First Suhr Incoming!! A few questions...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by krugerj, May 22, 2020.

1. krugerj

krugerj Member

Hi everyone, great to be here. I've ordered my first Suhr, a Classic S from 2015 (second-hand), and I am very excited to finally own one of these after 15 years. I've been blown away by everything I've seen and read about Suhr, and by the ones I've played at shops.

That being said, I did notice something in the listing photos though that struck me as a bit odd. In the following photos, you can see what looks like some neck alignment issues; notice the fretboard dots and distances of the high and low E strings from the edge of the board, the strings over the pickup poles, and the centering of the truss rod adjustment hole. Should I be concerned?

Thanks a lot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Congrats on the new guitar, looks a lovely example. They look almost exactly where they are on the Standard Pro in my hands right now. No issues. If I had to guess, it's because the string spacing is consistent, but the strings themselves get thinner, so the centres of the strings are actually closer together as you move towards the high E? I'd never noticed until you pointed it out!

krugerj likes this.
  3. M40A1

M40A1 Supporting Member

Angle used when pictures were taken is the likely culprit.

Abram4235, David B, jrjones and 12 others like this.
  4. guitarno

guitarno Member

If it is not an optical illusion of the picture angle, it's possible you might need a neck shim adjustment. That's a pretty minor fix.

krugerj likes this.
  5. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

the whole guitar is backwards

garlzz, bikeracr, Abram4235 and 48 others like this.
  6. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I think the angle of the photo(s) is just off center. That’s at least how I see it.

jrjones and krugerj like this.
  7. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Congrats! I'll never forget getting my first Suhr, absolutely blew me away. There's no issue on the guitar you showed us, it's just the angle of the photo (you can tell that 2nd picture is not shot straight on and moving the camera at a bit of an angle and to the left like they did in this photo will give the appearance that the dot is off center).

Trust me when I say an error like that would never in a million years happen on a Suhr build. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a build issue on one of John's guitars. Mine is the most perfectly built instrument I have ever owned.

stratman89, jbd3, Bobbyoso and 2 others like this.
  8. RLD

RLD Member

Bolt on necks that look like that can sometimes be loosened and moved to re align strings.

krugerj likes this.
  9. FennRx

FennRx Member

How does one buy a guitar like this, send payment and then ask questions? No wonder sellers despise PayPal and eBay.

T92780 likes this.
  10. pewing33ny

pewing33ny Member

Looks a bit like the angle of the picture, but I have a 2018 Classic S and it has a tiny bit of that too on the lower strings. Never noticed it until I compared it to your photo.

I purchased mine sight-unseen solely off of reviews after not buying a guitar for years and wanting "the one". I used to work in a guitar shop in the 2000s so I'm not a complete pleb and ran the racks here in NYC but outside of a a St. Vincent (which I returned after bringing it home due to fret access) I was generally unimpressed.

I was and still am super impressed with that Suhr, so much that I purchased a Classic T yesterday (I saw yours on Reverb, I've been refreshing new Suhr listings every hour for the last month). I'm even at the point where I'm going to "thin the herd" just because I don't play anything else and will probably stick to the 2 Suhrs and my beater strat.

Maybe I was lucky and the guitar ended up working out great, the seller was a collector who I don't think ever touched it. Even through the NYC humidity swings I've only had to do small adjustments to get it playing perfectly whereas my other guitars needed a lot more work. I can play for hours and it will barely go out of tune. Sounds great. It's been great for not having excuses to not practice, and I'm a better player because of it.

11. krugerj

krugerj Member

Probably because it's not a make it or break it thing. The deal was good, the issue was noticed before payment, and I know how to work on guitars. Nobody is insinuating that they are going to dispute a payment or return an order. Come on man.

12. krugerj

krugerj Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess we'll find out when the guitar gets here. A shim was what I was thinking also, but I figured I'd ask since I've never seen a Suhr with a misaligned neck!! I never considered a bad photo angle, that's a great point!

13. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

John Suhr will chime in... Wait for him

14. PeterG

PeterG Member

This. Super easy fix, even if it is a bit misaligned. Happens to the best of them. Just be careful because neck pockets on Suhrs are tight.

15. krugerj

krugerj Member

Now THAT would be some seriously outstanding customer service!!!

16. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

I have nothing constructive to say, but that's a beautiful colour. Enjoy!

keenan likes this.
  17. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It wouldn't concern me. It must have been bumped in shipping. It also looks distorted though and the lens will play tricks. Loosen the neck bolts 1/4 turn, pull the neck in to alignment and snug up the neck bolts. Even with a fairly tight pocket the smallest shift at the heel can throw the alignment out.

I take the guitar as if I'm playing, lift the bottom of the guitar up so the top horn is in your chest and with your left hand on the neck pull the neck towards you. I used to do this so much in NYC To so many guitars being sold I had a bruise on the chest bone. ;-). Just be careful to only pull as much as needed.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Jon C, Abram4235, T92780 and 21 others like this.
  18. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

Looks like camera angle when I hone in to how the neck meets the body.

19. J Factor

J Factor Supporting Member

I don't know if the pocket is too tight, but on a Fender, that's typically just a quick one minute neck side-to-side angle adjustment. Edit: the master has spoken two posts above

20. krugerj

krugerj Member

Wow, thank you very much for the reply @Husky! Like I said... OUTSTANDING customer service!! I'll check it out when the guitar arrives. Cheers!