Fishman Powerbridge Hum

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by clayton.i, Feb 6, 2015.

1. clayton.i

clayton.i Member

I'm planning to install a fishman powerbridge on my Les Paul shortly - keeping it passive and really simple by wiring it to an on-off switch then straight to the ring of the stereo output jack. I'll be using an LR Baggs Para DI for all EQ and volume controls for the powerbridge, leaving the magnetic pickups and their controls/circuit completely unaffected.

I've had one of these before, and if I recall I had issues with ground hum because the magnetic and piezo signals go to separate amps (I always assumed it was normal, if it isn't please let me know!!) - I used to get round it with a different preamp for the piezo that had a ground lift. Obviously the Baggs Para DI doesn't have a ground lift, and it requires phantom power, so I'm left looking at my options. I'm not completely up with what's safe and I don't want to take any risks.

Would something like the Behringer MICROHD HD400 in front of the Para DI do the job? Has anyone used one for a similar purpose?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ian.

2. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

I have a powerbridge on my tele that I just finished and I don't have any issues. However, I DO have the Fishman preamp onboard so that might be something that impacts that. I would suggest adding it as it really makes it sound nice.

Here is a clip with the tele as an acoustic on rhythm and toggled over to the Charlie Christian pickup in the neck and phaser for the melody.

https://soundcloud.com/chuck-raudonis/moondance-sampler-new-telecaster

3. clayton.i

clayton.i Member

That's weird, the guitar I had the ground hum problem with was wired using the powerchip, although I still had the magnetic pickups bypassing the powerchip so they didn't get affected if the battery was dead. Perhaps that's what causes the problem? How do you have yours wired up? Do you have the two signals going to separate amps?

4. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

I have the electrics going through the power chip too. Depending on what cable I use I have the choice of both going to one amp or if I use a stereo cable I can route them independently to two different amps.

5. clayton.i

clayton.i Member

And when you use a stereo cable into two amps there's no hum?