first outing with the Yamaha i88x

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zenpicker, Dec 6, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Whew. What a joyride that was...but after many travails I managed to get the i88x to play nice and have posted the first fruits of the labor. Check out "Horizon Line" in the Listening Room at http://www.edwardhamlin.com. It also features a nice warm ADesigns MP2 preamp.

One caveat:

I still have a very noisy PC to contend with, and after a fair bit of noodling around on how to keep it out of mike range but still be able to reach the transport controls, I just left it there and went the noise reduction route. Adobe Audition's noise reduction algorithm is spectacular, but I do hear a little deadening of the guitar and some faint, extraterrestrial-sounding artifacts here and there. So the tune is not really a pure and fair test of either the preamp or the i88x (or the guitar...or me...). Bear that in mind if you would.

Would welcome comments, criticism, suggestions, opinions reasoned or otherwise. Enjoy,

Edward

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Nice track. Although just a bit bright for my taste, there's excellent depth. What mic did you use?

I hope this isn't salt in the wound after spending the money to upgrade but here's one piece of gear that might interest you.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TranzPort/

3. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Denyle - the mikes were very modest:

Behringer B1 LDC on left channel
    MXL 991 SDC on the right

Bargain-basement mikes. For some reason the 991, which is usually a pretty hot signal, came out murky and weak, so I did some EQ'ing that I feel was not entirely successful and seems to have thrown the stereo field out of kilter a bit. Not sure what happened with that mike, frankly. I need better mikes, though the B1 is serviceable. I do think it's part of what you heard as "brightness"--it is fairly bright indeed.

Funny you should mention the Tranzport - I bought one and just returned it after discovering to my chagrin that it doesn't work with Tracktion, the editor I am using for now until Audition finally comes out with ASIO support. Can't use Audition with my new Yamaha i88x b/c no ASIO, can't use Tranzport with Tracktion because no plug-in for it yet. Sheesh. In a perfect world I'd use the Tranzport with Audition (which it DOES support, ironically), the i88x, and Audition as the editor. But it will be awhile, apparently. Like every other Audition user I am praying for Adobe to announce a rev 2.0 just after the first of the year, but we are at their mercy.

I did mess around with one wireless idea - using a very quiet laptop I have as my remote controller via a wireless card to my noisy PC and some remote control software (UltraVNC). This setup worked admirably except that the wireless card sucks down just enough CPU intermittently to cause audio dropouts on the i88x. Sh*t. Thought I had the perfect solution. Next thing to try is connecting the remote laptop via a network cable through a router to the PC, which isn't as freeing but might avoid the odious dropouts. Running UltraVNC in low-bandwidth mode seemed to help too. If I can get that to work it's an even better solution than a stripped-down thing like the Tranzport in that it gives me a remote view of my full DAW.

So, fiendish experiments are underway, all eating up precious recording time. I begrudge every moment spent trying to get my toys to play nice with each other when I have so little time for my music.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Might want to give this one a try. It's free, supports asio & vst. It's UI is not very glamorous and there isn't a whole lot in the way of help files. Still, you should be able to figure out the basics.
    http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
    Too bad you sent the Tranzport back. I'd like to know if it works with this software.

5. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Well, I'm really OK with Tracktion for now except for the lack of Tranzport support, so unless Kristal has that I wouldn't see a reason to switch. I searched the Kristal forum and came up with nothing on Tranzport, then checked the Frontier Designs site and they don't mention it either, so my bet would be that there's no support as yet. I'll probably just poke along with Tracktion (which is actually growing on me) until Audition gets their ASIO act together. I definitely have my eye on the Tranzport when that happens, unless I can get my laptop deal working without a hitch. Jury's out on that one.

One thing I still haven't gotten an answer from anyone on is whether you could manually define MIDI program change commands to interface Tranzport with your DAW. I know diddly about MIDI, really, but it seems like this should be possible, and the Tranzport site alludes to it (http://frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort/Apps/More... toward the bottom). Just a question of how much time I want to burn doing some company's work for them, and they do claim that Mackie is working on an interface specifically for Tracktion, so that could save the day as well.

Sigh.

6. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

OK - new mix of Horizon Line just posted, incorporating some great suggestions made here (actually in the Soundclips forum next door). I improved the NR, removed the rubato section that bothered me and others, and tried to beef up and EQ the center channel.

Curious what you all think if you don't mind listening again....thanks in advance.

http://www.edwardhamlin.com/eh_music.html