First time: G&L S-500

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GA19RVT, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I only know if the MFD pickups in my asats , a special a classic . Where these pickups really shine is on a stage with a band if you want to stand out . They really cut through the mix . They are fantastic pickups , more on the bright side . I think they actually might sound a bit like a filtertron when I think about it . The neck pickups in both asats are more useful with a wider range of sounds then a regular tele pickup.
    I Also have a legacy and legacy deluxe , great guitars .
    I have Played a couple dog G&L's but once you find a good one resale isn't an issue as you won't sell it .
    I have had several custom shop fenders come and go ... But won't let go of my G&Ls

2. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

Resale: I'm not sure G&L is any worse than Fender as a function of their original new price. You take about a third off either one for a reasonable used price.

Quality: There are lots of manufacturers making superior products to Fender and Gibson AND selling them for less.

Fretboard/neck: I never really liked the #1, 12" radius fretboard on my S-500. Am I mistaken, or does G&L's neck option jump from 7.5" to 12"? But it's not just the fretboard. The neck cross section was too flat for me. Then again, I
    love the Axis neck, so that's where I'm coming from...

3. Seakayak

Seakayak Member

I really appreciate the bass/treble cut controls on my Legacy, as opposed to the standard Strat tone controls, would not want to do without them. Very good quality and tones for the price, or twice the price.

If you purchase new from an authorised dealer, you can spec what you want, such as neck profile, stainless steel frets, etc.

Use the TGP Google search up above for short search terms like G&L. Click Search, then use "Search forums using Google".

4. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

You bet. Keep in mind that there are three versions of the MFD - the more traditional single coil shape, the larger almost P90 shape (which subsequently has a slightly fatter tone), and the Z-coil that has noise canceling and coil taps. I've owned each style in various G&L's over the years and they are very responsive to playing style, pick attack, etc. They can be as hot or as mild as you want them to be, but you will need to learn to use the volume control to get the sound you want. The MFD's have a lot of character throughout the range of the volume pot and they won't wimp out at lower volumes like some pickups do. When you add in G&L's PTB system, you have more tones than you will most likely ever use. Glassy, honky, quacky... it's all there depending on how you set the controls.

I have an ASAT Classic (traditional MFD's) in ash with a maple/maple neck. It weighs 9 lbs and the MFD's are so dynamic in that guitar that I no longer have a need for a P90 guitar. I absolutely love the tone of that ASAT. Later this year I expect to pickup another S-500 to cover the hotter tones that my current Legacy (with alnico pickups) doesn't cover.

Re: G&L as a company... as mentioned, Leo felt confident about his vision for improving the Fender guitars he originally designed. There's a lot of people who will never hold G&L in as high regard as Fender. Too bad for them really, because the Legacy, S-500, and ASAT are top notch instruments that are more refined than traditional Fender designs and they are affordable - even new. Some people are put off by the headstock shape, for others there isn't a huge aftermarket for G&L parts and accessories, and I'm sure the lack of marketing (swag) doesn't help either. None of those things have any bearing on how the guitar plays but they can affect the overall experience of owning a G&L. If you can deal with it, then go for it.

5. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I enjoyed my S-500, though had to turn the guitar volume down to get to the sounds I wanted. It sit nicely in the elect/acoustic band mix, I was in at the time. Found zero use for the neck/bridge toggle and blocked the trem with a wooden wedge. Like all my old G&L's, not a single complaint on workmanship.

That said, I now plays Fenders. Though I'm curious about the new alnico pickup ASAT.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I think the majority of strat type G&Ls come with a 12" radius while the asats come in7.5" but of course they can be ordered with either

7. autonomous

autonomous Member

I have 3 G&L.

1. ASAT Deluxe Hollowbody "F" hole - USA ( would like to get pup replacements (57's I think)
    2. SC-2 - USA
    3. Legacy - Tribute

All three are outstanding and would never sell any of them. RESPECTFULLY, I never understood buying a guitar as an investment. There are many other avenues to do this. Resale should never play a role in the purchase of a guitar in my opinion. G&L's have always sounded great, felt perfect in my hands and were easier on the wallet than their counterparts. I then have more $$$ in my pocket for better investments for my family.

8. memiller

memiller Member

If you're worried about resale feel free to quit playing guitar. It's an instrument, not an investment.

The idea that G&L is somehow second-class to a "real" Fender is idiotic.

9. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I bought a wall hanger demo ASAT w/12" radius. Am reminded, it did develop some checker under the finish, but they turned it around in a few days to the dealer, and it was fine. I played it in a country band and thought it was great, until I ordered a light Legacy hardtail. I remember the night and the moment I put the ASAT down and put the Legacy on. It was an Oh Yeah moment. I need alnico pickups. I just do.

10. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

with the mfd pups, you can spend hours on one pickup just playing around with the volume and ptb knobs. it's really a re-learning process at first.

11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Leo Fender died more than 20 years ago, and G&L has tinkered with the designs since then. A very obvious example is moving from three bolt to four bolt necks in the late '90s.

The Tributes have never impressed me much. The orginal Korean made ones didn't feel as good as otherr Korean guitars to me. The current Indonesian Tributes seem a bit nicer. But they still don't have the feel of the American made ones to me.

There was a 3 bolt ASAT in a local shop a while back I would have liked to buy but didn't have the money. More recently there's been a Legacy in the same shop that seems to disappear for a bit, only to turn up again some weeks later. I don't know if they're renting it, or it's been sold a couple of times only to be traded back.

12. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

This is kind of where I'm at right now. Just played on the neck PU for about 45 minutes with the B control all the way down. Totally nailed the Hendrix "Long Hot Summer Night" tone. Very cool.

13. cfo_deebiedaddy

cfo_deebiedaddy Member

I have a couple of USA-made G&Ls that are beautiful guitars and that were bought for very reasonable prices. An S-500 is less traditionally 'stratty' than a legacy, but they're very cool guitars. I used to have one of the tribute series 500s.

I doubt there's a better deal on a used guitar. I wouldn't buy a brand new one unless I wanted something really hard to come by (e.g., one of the the 3 pickup ASAT specials)

14. humblepie

humblepie Supporting Member

G&L's are wonderful. I rate Fender 2nd to G&L 9 times out of 10. I've owned a dozen Legacy and a half dozen ASATs over the years, and a couple of S-500s. Last year I spent large money on a famous Signature strat from Fender. After numerous problems and poor support, I sold it. Currently I'm playing a 10 yr old ASAT semi hollow, no F hole, an absolute gem of an instrument. Had Duncan Alnico II Pro pup set as well as hotter Fralins, and the instrument is just glorious.

Matter of fact, I just traded an upper line ESP/LTD and an Epi Elitist SG for 2 of the newest Tribute models, a Bluesboy and a Legacy. Folks if you haven't seen these, they are dead on the USA instruments with quality construction and parts, tone tone tone, and looks. I think this first run is nearly equal to the USAs and they shame the high dollar Fender Sig strat, which I'm so happy to be rid of.

I love G&Ls, more and more after I venture away and return.

15. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

Mirrors my experience with the custom shop fenders I had , I preferred my G&Ls .
    I do however like the American vintage reissue hot rod and thinskin fenders .
    My two asats and and my regular legacy are keepers, however my legacy deluxe is on the block .
    My custom fenders are long gone

16. Slowbono

Slowbono Member

I have 3 USA S-500's (Two of them Leo Fender Signatures), 3 USA Legacies (Two of them 30th. anniversaries), 1 USA Asat Classic (A Leo Fender Signature) and an Interceptor.
    I love G&L. They are very innovative, high quality and great players. Did I mention awesome customer service? I've had 2 necks replaced. One, was on my Leo Fender Signature S-500. I only sent it in for a refret but they replaced the whole neck and gave it new numbers (Wow). The new neck was to the same specs as the original (Wow). I was scared because this guitar (I named him "Captain Kirk") is my #1 go to guitar. He is, no doubt, top dog of my enterprise. However, rest assured, G&L had my back. My new neck is even better than the first. It's awesome and makes my Signature S-500 come alive with even better jaw dropping bliss (Wow). I love G&L and each and every person that makes them the great company they are. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

JB Eckl and ASATlove like this.
  17. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

Ive never seen one used for $650 unless it is a Tribute which are less than that new. I usually look on eBay and Reverb for used guitars and the lowest American S-500 ive seen lately was a 2009 Deluxe for $950. If you saw a Mint USA S-500 for $650....id jump on it!

To the OP.....As for what others will think of playing one....i wouldnt care what anyone thought if i liked it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    ASATlove likes this.
  18. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

I have a couple of S500s myself, a "standard" and a Deluxe with rear routed controls and maple top. Excellent guitars. The MFD pickups have a nice bark to them, nothing else really sounds like them. The mini switch is actually for combining the neck and bridge pickups.

Gratuitous pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i am a recent g&l convert. been a usa hamer player exclusively for 15 years or so. i picked up a legacy special in december '14 and it is fantastic. i bought a fallout last week and it is fantastic too. they have several neck carves available with info on their website about shapes and thicknesses. fwiw, i really like the 1c neck. nice and full but not a baseball bat by any means. they build quality is top notch. you can get some good deals on used ones but don't be afraid to look at new at the right dealer. both of mine came from musicstorelive.com and they were right at $1k each. the quality easily rivals fender custom shop at much less than half the price.