First Time Bass Gear Questions

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Closed Eye, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Closed Eye

Closed Eye Member

Gentlemen! I have two questions as a first time newly SERIOUS bass player!

1. Recommend me a good Fender P-Bass type pickup to drop into a good playing, but okay sounding, bass.

2. I need a gig-worthy amp that sounds good but won't necessarily break the bank. I'm looking to do the $500-$800 range, either combo or head/cab combination, used or worn is fine.

I'll be playing indie/rock/pop covers (rock-radio type songs) but I want some versatility as well (jazz-ish type things, but I understand that may come more from the pickups than anything).

Thanks in advance! Help a brotha out!

2. Closed Eye

Closed Eye Member

Man, are you guys serious? not even so much as one suggestion?

Ah, anyway, I'm glad some of you at least looked at it.

Thank you gentlemen/ladies, have a great day!

3. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

I think most TGPers are guitar players, although one of the moderators is a bass player (I think).

You're better off checking this site for questions on bass gear: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45.

I play bass more than I do guitar so I browse TB a lot.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

What's the bass?

Just as with guitar, the basic rule of thumb is that a good amp will make a good bass sound great.

If you're doing the "rock" band type thing, I'd look for a SS amp with no less than 300w per "channel."

I prefer the sound of 15s, and a single 15 cab would be fine, but if you want more volume a 4x10 is the way to go.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

For a replacement P-pickup, most will agree that you can't go wrong with Lindy Fralin or Jason Lollar if you want a vintage designed replacement. I would also seriously consider Sadowsky's P-pickup since Roger doesn't make anything that sounds less than excellent. If you want something a little more agressive, the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder packs a serious punch. Another surprisingly good sounding P-pickup is the EMG active.

As far as amps, I think you'll find the most value if you buy a used head and cabinet as opposed to a combo. A 4x10 cab and a decent head will get you through all but the loudest of gigs, in which case you should be running through the PA as well. There are lots of SWR and Gallein Kreuger stuff on the used market that would make a great starting rig until you discover your own personal preferences and/or "your sound."

6. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

The Quarter Pounders are very awesome pickups. As far as Bass amps, dont rule out Mesa stuff. Depending on how loud you need to be the Walkabout is very cool and man if you can find one used or decide to spend a little more the M6Carbine/Fathom is UNREAL! Cant go wrong with used Ampeg stuff either but if you need to be quiet I wouldn't suggest a big SVT even though those are pretty much one of the Standards in rock in my opinion it is sort of like a big 100 watt marshall it needs to be cranked! But the Mosfet stuff, especially the Mesa stuff seems to do well at low volumes.

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

Nothing wrong with Fender '62 P-bass pickups but lots of other people make excellent replacement pickups like Semour Duncan Antiquities, Lindy Fralin, Jason Lollar, Nordstrand and so on. Amps are a personal thing. I'm old school and need that tubey goodness so I'd be looking for a used head and cabinet with tubes in the preamp section. With a budget of $800 you should be able to find something very good like a USA production SVT-3Pro and a 410 or 212 cab.

8. Zim

Zim Member

yes, there are a bunch of pick up choices out there. All mentioned above are great.

Now for amps? Go find you a nice used Peavey amp. Can be had on the cheap and they sound great! And damn near can't kill them. Find a Basic 115 combo, the ones w/ the red an d black face. That is a DAMN good combo! Should be around $300-$400 used, maybe less, maybe more. Put worth every penny, and a P-Bass sounds great w/ it.

my 2 cent

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I agree you can't kill a Peavey...believe me I've tried...desperately...on many occasions. The downside is that Peavey uses MDF for their combo cabinets, resulting in perhaps the worlds heaviest series of bass combos. And they only have one top mounted handle and no casters. But for the money they don't sound that bad. I still stand behind my original recommendation of buying seperates and building a rig over time that fits your specific needs and gives you the sound you hear in your head.

10. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

If money is your biggest concern, you're probably best off doing the Peavey combo thing like they said. But if you aren't desperate to have it now and poor at the same time (I lived there for a loooooooong time :p ) , then I'd recommend looking at used head and cab rigs.

Expect to need about triple the wattage that sounds reasonable if you come from a guitar background. A thirty watt guitar amp can fill the room with sound easily. A hundred watt bass amp will often get lost.

Most bands you'll see gigging will have VERY uneven power ratings from the bass side to the guitar side.

In my old band: My guitar had a 100W stereo rig. That's 50W per side, each into one twelve inch speaker. I had a 760W monster rig with two tens and two fifteens.

It worked out about the same. Bass takes a LOT more electrical effort to get out there.

With gear, always buy just a bit more than you can afford at the time.

11. bluzbass

bluzbass Member

+1 on the pick-up suggestions.As far as amps go ,check out Carvin or Ampeg combos,their all good!

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I sure have played some really inexpensive basses and amps lately and the build quality and tones are great.

OTOH, I love the SVT that they've got at GC. I play it every time I go in.

I used to really like using a 4 X 10 Bassman but though the tone is wonderful, they start breaking up pretty early.

I'm a big fan of having the bass come from one and only one source. Try not to do any line out stuff to the board if you can help it. The distance between the speakers only muddies the sound. Bass is omnipresent anyway from just one speaker.

Yes, to needing quite a bit of power for bass. However, most of the problems you'll have hearing yourself come from other players who can't stay out of our turf. Humbucking guitars with chunka chunka 4 X 12 cabs are the worst. Andy Summers we need you now if you get what I mean.

13. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

410 ampeg, mark bass?