• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

First time listening to "Tribue to Jack Johnson"

Ryan Donahue

Wow. I thought this was just another Miles Davis record. Not that I'm not a fan but I just never got around to checking this out. Also, I have never listened to anything by John McLaughlin. Good googily this is good.

Really good.

Damn...

neoprimitive

I'm a huge Miles Davis fan. His electric era stuff was way ahead of its time. In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Live Evil, all taught me a lot about music.. ridiculously amazing music, that could never be replicated or touched.. Peace Miles...

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I envy you. I wish I could go through discovering all that stuff again. What a rush.

Average Joe

I have mixed feelings about that album. The first side is one of my favourite Miles - just a fantastic jam with people playing their Hearts out. The groove is outstanding and McLauglin's rhythm playing may well be the recording of his that I like the best. I listen to that first cut all the time.

But that second side - I dunno maybe it makes sense if you're stoned or something. I find it meandering and disjointed. Those early Electric Davis albums have their share of beautiful quiet moment, but to my ears that cut on ATJJ is just weak

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
That one never gets old. Those guys were so on, it's almost scary.
MD

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
Couple of summers ago, I heard Spanish Key for the first time (or at least paid attention for the first time) and the same thing happened to me. It quite literally stopped me in my tracks (actually in my car seat); I was on a beer run on a hot summer Sunday and I heard the tune on college radio.

Lots of guys here seem to have listened to everything anyone ever recorded (ever), but my ears/brain were not ready when this came out.

I went thru my first big JMc phase as an adult.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom