First Recording the my new Tascam... feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by No Code 5, Feb 8, 2006.

1. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=336651

All, this is my first attempt at recording/mastering with my new Tascam DP-01FX. I did this all tonight on single takes... but I am happy with the results. Any feedback, comments/criticisms, compliments, thoughts, etc are appreciated.

Setup...

Tascam DP-01FX eight track digital recorder
    Presonus Tube preamp used on certain tracks as well

Track 1 - Martin D-18V internal ellipse system mic
    Track 2 - Martin D-18V room mic (SM-57 --> presonus)
    Recorded simultaneously
    Track 3 - Gibson J-200 room mic (SM-57 -->presonus)
    Track 4 - Lead vocal (Audix OM-2 -->presonus) with very light reverb from tascam
    Track 5 - backing vocal (Audix OM-2 --> presonus) recorded with me sitting about 5 feet away and heavy reverb
    Track 6 and 7 - Nord Electro 2 direct with heavy reverb - Hammond B3 setting with leslie sim and hammond chorus/vibrato engaged

All first takes and mixed down.

The song is the first song I ever learned on guitar, so it seemed appropriate that it be the first song I record.

Thanks

2. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Sounds good-in the mastering maybe add more compression to glue it all together...i'm no engineer.

Where is the mike placement for the acoustic?

nice tune & vibe too!

JF

3. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I really didn't mess with all the effects in the Tascam... just a bit of reverb. I will have to investigate more, thanks for the idea.

The mic for the acoustic was about 8"-10" away and probably 3" -5" up from the center on the acoustic.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it.

4. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

one thing alotta rec. engineers have done with me is to place the mic
    2-3 inches over the 12th fret-which gives a close sound-then for space reverb is used-of course over the soundhole gives more bass-depends whats needed in the track too-for your song-cuz theres no drums-a big sound is a
    good idea.

5. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

you know I think my estimate mayhave been off, probably more like 6" away... enough for my hand to fit through (that was my honest rationale for how far away to put the mic.)

I think I may have accidentally done that :)... I purposefully got the J-200 closer up and played hard to capture the bass. But probably just a lucky break for it to come off that way... That and the fact that the guitar sounds so big really helped.

I will play around more with mic placement and mic selection as I get more experience... like I said this was my first pass and I am definitely an amateur with this stuff. "Where's the 'any' key?" :D LOL

6. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

No Code 5

I checked this thread out cause I am planning to get one of those Tascam DP-01FX's as well, seems like it would be a good choice. But I have to tell you I really liked the song..Good Job !

Smoke'

7. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. If you have any specific questions on the Tascam let me know... I would be happy to give my experience (limited) or insight.

I am impressed with the quality of recording I was able to make, very user friendly and intuitive.