• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

First time I’ve seen this on a PRS

Thunderlung

Silver Supporting Member
I love PRS guitars as much as the next guy and I’ve always thought that their “budget” line was outstanding and, typically, beautiful. I stumbled upon this one today. Does this top appeal to anyone? It definitely leaves me cold. I’ve seen this kind of thing on Gibsons (which I also love) but never on a PRS at any price point. To be clear, I’m not talking about the materials. I’m only talking about the horribly matched top with the blatant off-center seam.

Update: The example that I linked is no longer available on Sweetwater’s site. The 4 showing now have much better matching between the pieces.

Last edited:

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
I love PRS guitars as much as the next guy and I’ve always thought that their “budget” line was outstanding and, typically, beautiful. I stumbled upon this one today. Does this top appeal to anyone? It definitely leaves me cold. I’ve seen this kind of thing on Gibsons (which I also love) but never on a PRS at any price point.

It’s not a maple top. It’s a mahogany body guitar. They’ve made a ton of them over the years. It’s not that rare.

dazco

Clarification: I’m talking about the horribly matched top.
Seriously? How many fenders have you seen in your life? Because if that number is more then 2 or 3, surely you have seen far worse fenders than that PRS in this respect. That thing looks like a 1 piece compared to some of the horrific fenders i have seen, and i'm a fender guy who doesn't even like PRS.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Clarification: I’m talking about the horribly matched top.
Like anything, it’s a matter of opinion. It could have been matched better but I don’t think it’s horrible. I’ve seen other PRS SE guitars with tops not matched as well as that one. Maybe it sounds or plays better than one with a perfectly matched top?

Yeah, it's only $600 but it was bad judgement on PRSs part. Coming from a PRS fan that doesn't own any Gibson's...Gibson would've solved this problem easily by making it a solid color.

Not sure what the person in charge of that stuff was thinking, but a simple wipe with naptha would've revealed the grain mismatch. Then just paint it a solid color like black or something. Problem solved.

Too bad they didn't do that. I'm sure it'll sell eventually though.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Kind of looks like a 3-piece body to me; probably should have been a solid color instead of the burst.

But then again I'm old enough to remember the "3-piece 10-tops" available on the EG models in the early 1990s -like this one from Reverb. Yes, this was a factory option back then:

RC Mike

Surprisingly bad. Gotta wonder if one of the Indonesian factory workers thought it would get a veneer, but those go on the thinner maple-capped bodies.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Kind of looks like a 3-piece body to me; probably should have been a solid color instead of the burst.

But then again I'm old enough to remember the "3-piece 10-tops" available on the EG models in the early 1990s -like this one from Reverb. Yes, this was a factory option back then:

Really like that color and the figuring. But just cannot get with that mismatch!

walkindaddy

I love PRS guitars as much as the next guy and I’ve always thought that their “budget” line was outstanding and, typically, beautiful. I stumbled upon this one today. Does this top appeal to anyone? I’m only talking about the horribly matched top with the blatant off-center seam.

Take a closer look at the other 3 (front and back), that are also available and on display on the same SW page....

worser ?? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Trending Topics