First time fuzz buyer,throw a few at me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joolzriff, Apr 18, 2008.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

never bought a fuzz before and i would like to purchase 2 fuzzes this year...one germanium fuzz and one silicon fuzz for Hendrix esc tones- bramhall type to give u the rough picture.... .........................i would probably like to buy a boutique pedal...both must have nice sustain and clean up well w/ vol control...
    tone is subjective but any suggestions would be appreciated

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

when i go back to fuzz. . . it's going to be analogman. . . that would be for germ OR silicon

. . . or someone else builiding me a byoc. . .

3. Structo

Structo Member

I have the Analogman NKT Sunface with Sundial and it is the best I have used.
    The sundial is the middle knob that controls the bias to the transistors.
    Since Ge transistors are sensitive to temperature and supply voltage it allows you to set it just right.
    This was the control that was missing on the original Fuzzfaces which would have made them a lot better back in the day.

Really cleans up nice with the guitar volume control.
    You can go from fairly clean to gnarly with a twist of the knob.

If you buy one make sure you take the bottom left cover screw off as Eric Johnson says it robs tone if it is there. lol

4. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

My wife surprised me with a Fulltone 70 a few months ago, and I have been really liking this fuzz quite a lot. It really is a great silicon fuzz! It will do JH to EJ no problem at all.
    Best Regards!

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I have to agree about the Analogman stuff. I got a used NKT Sunface from the Emporium and it totally has the vintage Cream tone nailed. It has the same NKT's from the 60's that they used in the original Fuzz Faces, and Analog Mike has a great rep.
    For a silicon fuzz, you might want to check out the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, or you could just get a BC108 Sunface. Also, check out the Throbak Overdrive Boost. It's a clone of the 70's Colorsound Overdriver (Jeff Beck used it all through the 70's) with switchable modifications. It's a clean/dirty boost, silicon fuzz, overdrive, hybrid germanium/silicon fuzz/overdrive, and attenuator all in one. It's $220 new, but totally worth it. I get great Doyle Bramhall ll-type fuzz tones out of mine. Just a suggestion.
    I think your best bet would be to start combing the Emporium for a used one. I have my Sunface and a Throbak Fuzzhaze. I was A/B'ing them the other day and I have to admit I was able to get the same sound from the FH, but the Sunface sounds a tiny bit more lo-fi, which does add to it's vintage character. But the Fuzz Haze is so close to it (with different transistors, I might add) that only the most discriminating player might notice. But if you want the external bias knob (Sundial) and you're a stickler for authenticity, then get a Sunface (I'm glad I have both of them because the Fuzz Haze has a little more gain than the Sunface, so I can use them for different fuzz sounds).

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Eric Johnson does that with his?!! Wait, let me get my screwdriver!!

7. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Retroman Sybil, silicon and germanium fuzzes in one box. Run them alone or in series or parallel. This is the fuzz to have when you can have only one and then some.

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Also, for silicon fuzz, you can't go wrong with a KR Gypsy Fuzz. This guy KNOWS Hendrix!!

9. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Analogman Sunface, better yet, get the Sunlion...

Sunlion and Rat are my "cold, dead fingers" pedals.

10. honduras

honduras Supporting Member

Definitely the Lovepedal 200lbs!

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Try a BBB07, covers a lot of ground.

12. obscured

obscured Member

+1 on the Analogman. I have a NKT-275 Sun Face and its the best fuzz I've ever played.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

My AnalogMan modded Arbiter Fuzz Face is the best germanium Fuzz Face I've ever used...I'll be getting a Silicon FF as well this year for a different flavor and the new Hendrix looks great...it even got a thumbs up from analog Mike!

14. fishlog

fishlog Member

When I think of Fuzz I tend to think more in the lines of chaos, effector 13 and Zvex... so I guess I can't help

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

16. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

For a first fuzz purchase I would go with the Mojo Hand Huckleberry. It is a fuzz face based circuit with a Muff tone stack and is made with one geranium and one silicon transisitor. It really covers alot of different fuzz tones. Play around with it for a while then decide on with which direction you would like to go in terms of fuzz before you go out and buy a higher end fuzz like a Analogman or Zvex.

17. neil99

neil99 Member

Skreddy makes some fine fuzzboxes

18. DC1

DC1 Member

19. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

What do ya'll think about the Cusack Screamer Fuzz?

20. nibus

nibus Supporting Member