Fishman SA220

Terry Hayes

I have used one of these for solo acoustic gigs for several years now and I love it. It is easily one the best equipment purchases I have ever made. It sounds great, is lightweight, easy to set up and tear down, and is versatile. The dual inputs are nice as I can set one channel up for nylon string and the other for my steel string.

There is lots of gain which is nice for my low output B-Band pickup system.

The system offers wide dispersion which makes it easy to hear yourself and fill the room without being too loud. And it is less boxy than any acoustic guitar combo- style amp that I have tried. The only amp in the same class is the AER but that is only based on hearing others players use that amp; I have never tried one personally.

I would never go back to using powered speakers and a mixer after this. The SA220 even works as a small PA for quiet trio gigs ( the wide dispersion means you don't need a vocal monitor). It has also worked well for announcements (wedding reception) in a hall seating 200 people.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I have used one of these for solo acoustic gigs for several years now and I love it. It is easily one the best equipment purchases I have ever made. It sounds great, is lightweight, easy to set up and tear down, and is versatile. The dual inputs are nice as I can set one channel up for nylon string and the other for my steel string.

There is lots of gain which is nice for my low output B-Band pickup system.

The system offers wide dispersion which makes it easy to hear yourself and fill the room without being too loud. And it is less boxy than any acoustic guitar combo- style amp that I have tried. The only amp in the same class is the AER but that is only based on hearing others players use that amp; I have never tried one personally.

I would never go back to using powered speakers and a mixer after this. The SA220 even works as a small PA for quiet trio gigs ( the wide dispersion means you don't need a vocal monitor). It has also worked well for announcements (wedding reception) in a hall seating 200 people.
What Terry Hayes said. GREAT piece of gear!

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
I liked it when I tested it, but I ended up getting a SR Jam 150+ instead. IMO, it was a better sounding amp. But the best sounding acoustic amp in that price range is the Schertler David, not as versatile though, features wise (the SR has more channels).

As a matter of fact, I think Schertler bought off SR, so they've pretty much cornered the market...

Now, a Schertler Unico Deluxe, that's an amp!

Seegs

I liked it when I tested it, but I ended up getting a SR Jam 150+ instead. IMO, it was a better sounding amp. But the best sounding acoustic amp in that price range is the Schertler David, not as versatile though, features wise (the SR has more channels).

As a matter of fact, I think Schertler bought off SR, so they've pretty much cornered the market...usti

Now, a Schertler Unico Deluxe, that's an amp!
After owning an AER and testing several others the Shertler Unico is the finest acoustic amp I have ever plugged into...

Chow,
Seeg

EricPeterson

I have used one, it worked very well I thought. I ended up going with a cheaper PA, I felt like for the money it was a little expensive, but the form factor and ease are hard to beat.

mtperry85

I picked one up used off CL a few months ago for $700. It's a great piece of equipment that lives in my jam room. I didn't have much room for a PA, and the SA220 can run 3 inputs if needed (guitar and vocals in the front with EQ and keyboard into the aux input in the back). I've got a friend that plays acoustic guitar in a country band, and he's getting rid of his current amp and upgrading to the Fishman after playing through mine.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Of course there are better and way more expensive "acoustic" type PA's than the SA 220, but it does what it does quite nicely and if one shops around, can be had for a very reasonable price.
The SA 220 has eliminated a bunch of other gear we had to schlep around & set up to play duo & small trio gigs.
Great little solution. I have had one for a year now & recommend it highly.

Trending Topics