• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

First time Fuzz... but somewhere between fuzz and OD

pennylink

Wanting to dip my toes in the fuzz pool for the first time, what would be a versatile fuzz for playing at home that straddles the fence between fuzz and OD?

I'm not crazy about the 'wall of doomy fuzz' that I hear on many YouTube vids (bad recording quality could have something to do with this), but would prefer something with good note definition when playing blues lead lines and that doesn't drown out a guitar's inherent tone. I recently saw a video of the Klinger Fuzz Buzz that sounded really good to my ears. So something along those lines, but preferably with a smaller footprint and that I can power from my pedalboard.

Heady Jam Fan

I dont know the King Fuzz Buzz, but here is what I would suggest:

Analogman Astrotone is a lower gain fuzz that definitely straddles the fence.

Skreddy Screwdriver also straddles the fence, has a very fuzz face like texture, but at lower gain.

Skreddy Lunar Module is similar to the Screwdriver, but has more gain on tap. You can dial it in to sound exactly the same as the Screwdriver if you want, or back off your volume knob. This is the most versatile fuzz.

I am considering picking up a Fulltone 70. It sounds pretty decent, not as good as the Lunar, but it has a midrange knob, while all the others I mentioned have flat midrange. Most other fuzz pedals have scooped midrange except a tonebender, buzzaround and a few muffs.

Jet Age Eric

I think the Basic Audio Scarab is wildly overrated as a straight fuzz (and miscategorized as a MKII), but it could be great as a way of hedging your bets. -E

cwcashiniv

Skreddy Lunar Module - for a first time fuzz, this would be the best route IMO. Get your hands on one cheap in the Emporium now since most are flipping them for the mini deluxes Marc is now making. Or I highly suggest picking up a new deluxe mini from Marc and waiting one month or so. :aok

rico1204

Skreddy Lunar Module - for a first time fuzz, this would be the best route IMO. Get your hands on one cheap in the Emporium now since most are flipping them for the mini deluxes Marc is now making. Or I highly suggest picking up a new deluxe mini from Marc and waiting one month or so. :aok
Decided on this as my first fuzz as well. After much research, went with this one based on the reviews and clips on the net. It's a very versatile pedal. Anxiously awaiting my LMMD (the new mini). 3 weeks left!

wundergussy

Fuzz/ODs I've personally owned, in my order of preference:

1. Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest
2. AM Astrotone
3. Skreddy Screwdriver
4. Basic Audio Futureman
5. Keeley Fuzzhead

meterman

Usually the wall-of-fuzz stuff is coming from Big Muff clones, and Tonebenders also have lots of gain.

Really any Fuzzface clone, especially a germanium one, will respond very well to your guitar's volume knob and give you a wide range of tones from fullbore fuzz to bluesy overdrive to sparkling clean. It takes a little getting used to but they are very versatile that way. I really like the new smallbox '69 from Fulltone.

Steven

The Minibone can be tweaked to do anything from overdrive to all out fuzzy crazyness. Its super versatile and sounds fabulous.

Orbis_Ignis

BAT Black Forest
Skreddy Screwdriver or possibly Lunar Module
Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz Dlx......will go from Clean Boost to OD to Fuzzface to Splat depending on how you set it

nerdbot

Been searching awhile for a pedal that cleans up and sounds smooth on single notes like a fuzzface, but still has enough attack and definiion for palm mutes and open chords. That said, I'll be purchasing a Pigtronix Aria once I get the funds. Haven't played it IRL but the video reviews show a lot of promise. To me it sounds like a blend of ts/muff/fuzzface depending on the settings.

Astrotone
Screwdriver
This is the first thing I thought too. Rat pedal maybe? That said, jump right in. Get a Ge Sun Face. If you want OD, just dial your guitar volume back a bit. it gets cleaner than most ODs in a very good way. The two above are really just great distortion pedals.

Trending Topics