lot of posts here about upgrading LP's if you look around some

4. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Thanks for the reply! will run another search and read through those threads.

Well, it helps that i can get over the fact that i don't have the money to buy games or new shoes/clothes whatsoever. But my stinking bank account is ALWAYS empty.

I also buy most of my stuff used so I do save a lil' here and there. yeah. And I'm rather blessed to have supportive parents and an older brother who plays as well! (I WANT HIS PRS!)

I also run a mini business doing custom cables for local musicians and friends, so that reels in a decent bit for me to use and invest back into music.

5. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

anyone?

Pickup suggestions maybe?

I play almost anything except metal. Thus, i need a set that will do both high gain and low gain tones wonderfully.

Any suggestions? Id also play the guitar clean some times.

Some artists I play would be John Mayer(Id use my strat for JM stuff though), Paramore, Anberlin, Hillsong United, Planetshakers, P&W stuff, All Time Low, The Cab, The Academy Is..., Alter Bridge, Kutless, Deep Purple and those pop punk and rockish stuff.

6. jupzones

jupzones Member

seymour duncan jazz and jbs, i have a set in my epiphone. love em. bang for the buck.

maybe orange drop caps? other than that i really dont see the need to invest anymore in the guitar.

all these and a good setup maybe re-wire electronics and change the input jack to switchcraft and your set