First Tonker clips... Journo backing

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, Aug 8, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

2. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Deffinately likin' the speaker! Good match for the Fuchs... whats the stock speak that comes with the Fuchs? A wizard something or other?

Definately diggin' the change.

3. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Chris!

Yeah, Wizard is standard now, but Andy and I are going to be evaluating the Tonespotter too.

Thanks for listening...

Scott

4. scottl

scottl Member

I was really troubled by these tones... I had used my SM57 mic. I went back and did a couple choruses a few moments ago with my Audix I5. Big improvement!!!

Check this... Much more articulate. The SM57 was muddy with the unbroken in Tonkers. Still not sure I like the really punchy Tonker mids....

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/august/JournoFunkaudix1.MP3

Scott

5. fig

fig Member

Scott - I really like the new clip with the Audix. And I love the Tonkers, btw!
    I admit that I liked the clip with the Shure. But now comparing the two, the Audix is better - clearer. Maybe it was just how you had the amp settings or something before with the Audix (??).
    But it sounds great in this new clip. . .

Great playing too!!

6. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I'm with fig - the Audix mic seems clearer, less coloration from the mic (or less percieved anyway) and better top end detail. All sound great though. The Tonker sounds cool!

All that said I really like the clips you recorded with the SLX30 and Wizard speaker better. Of course there's many different variables involved so it's not apples-to-apples.

Awesome playing as always!:dude

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Wonderful playing, heh yeah lots of mids here, but they do bite nicely though.
    :cool:

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

Perhaps your discomfort with the mids arises from the contrast between backing track and guitar. Your lead track would blend much better with a backing track containing less high end or ambience, not sure which, IMO. The Tonker seemed somewhat lacking in the higher frequencies, but that may result from another part of your recording chain. Great playing as usual.

9. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Woe - your phrasing is excellent, great stuff.

Edit: Just curious...who do you enjoy listening to?

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Heck, they all sound great. Although I agree the new mic is an improvement.

The usual flawless playing...

11. L5player

L5player Member

Hey Scott,

One thing I've been curious about with these clips. Do you drive the amp into saturation when you record these? What it sounds like to me is that there is a compression happening which dampens the attack and decreases the dynamic range of the sound. Much like what a compressor might do but I seriously doubt that you are using one. Is the amp sort of tuned in to produce this kind of compression?

I know when I saturate the power amp that this tends to happen, a natural compression. But I get the feeling that if you are recording at home, you probably are not driving the power stage.

While the tone changes somewhat, it seems that this compressed quality is rather consistent.

Jim

12. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Derek! Means a lot coming from a great player like you!

My guitar faves include (short list): Scott Henderson, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Robben Ford, Pat Martino, Mike Stern, Jim Hall, Sylvain Luc, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Jeff Beck, and Jimi Hendrix

But, I also love lots of non guitarists such as: John Coltrane, Mike Brecker, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, Joey Calderazzo, et al.....

Guys that I respect but never ever listen to and have zero influence from: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie, EVH, John Petrucci, and any player from these genres. I mention this since I totally come from a non-rock mindset.

It is important for me to think very nonguitarcentric. It helps the phrasing...

Thanks again for commenting!

Scott

13. scottl

scottl Member

Hi Jim,

On these clips, I had my post OD treble bleed turned up a tad. That would add some natural compression. You are correct. I have never recorded with a compressor. The cool thing about the amp is that I can adjust this effect completely! I can run more gain on the clean side and less on the OD side and get a more dynamic tone. Or do what I did for a more compressed and blooming fusion horn tone.

Scott

14. L5player

L5player Member

That makes a lot of sense. So to get the fusion horn tone you are running less gain on the clean and more on the OD section to compress the guitar. Putting more treble past the OD to crash the power tubes into compression. Is there anything about the clean side in terms of EQ or tonal qualities that add to this effect?

Jim

15. scottl

scottl Member

Actually I am bleeding treble after the OD. Less treble. The filtering compresses things a little. I should crank it and get some saturation on my next clips!!

16. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Scottl Owns!!!

Loved the clips bro!! Your phrasing and playing kills!

I hope all is well!!

(Note to self..... Must resist buying a fuchs.... I Can't afford it!! ) :D

~Ralph~

17. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Had a hunch what your infulences were just from your clips, but I wanted to confirm it! A few of those guys are on my list (friggin' love Stern), but you'd never know it...thats why I'm here, this place is loaded with more fusion-y type players and thats what I want to get into now...kinda like a *loose the shred, and add the head* type of thing.

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Exactly!

Scott's playing is always on fire so
    everything sound great. It was nice to
    hear the difference in 2 mics. I have to
    buy more mics.

Scott,

Beautiful!

Tomo

19. journo

journo Member

Hi Scott,

Hearing you rip all over my track made my day. I wish I could play like that. Got to find me a teacher around here.

Sound wise I really liked the Audix track way better than the Shure tracks. The Audix sound was more balanced and fit the track so much better.

Cheers,

Mats N

20. Marcello

Marcello Member

cool stuff Scott, i prefer the wizzies and the spotters.

Did you position the Audix the exact same way as the 57 ? curious cuz a slight variation can produce different tones.

Thanks