first post, I need a delay/echo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dickHz, Dec 10, 2005.

1. dickHz

dickHz Member

hey all, first lemme say your pedal boards rock my world, I've never seen such good looking pedal, rare stuff and just plain GAS inducing stuff :eek:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a delay but I've got some specific rquirments

Controls

I need repeats, echo level, echo eq ( ability to get hi end roll of), feedback, fine tuning of delay times (not like the set selector on the DLS) long and short delay section (or ranges, like 0-50ms, 50-200ms etc.) tap tempo (external footswitch!) Hold feature (like the looping function of an echoplex, where you can take the write head off) and also one that I can modify the ptich of the loop by turning the delay time up or down

jacks

external footswitch jacks for tap and hold functions, an FX loop, stereo and mono outs

Specs

at least 2-3 seconds of delay and or hold time...16 bit 440khz sample rate. ALL analog controls (no multi delay line 6 stuff)

that should be about it. Money is no object

and yes, I do own a timmy

thanks!

2. dickHz

dickHz Member

oh, true bypass as well

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

If you just want slapback, check out an older Dodd FX 90. I was just blown away of how nice they sound, all analog, quiet and not alot of money. RoCkIn . Teleblaster

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm drawing a blank, I don't think there is such a unit. The boss digital stuff will do most of that but no loop, and I'm not sure if any of them have EQ on the delay. The Akai headrush will do most of it, but no loop. Nope, can't think of one... Maybe when Cornish starts building stuff again?

5. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

based on what you've spec'd. i think the most features you are going to be able to get in one package is the EH 16 Second Delay with the additional floor switch.

i'm not saying anything one way or another about the sound quality because i've not used on enough to comment, but with the exception of the tap tempo it will do most of what you want.

6. dickHz

dickHz Member

hmm, well I did my own searching about an I'm thinking about the boss DD-3 keeley mod

I'm really surprised no boutique people have tried to make an upperclass version of the DD-3/DD-5

I guess I could live without a loop if I had to

the point I'm making is I don't like boss :p

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

The Digitech DigiDelay meets most of your requirements, except

1) it doesn't have an EQ capability.

2) No FX loop

3) the ability to "modify the pitch" is (I think) limited to the "mod delay" setting, which does a chorusing effect on the delay. It definitely does some funky sounds while you tweak the controls in this mode.

Does have a looping feature (up to 4 seconds, I think), tap tempo, stereo/mono outputs, etc.

One thing to note--unless I've failed to figure something out, there's no way to get a 100% wet signal out of this--even when using both outputs, you get the dry signal in both.

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

dickhz,

Have you tried the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay? It sounds great, and has an external Tap Tempo jack that works very well.

9. iualum

iualum Member

So, you need a separate pedal to get tap tempo from the DD-20? Which pedal, please? Thanks.

10. jhc

jhc Senior Member

11. drolling

drolling Member

Dick, if you could design a pedal that met all of your criteria, I'd get on the waiting list to buy one.

I am on the list for an Echoczar, which is looking like the biggest developement in analog delay ever. In the meantime. I'm more than happy w/the above mentioned Diamond delay, but it's mono and only goes to 550ms.

At this point, AFAIK, you'd have to hook up several analog & digital pedals together to get the features you've outlined.

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Don't try a Fulltone TTE unless you want a lighter wallet....:D It doesn't do everything you want, but you may decide it does everything you need after you hear it.:AOK

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

Use the Boss FS-5U - they are around $25. Works perfectly with the DD-20. That way you don't have to hold down the pedal on the delay. You can tap your tempo anytime you want to.

14. dickHz

dickHz Member

actually, I'd rather it not be analog

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I was checking out my Headrush again, it has everything except the pitch changing when you change delay times (it just gets ugly) and it won't self oscillate. Otherwise, it covers everything and includes a 21 sec looper into the bargain. With the hi end rolloff, you can get some fairly convincing tape type slapback. One of those (less than $150) and a decent analog delay for the pitch changing thing and you'll have a killer board for not a lot of cash.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Alright, dude, you described the boss dd-20:

Does it all, including a tone knob for your eq-ing of just the delay

Has a jack for an external footswitch. I use a momentary type pedal I bought off this guy on ebay. Sells it for much cheaper than an fs-5u and is a small footprint! His name is phatgraphics4dm4
    I think you're describing the "warp" feature of the dd-20, which basically increases the feedback of your delay ad infinitum and the level of said delay as well.

I think you're describing the "twist" feature, which you can listen to right here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/151305/
    just scroll down a bit.

has all this except for the external footswitch jack for hold function. ability to set the input and output jacks for line or instrument (+4 or -10 dB) is possible with this pedal.

has 23 seconds of delay! a looping feature, analog and tape (1 or 2 head) simulators which sound great, modulated delay, smooth delay (which is like adding reverb to your delay), dual delay, panned, and some other things.

couldn't find the sampling rate, sorry. In short, many gearheads here own and love one! I even called up the dude from diamond, forget which one (not Mike, the founder), and he uses a dd-20 instead of his own designed memory lane! The memory lane has superior sound (being analog and all) but the dd-20 just has 8 billion features, all usable and great sounding! I love exclamation marks!

This is what you're looking for, get it

*edit* I shouldn't say he uses the dd-20 instead of the memory lane. He may use both, I don't remember him specifying. I called and we started shmoozing on our boards and he asked which delay I used and I said the dd-20 and he was like "me too!". so there ya go.