Five 'bad back' threads - lightweight amp suggestions ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Snakum, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Snakum

Snakum Member

I've been catching up on my TGP threads this weekend and I've counted five threads that include references to bad backs and needing a solid-state or 1x12 amp to lighten the load. I thought I was one of the few old farts around here at 42, but I guess not. :D

I don't know about any of the hi-dollar booteek jobbies that a lot of you guys are into, but for the low-rent or less picky amongst us ...

I have been using a pair of Classic 30s or a C30 with a Vibrolux for the last few years, primarily due to back problems (the C30s also sound awesome when set up properly). It is among the lightest of the tube combos, is very reliable, and can be set up for Marshall clank or Fender BF cranked toneage depending on speaker and tube choices.

Also, the newest Crate tube combos are rumored to be more reliable than the older VC series, which had a lot of problems with solder joints on the boards, and they've always sounded pretty killer. The new models are really quite toneful ... and very light weight. :D

Fender Deluxe Reverb is also small and light, and sounds killer. It may not be giggable if you need a lot of clean headroom for a heavy-handed drummer.

Traynor's 50 'Blue' 1x12 sounded awesomely 'Marshall' in Randy's clips, and it is very reasonably priced. The 40 watt 6L6 is very good if cranked Fender is your thing. Relatively light, and a good value.

And the all-time winner in the bad-back combos for mere mortals ...

A Peavey Bandit with an Eminence British-series speaker and a cap job. :D

Ya'll have a happy and prosperous New Year!:BEER

2. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Not having back problems (knock knock knock) but some tendon issues. I'm using either a GT Soul-O 45 head or a MAZ 18, with light 1x12 or 2x10 cabs (Z Best, Bob Burt, TR112).

Much better.

3. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

Are you serious about the cap job on the Bandit? What does that do?

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

On the bad back front, I've been impressed by a few larger amps that were a lot lighter than they looked:

CNP's Vicky 35115
    Billy Penn's Tweed Custom with 15" speaker
    '55 Fender Bassman

The Pro types in particular are a breeze to carry. One speaker, no reverb and light pine cab will do that. As if I need another reason to lust after tweed amps ...

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I gave up having a bad back and started working out in August 2004. :D

That said, I bought and use a cart that breaks down to lug the gear in one trip.

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I LOVE my 37 lb. Reverend Hellhound, sounds awesome & easy on the back.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

38 lb TopHat Club Deluxe 1x12 is doing it for me at the moment....

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The Fuchs head I was was pretty darn light. Also, the Pritchard combo amps are very light and have more power than just about anything I've heard. The Peavey would be interesting if they had a wood cabinet. I don't understand why you'd use that with a bad back though because I find it to be insanely heavy with the particle board cab.

BTW, the built-in sheffield speaker sounds good to me.

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 - Great little amp I bought for practice/rehearsal purposes. But the more I play it the more I think it will see some live duty, and soon!

10. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

I have a tech 21 tm-10, its only 10 watts but the xlr out is very useful for going into the PA. sounds pretty nice too IMO.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I put neodymium speakers in everything I own. My C30 is now 31#!! I used the Jensen Neo until about 5 months ago when I discovered the Celestion Century Vintage. Sounds great and is weightless. Even with light amps, if there's any significant carry distance, I use a folding hand truck. Also saves the fingers.

59 with a VERY bad back....... :mad:

Also, I don't own guitars that are much over 6#.

jon

12. Boogs

Boogs Member

I just picked up a Valvetrain Po' Boy for a (public trans) city-boy solution - an unfinished (I'm going to stain, lacquer, and corner it on the cheap) tweed Champ clone. It has the 8" (Jensen, and I'll try a Weber sig) speaker, and weighs only 14 lbs! It's a 5 watt tube-rectified 6V6 etc., of course, but hopefully will be loud enough for me to take to miked or house jams on the bus since I'll be OD'ing it.

Then there's the Classic 30, which I bus'd to the LGS to check out a guitar. Manageable, but I don't like walking far with it. I'll have a ceramic Blue Dog in there very shortly.

I'll never forget gigging with a 80's Yamaha G100-115, the world's most overbuilt solid state amp. 65-70 lbs! :eek: Too much for 1 15" speaker and 100 solid-state watts, fer sher. I think my Carvin x100b and 2x12 -w- Wizards would give me over twice the clean volume for only a few pounds more.

13. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Tell us how much clean headroom you need. That will help narrow it down.

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Ditto on the Bassman. I've got a high quality 5F6-A kit clone with a pine cab; just light enough to be manageable and at 4x10 with 2 6L6s, it's all the club amp you're likely to ever need. The Fender re-issues seem just a bit too heavy by comparison.

And also, the Budda Twinmaster is an incredibly lightweight tone winner.

/rick

17. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    To heck with those casters...bring on anti-grav/levitation/...!

I have degenerative disk disease with the bottom two discs extruded/leaking and the third going. The weight thing is more and more important these days, and will eventually be the discriminator for my purchases/usage, I'm afraid.

My Rake Reverb and Avatar 2-12" are fairly back friendly. So is the modded Carvin Nomad. The Matchless DC-30 gets little love these days... ;)

Slick51

18. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I have 2..countem'..2 Bad Cat "Bad Back" R's.
    I think I am going to order 1x12 combo cabinets and load them with the Neo's.
    My Kendrick 2210's are a great chioce for weight/power.
    There has been alot of talk about the Tech 60 regarding weight/tone.

19. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Those come with a big mag vin30 and a solid, solid cab; not light in my book!

Time to think head and cab!!!! Unless you go neodium!!!!!

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

definitely invest in one of these:

[​IMG]

i have two, and they're one of the few pieces of gear that have been w/ me the longest. ;)

but unless you have lots to spend, try going for a modular system, of head + cab. if they're made of pine, they'll be even lighter.