First synth - Moog Sub 37

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by elron hoover, May 28, 2015.

1. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I've been lusting after one of these since they were announced last summer, and finally ordered one last night. It will be arriving Friday, along with a Roland KC-550. This is my first synth and I'm going to be out of my realm with absolutely no idea what I'm doing. There will likely be several hours of just tweaking and noodling when I get it, but I want to actually put it to work creating music asap.

What I'm looking to do, is to try and use the Moog to create everything but guitar and drums. I already have my PC set up with Reaper, and use a Senn 609 through a Roland Quad to record my amps. As far as electronic drums/a drum machine go... I'm not sure about that yet. There has been a Korg Pad Kontrol in my closet for the past year that I haven't touched since the day I bought it. The plan was to use it to tap in my own beats, but that seems like it may be more difficult than anticipated.

I'm just looking for thoughts/opinions/tips on the Moog and how to use it... as well as anything else that may help educate me on what I'm trying to do.

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Those look like fun. Been thinking of unloading my Slim Phatty to pick one up. If they ever release a module (minus the keys) format, I'd be all over it.

Good luck!

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I bought one last Christmas. It's totally old school and sooOo under rated!

View attachment 1865

4. Strat

Strat Member

Took delivery of mine yesterday and the Little Phatty is sold.

5. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Big Congrats!

I wanted these when they first came out but ended up going the Voyager OS route. I love the voyager, but still wonder if the SUB37 would have been the better choice...

BTW, Moog has the best customer service I have ever encountered with anything in my life... I cannot speak enough to the integrity of the company these days. Be prepared to have a lot of fun for a really long time...

6. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Daaaang! I'm in awe of all the tweaking possible.

7. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

Cool - congrats, it's a great synth! I got one a few months ago. Although I've been playing for 40 years, this is my first ever Moog - I'm delighted with it!

For instant gratification, try this:-

Choose Bank 09 Preset 03 'Triplet 5ths'. Play a low A. Turn the Mod wheel up between half and full. Turn Multidrive up gradually to fatten the sound. Play with the Cutoff knob (between about 300 - 500Hz). Play with the resonance knob.

Here's how it sounds (straight out of the Sub37 with a bit of reverb to add some stereo width)...

Very basic stuff, barely scratching the surface. You can spend DAYS just messing with a single sound. :D

Dr. Tweedbucket and elron hoover like this.
  8. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

Is it possible to take sound through the input from an external source, manipulate it, and save the manipulated sound to use later? Like I said, I'm new to synths.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. AndrewC

You can certainly mangle an external (mono) source through the Sub37s filters, but you can't save the resulting sound directly on the Moog - you would need either a sampler or a recording device/DAW.

There's a great review of the Sub37 here - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov14/articles/moog-sub-37.htm

elron hoover likes this.
  10. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! I have always liked Moog Synths.

11. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

Congrats!

I've got a Moog Voyager Signature, a Signature Etherwave, and I just finished restoring an old Moog Prodigy. The Sub37 definitely looks like a very cool synth... I'll keep an eye out for one on the cheap!

12. AndrewC

I got mine from JRRShop - if you use the coupon GROUP at checkout you get 16% off, making it $1259.16. :aok

Bear in mind that, although the Sub 37 is monophonic (well, paraphonic strictly speaking), the keyboard still transmits polyphonic MIDI data, so you can hook it up to Reaper and play full chords through a virtual instrument plugin. Buy Omnisphere 2 and you'll probably never need anything else! :D

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    elron hoover likes this.
  13. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

$1259 is a steal! Unfortunately I needed interest-free financing to get everything, so I have to stick with my order. It arrives today and I can't wait!

Omnisphere 2 looks promising, but I have a LOT of learning to do before I'll know exactly what I need. It would be cool to trigger midi instruments through my PC and route the sound output back to the synth where it could be manipulated further. It's going to be a journey figuring this stuff out.

14. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

I bought my first Moog in 1996. I'm still on that journey and own and use a pile of synthesizers. Back then there were not many virtual instruments... If I had to do it over nowadays, I'd own tons of soft synths!

15. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Can I do the Who stuff on this? Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Reiley etc?