Fitlertron Pickups.....I need some opinions!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pirateflynn, Sep 5, 2006.

1. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

TV Jones Filtertron pickups really interest me but I don't have any experiance with them. What do you guys think? How about with a Semi Hollow Spruce top 25.5 guitar?

Thanks!

2. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I put a set of TV Trons (humbucker sized filters)in my Koll Duo Glide. (chambered alder body, maple top) and love them. Plenty of clarity,sparkle, and balls. They really mesh well with that guitar.

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

I had some TVJ's in an 03 Gretsch hollowbody...beautiful sounding guitar, made better by Tom's pickups.

As Blunder said, chime, clarity, balls, its all there.

I don't know what Tom's daily schedule is like right now, but it used to be you could call him right up & talk about what you're looking for & what you play (gear & music-wise) & he'd make suggestions. Great guy to deal with, great products.

The Gretsch Country Club 6196 is a Spruce topped, 25.5" scale guitar, & TV's sound fantastic in that thing, I'm sure they'll sound great in a semi-hollow, too.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

An outstanding match for that configuration.

5. haslar

haslar Member

I use TV Jones TV'Tron in my Heritage H535.
    They replaced WCR pickups.
    They sound very, very different. Not better, just different.
    I was chasing the Malcolm young sound, and WCRs just didn't cut it.

The TV'Trons are less powerful, are less warm and sound less creamy and less bluesy/jazzy than the WCRs. Definitely not Gibson-like.

I really like those pickups. Clear, articulate. Good match with a semi-solid.

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm jonsing bad for a Gretsch but can't swing one right now. I'm going to do a Gretsch-alike project with either 1) my Epi ES-295. Trying to figure how to mount a set of Filtertrons in place of the dogear P90s.

Or, 2) a set of TV's P90-sized 'Trons in my Les Paul Pro Deluxe.

Which would you do?

7. Roe

Roe Member

tvclassic is the best pup ever in my opinion. from beatles to ac/dc to rockabilly to the who etc

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I've put his humbucker-sized Filtertorn in Les Paul's. I've put 'em in a McInturff. I've also tried his Powertrons in a McInturff. I upgraded the trons in a Gretsch reissue with his pickups.

Bottom line, if you want Filtertrons, you want TV Jones Filtertrons. I think that they would add another dimension in your configuration...something very unique and distinctive.

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I have a pair of TV Classics in my Jackie-Jet now but also have a Classic Plus bridge PUP sitting on my counter waiting for installation. I decided to order one after playing one of Jim Solloway's Swans with the pair, they seem to balance together better than a pair of Classics (on my 'Jet now, I have the bridge PUP raised WAY up high and the neck PUP low to generate a good volume balance).

10. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member