First recording session

Dunnej

Hey guys,
Last year, I met this amazing acoustic guitar player/songwriter at the school I was at. He said he had a few songs that he had professionally recorded and wanted me to add guitar parts and my good buddy (really amazing keyboard player) to add keys. So this past summer, I had the chance to go into the keyboard players semi-pro home studio in New Orleans and add my humble contribution on guitar. Check it out, let me know what you think, pros/cons?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=806454

tmuka

That's a great sounding first recording session. To my ears the mix is a little busy. It has a good energy, but sometimes less is more when it comes to moving parts in the background, especially with vocals going on. The electric lead has nice tone. Nice groove, but be careful to keep the overdubbed tracks locked in. Anyway - great work, definitely something to be proud of, and i'm sure many more great recordings are in your future. Thanks for sharing!

funkycam

Your soloing sounds great to me. Fits the tune perfectly IMO.
Tone is sweet! I would maybe like to hear a little more cut in the top end of your tone, but that's just a minor mix thing.

Something bad is happening timing-wise between the acoustic & the drums tho.
I think it's the acoustic guy's timing.
As soon as the full band is in, the drums (esp hihat) & acoustic are fighting & later things get worse:
when he is by himself from 1:14.. try tapping along it's really shaky & he is way off under your solo.
1:26 & 2:33 obvious acoustic timing mistakes.

His part would be really pretty if the timing was right.

Just my 5c

Dunnej

Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah that was my beef as well..I never actually met the drummer, but if I ever do, I'm gonna harass him about this track. Apparently he and the acoustic guy met and exchanged the tune online. I think the drumming is too intense for this song, too much noise...

yZe

Great tune, great parts

I listened to it a few times

is that a tele ? - sounds a smidgeon rolled off too much

Love the solo

Yup, at the end either the band is gonna have to rock out, or the drummer needs to be reigned in

KCWM

I dig that solo, notes and tone.

I agree about the timing of the acoustic. This song reminds me of some of the stuff I used to play for the college group at the church I went to. not that there's an issue with that.

I agree with the drums at the end. The guy seems to be going to the straight cymbals, which gives the song a different feel than the rest of the instruments are giving. When he was playing the fast feel, it almost sounded mechanical...like a drum machine instead of a human being. But that's not your fault.

I really like what you did with the 2nd guitar. It's the subtly I wish I could write for my own music. It comes out more when I'm not writing for my own songs.

Good stuff. That solo in the middle was great.

Dunnej

Thanks a lot guys. My parts were done with my Nash '63 strat and a Chandler (newly refurbished by BK Butler) Tube Driver.

Trending Topics