First song Ive ever fully completed...(minus lyrics)R&B/jazz with rock guitar solo

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by JamesNylen, Nov 10, 2005.

1. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

So this is the first song I have ever completed. Took me 8 long dang days to complete. I played everything over a simple beat. It has proble my best solo to date. Kinda rockish solo.Be easy on me ....Im only 19 and I have never had a single lesson in my life on keyboards...guitars or theory for that matter, so if you hear something that sounds off...that would be why lol lack of training in anything(well i mean I practice but I dont like study anything. Just kinda write and have fun I guess....second warning, I have no musical influences in this style(in other words played by ear.dont know what the hell im doing lol) My influences are Nuno bettencourt, silverchair,Iron maiden...yeah you get the point lol not this.Be easy(im afraid of rejection on something that took me so long to make.

Its at
    www.myspace.com/alongmyway
    it should just pop up and play on there little player
    Let me know what you think,James

2. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I really thought this was cool James... liked all the solo work. I liked the contrast of the distorted solo over the music. The ONLY thing I would suggest (and it isn't a must... just a suggestion)... when the distorted guitar came in... all I could picture was the tones I have heard off of Steely Dan songs. Same contrast but better mix of sounds (IMO)... unfortunately I have heard soooooo many takes on what the different players used in the studio... everything from fender... to vox... to DI. So, no actual idea what you would use to accomplish this.

Great song non-the-less!!

3. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

Thank You!
    I just used a the old Pod rackmount through the whole song lol. I would love to use some of the marshalls...but i live in the city :sigh:

Dude and its a honor to hear you thought it was cool....Loved your composition that you posted. :dude

4. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

The solo is awsome! Just the tone (not a bad tone... just think the other would fit the song better)

Again... great song!!

5. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

yeah got what you were saying after I used my brain and thought for a second lol and then edited my post....(so tired everything is getting harder to understand right now.)

Yeah the tones a little artificial...It went through the pod and then I kinda added reverb and took out alot of the bass in the solo with the recording program cause it sounded really bad when the solo was finished had alot of backgroud noise from the bass....

Question...Does anyone know how to do a fade out or what ever its called in Cakewalk home studio 2004? Ive read the manual and tryed finding it but couldnt....thats the reason I did so many of the same part at the end...I also have a piano/symphony piece that I need to fade into this one at the beggining because it is going to be a concept style cd and the piano piece is going to mark and slowly change over where it goes from the funkier harder rock to the softer more acoustic side of the cd.

6. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I can't gaurentee that it is the same in home studio... but... if it is, it is done like this.

On the hand side of the track view is a... well... list of your tracks. Below this is a list of the subs (if they are not hidden). Make sure all subs are running into a sub named "master" or something similar.

Each of the basic controls should be visible here (i.e. volume, pan, etc.). If you right click over one of the controls... you have the option of either a) arming for automation or b) automation snapshot.

The more accurate way of doing this is to go out to the measure you would like the fade to start at. Make sure your punch-in marker (the little line that runs across the screen when you play or record) is set to that measure... then right-click over the volume of the master sub and select automation snapshot. You'll see a funky dotted line appear running horizontal with the master sub strack and a node where you did the snapshot.

Now go to where you want to end the fade... set your punch-in marker to that measure and repeat the automation snapshot. Now grab the new node and drag it down to the bottom of the track. Last thing you need to do it right click the dotted line BETWEEN the two nodes and select Slow Curve.

As long as everything is running through your master sub.... you'll have the fade out your looking for.

Remember that all controls can be automated (including the controls of DX effect... but that one is less intuitive than the cakewalk controls).

Lemme know if this works in home studio or not and I'll explain how to automate DX effects next.

7. Urban Camper

Urban Camper Member

Excellent job James. :AOK

I really enjoyed listening to that. Keep up the good work!