first rehearsal with new Axe FX / CLR rig - WOW!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by geoangus, Jan 31, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

Today I had my first rehearsal employing my new Axe FX XL and CLR wedge. Holy smokes, I couldn't have been happier. First, the CLR delivers in spades!! No worries about it not keeping up as a back line speaker/amp. And as far as the XL, I only set up 5 presets, Matchless DC30, Twin Reverb, Slodano 100, Bogner Shiva and vintage Rectifier. I do need to balance the volumes between the presets better, but DAYUMN, this kicks serious butt. I don't have as many hours playing with it as I'd hoped after two weeks, but I'm totally digging the Matchless and Shiva models. The twin model is good, but I'm not sure if that's settled yet.

Admittedly, after playing for so long guitar >cord > amp, I need to get over this staring at the MFC controller issue (can't stop stomping).

I have to ask, do you guys just go with a few models, or do you set up you "presets" as "songs"? There are a few songs we play that would be better served as their own entities, but a good chunk fit a generic rig setup.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Fun times. Glad you're enjoying the new toys!

I'll set up general "rig" presets and use scenes to switch between the virtual rig's core sounds. For me, I'd only create a dedicated preset if I needed scenes that aren't available in one of my general presets.

3. svl

svl Supporting Member

I use individual presets for each song in a set, programing and relying on Scenes as needed in a song (ESPECIALLY handy in medleys). I do such a wide variety of music it just makes sense (to me) to customized each sound for each tune- the Axe is so powerful it seems a waste not to utilize as much of it's potential as possible.

Playing covers, I love to get as close as possible to each individual tone, trying hard to hit all the little nuances the original artist crafted onto the record. Some days the latest band I'm working with has to play up to 75 or more songs (depending on the event or if we're playing two shows in a day), which is a ton of tunes to program but nowhere near what I have created in the course of my over 5 years with the Axe- in all I have about 350 individual song presets in my arsenal. I keep all of them loaded on my XL, so if I'm jobbing/subbing and a request comes up I can usually nail the tone with little effort which always gets an "amazed" response from the band. Especially if it's a tune with odd bits like synth/heavy FX aural goodies that a normal rig can't reproduce, at least not as quickly or easily.

The other nice thing about having individual presets is being able to name each one whatever the song is, and keep 'em in alpha order on the XL (I use Song/Set to program sets for a show, and with the rest in alpha order it takes no time to find a particular song if it's requested).

4. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

It depends for me, I grabbed my Axe-FX last year and jumped onstage with it pretty quick. Spent a couple of days dialing in a few presets and was really happy from the outset.

Since then, I'll dial in a few more, mainly for really specific songs (She Sells Sanctuary as an effects-heavy example) using scenes to rapidly switch back and forth.

For the most part, for a gig in a cover band I prefer to have a few general presets that suit me so I can spend the rest of my time playing and having fun.

Either way works extremely well with the Axe-FX, they're so damned versatile and easy to use that there's not really a 'wrong' way of going about it all.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I just do presets for given amp tones and a set effect palette so I know what I can do in every preset.

I do have certain song presets for given songs that are just all set to go at the same time.

6. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

I'm a side man so I program just two to three presets for a run of shows.

Then use it stomp box style to engage / bypass virtual pedals.

The Fractal is so good at responding to the guitar controls, I can ride the guitar volume for solos and fills without losing any feel or tone. I stopped using a volume pedal altogether.

7. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Very cool, i just got two CLR neos, cant wait to gig with them..so far in stereo they are killer..One would be enough too as im seeing

8. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

I use Scenes for changes within a song or for an Amp / Rig I really use a lot / like