First Recorded Song - Laid back instrumental thing

Talus

As the topic suggests I'm very new to recording. Any advise with the mixing, or any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive the sloppiness of the leads at around 2:43 or so. I wasn't very happy with the tones I was getting so I've just left those solos rough until I can figure out how to get a better tone.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8601106

Last edited:

Marble

sounds pretty good overall man, good choice of backing elements and really cool sections. The tone at 2:34 sounds very nice, you might want to use that for all your lead sounds on the track. It might give it a unifying feeling.

It sounds like you're mostly running your guitar direct into some sort of processor and then into the recording medium? To give those guitar tracks some more "life" you might want to record an amp, to get some room sound and depth.

Also, the timing on a couple of sections seems a little off, like the quicker hand claps in the intro. The guitar and the high hats of the drums at the part around 1:19 seem to clash timing wise, maybe try the track without the slap-back delay there. I like that part a lot though, very cool stuff.

Also just a personal taste thing, the use of the delay throughout is fine IMO, but you might want to consider changing the decay setting a little bit so those trails fade off in a more "organic" matter rather than just repeat a couple times dryly.

Talus

Thanks for the comments.

The guitar tone has been a big point of frustration for me. Like you said it sounds very processed, and not at al organic. In reality though there's virtually no processing on it at all. I've mic'd a Dr Z. Maz 38 with a BB Preamp in front of it and some echo, and I haven't altered the tone in Cubase at all.

I'm trying to figure out why it's sounding so poor. Be it my playing, the way I've got it EQ'd or mic'd or what. I've tried both a Senheiser 421 and a Shure SM58 to no avail.

Another strange thing. Even with the gain on the BB completely maxed, on any kind of single note playing it still sounds far cleaner than it actually is.

sykofiddle

Have you tried moving the mic around a bit and noting if it changes the tone? Depends on the mic too. I'd try to see if you can find some sort of reliable relationship between the mic you use, where you place it, and what effect it has on the tone. I'm fairly new to this too and I've been amazed at what a difference it makes.

Trending Topics