• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

First Strat... what do I do first?

kimock

Paraphrasing another post here... just received this guitar.

Long time tele and LP guy (90%/10% split). What’s your advice for my first Strat in the 20+ years I’ve been playing?

I'd refinish it. That thing's destroyed.
If you're cool with the cosmetics, make sure it's got a real block in it and put the stock 12's on it.
Just start from scratch. Use it as it was intended to be used and adjust from there.

Mr.db

Ugh, I really hope topics like these aren't going to be common. Do some basic googling if you don't know what to do with the guitar you just spent $1000+ on ffs.

Last edited:

scotty31

Long time strat fan (i have 5)
1st - do you like the tone? Because if you do, leave it and be on your way
If not, there are lots of great pickups out there to test out
Kinman Woodstocks, Lollar Blackfaces & Lace Golds & Holy Grails are some of my faves.

Other than, can't really go wrong with a strat. give it some volume and girth with your amp settings.
I love a good loud strat tone.

Im not a relic fan, but thats still a fine looking fender :)

Paraphrasing another post here... just received this guitar.

Long time tele and LP guy (90%/10% split). What’s your advice for my first Strat in the 20+ years I’ve been playing?

Apparently this Strat has already been on World Tour for 20 years (hella road wear, dude). Find the previous owner and ask him what he did with it.

ntotoro

Play it for hours on end and adjust the pickup height according to your ears, not a ruler. See if there are things you don’t like about the playability and either adjust the saddle heights yourself or have someone do it for you. You’ll have to keep playing with the pickup height as the distance from the pickups will change as you adjust the action.

Trending Topics