Five Fret Scale System

psklaroff

Hi Everybody,

Here's a scale system (this example uses the major scale, but it will work with most any scale) that helps you get all 12 keys covered within a span of just five frets.

I've found this approach really helpful in my own playing development and I hope you will too.

Enjoy,

Pete

DNW

Thanks for posting this. I played with it a little and it seems pretty handy. I also passed it on to a friend who's early on in her guitar playing (although plenty of years on keys), so she hopefully gets used to thinking outside of those set scale patterns/boxes rather than having to later re-learn her way out of them. :aok

psklaroff

Thanks for posting this. I played with it a little and it seems pretty handy. I also passed it on to a friend who's early on in her guitar playing (although plenty of years on keys), so she hopefully gets used to thinking outside of those set scale patterns/boxes rather than having to later re-learn her way out of them. :aok
Thanks very much! :)

MikePinch

Yeah this is really useful.

I've been doing this for a little while as Mike Walker also teaches something similar. It wasn't immediately obvious as to the benefits of this system, but once I get into it everything became clear.

It makes so much sense.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
Funny. I just recently (completely independently from TGP) found Petes website and this video and have been working on this. Great exercise that I'll keep doing over the months/years to get a little smoother.

Seems like You're a good teacher, Pete.

S1Player

I agree - it makes sense to be able to move between scales efficiently and within 5 frets seems like a reasonable efficiency yardstick. But, isn't that all this lesson is saying?

I am not seeing anything new. Using the whole note scale as an example (same is true of any other scale or mode), I still have to memorize the shape at whatever group of 5 frets I am playing. And, that's the hard part - the memorizing and practicing the shapes. Moving between within 5 frets is easier.

Am I missing a tip in the video that actually make learning the scale shape within 5 frets in all keys easier? Or is this just a directive to go out and do that learning?

I appreciate the lesson videos a lot, so this is not meant as a criticism. I feel like I am missing something on this one.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
I Or is this just a directive to go out and do that learning?
I think that's what it is. There are a number of easy 1 octave fingerings within that area so it shouldn't be too hard to find some that work for you.

The Bill Leavitt Modern Method for Guitar books had a more strict approach of doing all 12 scales without moving your hand out of position other than one fret stretches for the first and fourth fingers, so at any/every position you could play 12 distinct 2 octave scales, though they didn't all start and end on the root.

S1Player

I think that's what it is. There are a number of easy 1 octave fingerings within that area so it shouldn't be too hard to find some that work for you.

The Bill Leavitt Modern Method for Guitar books had a more strict approach of doing all 12 scales without moving your hand out of position other than one fret stretches for the first and fourth fingers, so at any/every position you could play 12 distinct 2 octave scales, though they didn't all start and end on the root.
I have just being learning the scales and modes everywhere - I think one result of that is being able to play any key/mode/scale at a particular point on the fret board. Sounds like I am onboard with this - though I wouldn't quite call it a scale system. It's really more a directive to do the learning of the mode/scale and key combos.

Trending Topics