First world problems...what color grill cloth to get on Mesa cab?

guitarman3001

I already have a pair of old Mesa Compact 1x12 cabs but am now interested in getting one of the Mini Rec 1x12 cabs. The idea is to use it as a second cab with my Rectoverb 25 combo and eventually with a Mark V25 as soon as I can afford one of those.

The dilemma is my Rectoverb 25 combo's grill cloth is the cream/black color so do I want to get the cab to match that or do I get regular black which seems to be more popular and more common?

The amp:

The cabs

Obviously the cream/black matches the combo but like I said above, the standard black seems to be more popular from everything I've seen.

Is the cream/black one the obvious choice for me?

The compact cabs I have are black, btw.

guitarman3001

Get the colour matching cab. It will look pretty sleek.

Even better: get the 2x12
Thought about it but the 2x12 is just too big. I got rid of my 4x12 because it was too big and Mesa's vertical 2x12 is pretty much almost as big as my old 4x12. If I want a bigger cab I have a pair of Marshall 4x10s I can use.

What I'm finding is I want something in between the compact Mesa 1x12s, which are nice cabs but a bit too small and lacking in low end, not to mention very directional, and the 4x10s which are about as big as I'd want to go. The mini rec 1x12 is bigger than my compact 1x12s and smaller than the 4x10s so at least in theory it's just about the perfect size for my needs.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
Absolutely the salt and pepper grill. That will look so smooth under the combo. And it's classic. I've never really been a fan of plain black cabs with plain black grill cloth.

Evo5150

When I get my MV:25, I'm getting the grey and black, and a second 1x12 Wide Body with the same.

Dave

I really like salt & pepper too, although it's weird to see it oriented horizontally. Still very cool. ;)

ledzep618

If the option to match is there, I would take it. I'm not too picky about matching gear these days but I wouldn't intentionally not match it.

guitarman3001

If the option to match is there, I would take it. I'm not too picky about matching gear these days but I wouldn't intentionally not match it.
Yep, the deed is done. It cost me a but more but at least it will match with the ROV25. Won't match with any of my other cabs though so if I want to use the ROV with this cab and one of my other cabs it'll look a little strange but I suspect I'll end up using just this cab with it most of the time.

No clue what I'll do if/when I pick up the MKV:25.

I wonder though, maybe I can change the grill cloth on the compact 1x12s I have.

Anyone know where I can get some of the cream/black grill cloth? That would actually be a cool project. All my Mesa cabs would match.

Fulldrive-1

I think all Mesas should be clad in Black. That way you won't get any glare reflecting into your eyes, obscuring your vision of the dozens of tiny knobs, switches, sliders and indicators on the typical Mesa control panel.

ledzep618

I think all Mesas should be clad in Black. That way you won't get any glare reflecting into your eyes, obscuring your vision of the dozens of tiny knobs, switches, sliders and indicators on the typical Mesa control panel.
Man you just don't miss a chance to get that same comment in on every Mesa thread. Sorry they're too complicated for you man, must be tough to not be able to figure an amp out.

guitarman3001

Should I also assume that modern cars are a little too complex for you and you are currently driving one of these?

:D

Trending Topics