First year Fender Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by korby, Feb 17, 2012.

1. korby

korby Member

Are 1991 Fender Custom Shops any good or was there a learning curve ?

2. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I think the Fender CS was actually started in 1987. Just two great builders (John Page, Michael Stevens) working then. I'm sure quality has always been good.

3. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Yes they are good. I would love to have one of the early ones. Most of them were one-offs and I don't think the custom shop was even listed on some of the literature Fender had been putting out. Back then, the custom shop was working with a few artist, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and did not have the employees working in the shop, like they do now. Also I believe the coin phrase "Team Built" was not being used yet.

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I think Elliot Easton has one of, if not the very first CS instruments made...anyway he had more than a few made for him. (mostly because hes a lefty I think)

5. jsams3

jsams3 Supporting Member

I own a 1990 custom shop strat and it is by far the best strat I've ever played (I have not had the pleasure of playing a vintage tho). I've played many new custom shop models and owned a 2008 strat (sold it after buying the 1990). Nothing compares to the 1990.

6. mocaster

mocaster Silver Supporting Member

I had a 1988 Dakota Red Custom Shop Eric Clapton.

What a guitar...the shop was still being structured and the paint had some fish eyes from contamination and was picked up by a rep and replaced 4 months later with a Seven Up Green.

It was a nice guitar, but that red one was magical...

Lost my job and had to sell the green one to make the house payment in 1989...

Those were a couple of great guitars...

7. magnus02

magnus02 Member

yea... considering the two guys who were running the shop i'd say those might be some of the best ones they ever put out...