First time fret dressing!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jmysapp3, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jmysapp3

jmysapp3 Member

I have recently been getting into fixing, setting up, ect. my guitars for fun and to save money. I've been reading some of Dan Erlewine's books and came to the conclusion that the frets needed to be leveled. Keep in mind I'm not practicing on my nice guitars, just some old cheapies. Anyway, I got some fret files and the necessary tools to complete a dressing. I finished about an hour ago. I really enjoy working on guitars (even though I just started). I'm not expecting my first fret dressing to be that great, but what are some ways to tell if I did a good job or bad?

2. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

sharp fret ends, fretting out on bends, etc...

i have an allparts neck on a tele that i can't seem to get the fret ends right on no matter what i do- would love to see some pics if you wanna show off. :D

3. telest

telest Member

I think this is a smart move on you're part to be non reliant on others to work on your guitar. I'm pretty much self sufficient on guitar set up, but fret dressing is where I get a bit nervous. I know it theory wise and have done leveling and dressing using a contoured diamond file. I would like to get good enough to really be confident in my work though. Good luck.

Steve

4. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I'm almost there. I need a good fret level though. I have most other things. Good luck with it and have fun!

5. ked

ked Supporting Member

6. wemedge

wemedge Member

If it plays well for you after you finish, then you're there.

I find it personally very rewarding. On my current main guitar I did the fretboard shaping and refret, nutwork, also cut and shaped the headstock and back contour (asymmetric V). Just kept at it until I got it to where I wanted it. Fun stuff.

Good luck with your work.

7. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

ked beat me to it...I'm going to give it a try on a bass that needs new frets. I'll see if I can level them using the method outlined in the link. I think its the best way to do it. The only special tools are a fret crowning tool and the metal gaurds to protect the fretboard.
    I was going to hit up a flooring place for a nice peice of corriander.

8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

That should make for a spicy fret job.
    I think you mean Corian? (sorry, couldn't resist!)