• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

First tube issue...

xrleroyx

So one of my power tubes in my super reverb reissue shattered. :(.

So I bought some new Mesa power tubes and popped them in. Do I need a rebias?

xrleroyx

Can't find any concrete information about this on the web. I know someone here knows the answer....

HawkeyeKane

In a word, yes. You should have an adjustment pot though, so if you know what you're doing, it should make it easier.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Most certainly get it re-biased. An Amp Tech will not charge a lot for this, and it's well worth it for max tone and max tube life. In the future, buy a Quad of matched power tubes, and get the one set biased, the second back up set will slide right in as the replacement no issues or need to re-bias again. Then, repeat the Quad matched purchase thing again when that last set of quad matched tubes finally quits.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
The weber biasrites usually go for under $100 used. Just pick one up and learn how to safely do it. It's very easy.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, especially with the inconsistency of modern tubes, you should check the bias any time you replace power or rectifier tubes. Once you determine the 70% dissipation point, use your ears for setting the bias for the best sound but not to exceed the 70% point.

xrleroyx

The weber biasrites usually go for under $100 used. Just pick one up and learn how to safely do it. It's very easy.
Is that cheaper than what a tech would charge? If so, I might just go for it.

Is there a guide somewhere for it?

I really appreciate the replies.

Robbgnarly

If it had Grovetubes in it, you should be fine, mesa and Grovetubes use the same rating system to grade their tubes. But like said having it checked is not a bad idea and learning to do it is even better

Top Bottom