First Take: My New Palmer PDI-03JB Speaker Simulator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by carl_is_tall, Apr 28, 2016.

1. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

So I took a flying leap on this piece of gear last week. I wanted something I could use that was portable, passive, sounded as good as a mic, and that still let me use the sound of my amp onstage. This seemed like it might fit the bill so I bought one. It came in the other day and I hooked it up last night between my Suhr PT-100SE and matching 2x12 cab. I kept my condenser mic in the same exact spot as always and turned on my mixer and laptop to record the results.

I am nothing short of amazed at the sound of this thing. I played for several minutes, put the guitar up and played the recording back thru my mixer. I used 2 separate channels (one for the mic, one for the PDI-03) and A/B'd them with the mute button on my mixer. Honestly,... the Palmer kind of sounded better,... or I guess I should say more like what I hear from my amp. Neither channel had comp, eq, nothing.

I'm am traveling on business for the next few days but when I get back I will post the two recorded .wav files to see what you all think. I moved the switches some but honestly the best settings were Highs=normal, Lows=Flat, JB Switch=Off, Attenuator=(-24db) as suggested by the manual.

My first reaction to this thing was pretty impressed. I will also try it on a few other amps, a tweed deluxe, brown Princeton and my JTM45,... we'll see how it fares with those too.

Anyway, just saying that if you are looking at it and wondering if it's any good,.. I say yes it is! Two of my buddies heard the 2 clips today and couldn't tell what was mic'd and what was the Palmer.

Dang good product that will hopefully make my sound much more consistent gig to gig.

I will say that I have heard the Two Notes but never played thru one. It sounded good. Those seem like good products but I wanted something easy to connect and gig with,.. and passive.

I'll load the clips in a day or so.

2. rummy

rummy Member

Very cool. Looking forward to the clips. So, the JB model is basically PDI-9 with the JB switch then?

3. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Rummy,

The JB Switch and the "Deep-Normal-Flat" 3-way lows option looks to be the added features.

I'm not sure if the filtering is exactly the same or not. And I have never heard a PDI-09 before so I really can't say. The similarities I see on the switching is the attenuator and the "Bright-Normal-Mellow" 3-way highs options. Looks like there is an added 3-way option for the lows and the JB switch. Since I had the JB switch off and the lows in the flat position,... assuming the attenuator and highs filtering is the same,.. then I guess it would be identical. But that's the geologist coming out in me. It could be completely new filters or voicing,.. I just don't know.

rummy likes this.
  4. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Hell I forgot I had a Soundcloud acct. Plus I'm stuck at the DWF airport for 2 more hours so here you go.

I literally just turned on the amp and started playing. This is the first thing I played. I still need to see the difference with overdriven sounds.

Gear: Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top into my Suhr PT-100SE Pete Thorn head. Effects loop out to Boss DD-3 and TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb. Back out to amp, speaker out to Palmer PDI-03JB,.. then to speaker.

Condenser mic is an AKG cheap generic mic. Both signals into Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 into my Macbook Pro. No editing, no eq'ing, no comp nothing. Just raw .wav files.

I actually like the semi-brighter sound of the Palmer. It has a more upfront presence than the microphone. You could eq out some of the lows on the mic but that is why I want a product like this! Just tell the soundguy to do NOTHING!. No eq, no comp, no nothing. Just put my fader up,... way up. LOL

Tell me what you think.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    rummy and Papa Smurf like this.
  5. stubbyJ

stubbyJ Supporting Member

I actually like the mic better in this forum, but in a live setting the difference would be minimal, if noticeable at all. Further, the brighter direct tone may cut better especially if another guitar is in your band. Like you said, knowing what you are sending the sound man is huge. I'm kicking around getting a rivera rockcrusher for his reason.

6. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Nice! I love my Palmer PDI-03s.

doublescale1 likes this.
  7. darkknight91

darkknight91 Member

I think it sounds really good. If you wanted to match the Palmer to the mic I'm sure you could with a little eq. I had a PDI-9 and liked the sound, ease, and consistency with it. I'm considering this one for an upgrade. I'd like to hear a comparison with some gain if you get a chance.

rummy likes this.
  8. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

I liked the 2nd recording. Hell IDK jack about recording tracks but the sounds on 2nd track seemed more "defined" to my ear. sounds good dude. keep rockin'

9. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

How do they compare in crunchy tones?

10. mrboy

mrboy Member

With distorted sounds the differences would be more noticeable. The ease of Palmers etc. is that the sound is quite ready and does seldom require any radical eq'ing.

11. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

The Palmer PDI JB has the same filters as the PDI -03 with the addition of the mid boost, witch is a very useful addition. The treble "normal" setting is also tuned to allow less high frequencies to come through which makes it much more usable than the old filter. This is an awesome guitar/ amp DI.

rummy likes this.
  12. darkknight91

darkknight91 Member

This is a track I did with a PDI-09 a few years back. If the JB version is better I'll be checking it out soon.

rummy likes this.
  13. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Great question. I'll do that comparison after I get back home. Out of town until Tuesday.

14. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

There are actually 2 additional switches. The JB switch for mids and the 3-way switch for lows. The PDI-09 only has attenuator and highs.

I am very impressed so far! I'll play it more next week

15. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Very nice! I'll be playing more distorted sounds next week after I get home. Stuck on a drilling rig in West Texas until Tuesday.