First rehearsal with my new setup - we'll see. Soundcraft Notepad-8fx

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by big jilm, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM.

1. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Hi everyone -

I can't turn anything up loud enough at home to tell how this will sound at gig volume, so I am taking it to practice with me where I can run it into my QSC K12 and turn it up a bit. Gibson J-29 with LR Baggs Element into the Fishman Aura 16, BBE compressor, Danelectro Fish 'N Chips EQ, Boss RC-1 looper, and the Soundcraft mixer.

At home at low volume, I'm not real happy with the Soundcraft. The reverb isn't terribly good from what I can tell so far. It feels a bit cheap - but the price is low, so that is to be expected. We will se how it sounds at gig volume, but if it's a no-go, it will go back to Sweetwater and I will shell out some more cash to move up to the Allen & Heath Zed i10fx.

I'll try it with the band, but the main focus will be when we are done with practice seeing how it sounds for solo acoustic and vocals.

Here's the rough setup. Nothing here is set in stone.

[​IMG]

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I’d be kicking the dials on that mixing board and ... Oopsie No Sound or oopsie I’m louder than sh#t.

big jilm likes this.
  3. big jilm

I may find that it will be that way for me also! I’m trying for ease of use and less equipment. We’ll see!

4. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

That’s pretty cool it fits on your pedal board. I’m curious on this as well on how it sounds..

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

i'm more curious as to why you went with a mixer to begin with. was it so you could have some control over your vocals?

6. big jilm

Yes - using the mixer to run both guitar and vocals to a QSC K12. I thought a small mixer that would fit on my pedalboard would be a cool way to cut down on weight for solo acoustic work.

Tried this setup today at gig levels, and got a decent sound for vocals, but I can’t stand the piezo in my guitar. Even adding some Aura from the pedal, the brittle piezo tone is there. I am going to have to go another route for my amplified guitar sound. K&K Western? Anthem or Lyric? Mic? I don’t know.

7. feet

feet Supporting Member

ha, i just assembled a new portable rig for guitars and vocals, and my main travel guitar has an element in it. this has all helped tremendously. though the m20 is a strange, middy little thing so it kinda plays into that. for my rosewood slope, i use a schertler magnetic with the little mic attached. its transcendent. the lyric is just trash. i just ordered a seymour duncan mag mic to replace the lyric and possibly the element, as well. we'll see.

here's my post that breaks it down way too far: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...g-roland-zoom-fishman-and-telefunken.1899829/

big jilm likes this.
  8. big jilm

Thanks for the info, feet - I enjoyed reading the thread you started. Some food for thought there.
    I laughed out loud when reading about the Telefunken: "..and it just looks cool, damn it. look at it. its awesome." Nice setup.
    I am researching now - people rave about the K&K Pure Mini... I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:24 AM
  9. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

I have a k &k in my Martin and it sounds very good. You will need a preamp for it with the right match of ohms. Did you like the soundcraft over all and just not like your guitar pickup.

10. big jilm

Messing with the rig today at low coffee shop levels at home, I find the Soundcraft isn't bad. I started singing through my AKG 214 condenser, and the vocals sound about a thousand times better than they did with my old yell-for-rock-voice SM58, which always sounds murky with my baritone voice. I switched to a J-45 Aura patch on my Fishman pedal, and it sounds a lot better with my J-29 than the previous patch did. I was using a Martin spruce/rosewood HD-28 patch that I felt sounded the most like my guitar, but it was so woofy through the mixer and speaker that it was an issue. I am still thinking that I will get on the change-my-pickup train (as futile as that may end up) pretty soon.

Overall, the mixer is pretty cool. I am still trying to get my head around how the reverb works, but I am dialing it in pretty nicely right now. I don't think I am in love with the reverb, but I no longer hate it at all. I am most concerned with the reverb for vocals. I love the size of it and that it fits on my Pedaltrain. The mic preamp seems decent, though I am no expert. I am liking how my vocals sound right now with my AKG through the Soundcraft into the QSC K12. Sure blows my old Fishman Loudbox Performer out of the water. I like the fact that it has a mid control, unlike the Allen & Heath Zed 6fx which is the other one I was considering. Plus, the Soundcraft is smaller and lighter (and likely more cheaply built). I am thinking I will keep the mixer as of now, but I am still messing with it. I can say that while I was playing and singing, I was inspired by the sound... I can tell that I was feeling it, because every time I really dig a tone I start playing some cover and end up morphing it into a songwriting session, so there's that.

11. feet

feet Supporting Member

it does, though! it is a transcendent piece of design and there is something really satisfying about that logo. i could and possibly should move it off the board and just plunk it on top of the amp but it keeps the pedal board from getting too big and it is just fun to look at.

i'm kinda reconsidering the zoom. its great. does everything you need and the sounds are pretty good. but with the roland, i don't really need it. i've got it dialed in well enough and the reverb on it is solid. i'll probably keep it, but i am wondering about it. i may save it to use with my carvin stagemate, then. but the fishman>telefunken>roland setup is just working. surprised by the sounds. maybe look into one- it could replace most of your board, if not all of it.

i had considered something more elaborate, like a mixer, and i may still if the vocals prove to be problematic, but so far, so good. i am now a little curious about a mic mechanic for that nebulous "tone" button, but we'll see. i may also go that route if the global reverb on the roland doesn't work- if i can't find a good balance for the vocals and guitar, i may use the zoom and mic mechanic to process them separately through a dry amp.

i like the k&k mini in my baritone just fine. but it is finicky about the impedance thing- i assume i'm ok because im fine with the sounds but i've never tried it with the k&k preamps that seem to be almost required. but i was afraid to go with it in my other guitars because i hear they feedback more, given their soundboard pickup nature. hence the mag mic- i could always dial out the mic in case of trouble and still have a livable sound.

was always afraid of the aura (and modelers in general), largely because my guitars are all kinda odd: rosewood 12 fret slope, tiny hog top, archtop, baritone, small 12, super ringy om... you just kinda have to hope one of the stupid settings sounds ok, because they sure don't match. its why i tried to go about it in an analog way, with an eq and better pickups. a huge struggle, to be sure, but i'm pleased with the results now that the end is in sight.

a mixer without mid control for vocals and acoustic is damn near worthless. i guess you could raise the highs and lows to "scoop" the mids, but that's a recipe for feedback. stick it out with this or go with something pedal based. love the fishman so far, but would have went with the tech 21 qstrip if i didn't need all the acoustic specific features. the empress eq is also pretty nice. but you need all the acoustic business too, so unless you want two separate chains going, lets hope that mixer works out for you.

12. big jilm

Yeah, man - that logo would have to stay on the board - especially if it does what you need.

I kinda hate the Aura thing, too - I feel like I'm cheating. I am using a J-45 image now, and my guitar doesn't sound like a J-45... the J-29 is a rosewood back and sides slope - the only mahogany is the neck. I am just using it because the piezo sounds f'n terrible to me on it's own. The Aura only makes the guitar suck LESS than it does without it. I am seriously thinking of running a K&K Meridian condenser mic and hoping that feedback isn't an issue when I get some gigs without the rock band. I have listened to every video on YouTube - Fishman, Baggs, etc. etc. and I hate the sound of everything I hear except for a mic. I have a Baggs M1a on an old Seagull, and I hate that thing too.

I like the mixer so far - it's nice to have it right on the board. And you are right, without a mid knob, it would be useless, I think. I need a mid knob both for guitar and vocals. If I could get the Meridian going, I would have the board set up with the Meridian preamp right there on the board and leave the Aura on there for the times I need to run the stinking piezo when feedback was going to be a problem.

13. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

If you like the sound of your guitar, put a k &k in it. You will then have to get rid of the Fishman Aura since it doesn’t work with the K & k. The Fishman Aura is designed to work with ust pickups maybe just not the one you have. Call Fishman or email them on what works best with it. It is a nice pedal and not a cheap one.

Wondering how you guitar sounds just plugged into the qsc or loudbox. Maybe it’s something in your pedal board that is not making it sound good as you want. I’d take each pedal off one by one and then see if you like it.

I have 2different pickups a k &k and it sounds great with my ev live and fishman loud box. I also have b-band a 2.2 and it sounds pretty good too Just s bit brighter.

14. big jilm

Thanks for the reply. I have run my Element directly into my Fishman, and I can’t stand it. When I first plugged it into my PA a couple years ago, I thought it was OK - but now it leaves me flat. I am thinking of trying the K&K next, but most of the demos I have listened to sound muffled and flat. One of the better tones I have heard was a Baggs Lyric running into a Baggs Para DI - but to be honest, I have never heard an acoustic guitar pickup that I thought sounded really good.